The 'Where To Next?' Thread.

Guest Josh92

Guest JockeSve

does that xiaomi phone have a UK radio? i.e will it work fully with UK 2g and 3g signal?

I was wondering that, doesn't say, UK is 900/1800MHz I think.

As for wireless, the handset supports 850/1900/2100 MHz UMTS and has a 42Mbps HSPA+ radio

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/news/Xiaomi-Phone-2-announced---the-first-with-quad-core-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-tops-Quadrant-is-just-310_id33354#1-

Guest sej7278

A sub-£100 ARM7 phone with decent specs and a >4" screen.

At the moment it'd probably be a G300, but I'll wait because my phone isn't a year old anyway xD

gonna have to have 1gb ram to meet the cm10 specs, so the g300 is out unless you're happy with a stock rom (should get jb) or another semi-functional device.

Guest tilal6991

gonna have to have 1gb ram to meet the cm10 specs, so the g300 is out unless you're happy with a stock rom (should get jb) or another semi-functional device.

As far as what I've read 512 MB RAM devices are supported but 512 ROM devices are not.

Guest Redstarr1

Thinking of getting a Sony Xperia SL and of course keeping and devving for the Skate.

I was wondering if that's a typo, but just saw the announcement. Still mostly the same as the Xperia S, so it has the same S3 Snapdragon as the Sensation I'm getting tomorrow :P. Well a turbo version, clocked 500 MHz higher. I wonder if the see-through bar is touch-sensitive now.

sorry mate I am not a radio guy so have no idea what mhz we need and which type of modem stuff is needed. please just say yes or no :D

That's an American website, don't know either if those frequencies will work in the UK. There's a European version expected in the first half 2013 though. But knowing the Chinese manufacturers I expect some delays, ZTE and Huawei were also supposed to have brought quadcore phones to Europe by now.

Guest tilal6991

I was wondering if that's a typo, but just saw the announcement. Still mostly the same as the Xperia S, so it has the same S3 Snapdragon as the Sensation I'm getting tomorrow :P. Well a turbo version, clocked 500 MHz higher. I wonder if the see-through bar is touch-sensitive now.

Yeah. I'm not bothered that it's a generation behind - it's the best in the generation. I'd much rather be getting a device where devs aren't already established so I can get in early :P. Plus the lowest S4 for now is the One S and that's £400 through O2 which is the operator I'd like to buy through (don't need to unlock for giffgaff :P)

Guest Redstarr1

Oh it wasn't my point that it's a generation behind, wouldn't be getting a phone with that soc myself if that bothered me. I was actually thinking about getting an Xperia S myself as well, but it's a bit expensive. There's a project from Google to make AOSP-firmware for the Xperia S, should be interesting as well.

Wow the One S is £400 in the UK? That's more than here... But if you buy a One S, you're not even sure that it has an S4, or maybe Qualcomm solved their supply shortage by now.

Guest David.Andzy

Well, of course it would be SIII or One X...only saying it would because of money issue. I was thinking on switching to HTC Desire, what do you guys think? I can buy it without adding some extra money and think it's better than Skate. So basicly you get more for same price. Or am I wrong?

Guest crnadakm

Used Xperia ARCs or GrandX, but I doubt that I will find GrandX here..

And used SE ARC S can be found for 200E here...

I want a phone with better camera and HD video recording, for me those are the only things Skate needs.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been asked what phone someone should get, they're looking for a cheap contract Android phone. I don't really know contract prices but I'd imagine it'd need to be at least under £200 pay as you go.

Is there anything I should suggest that's not below? They'll most likely not be customising it (sadly) so it'll need to be good out the box OS wise.

Xperia U

Xperia ARC

G300

Grand X

Decided not to suggest the San Diego as I'm not convinced the standard OS will be great and I'd also suggest he doesn't go with Orange, may well add it if he can find a good contract deal with them. Anything else? Thank you all. :)

Guest hugobosslives

Agreed.

Also I've changed my next phone to the Xperia T from the SL.

My god, the specs on that thing look amazing.

they look good. but I want something more special than the adreno 225. The new s4 chip comes with the 325 in some guises. Want.

Guest tilal6991

Yeah but that won't be available for some time. And don't get taken in by the massive number jump - it's unlikely to be that profound.

Yeah The Xperia T pwns all other devices at benchmarks so looking forward to it.

Guest razzmataz1478

The only thing I can fault these phones on..is:

No USB 3.0 :(

Oh, but Xperia T, onscreen buttons, yeyeyeyeye. I'll have to try and win this phone somehow.

Edited by razzmataz1478

Is USB 3.0 really needed for a phone? Not to me. Only really worthwhile for large files, it's unlikely you're going to be doing that too often on it. Any news on a price for that?

Both, particularly the MHL (for me at least) would be nice & useful features but they're not essential. Besides USB 2.0 can do both those surely? You can play a 1080p video file over 2.0, do you really need any more? Not a feature I'd really expect a mid-range phone to have quite yet.

Guest razzmataz1478
Both, particularly the MHL (for me at least) would be nice & useful features but they're not essential. Besides USB 2.0 can do both those surely? You can play a 1080p video file over 2.0, do you really need any more? Not a feature I'd really expect a mid-range phone to have quite yet.

Well, it depends on compression. USB2 would struggle with a high bitrate 1080p video/movie, when you include the limited read speed of an internal SD.

If you wany official we've got a dev on CM10 now

Well, it depends on compression. USB2 would struggle with a high bitrate 1080p video/movie, when you include the limited read speed of an internal SD.

Good point on the read speed of the SD but do really want to play high bit rate 1080p files to a TV via your mid range phone? Asking a bit much at this stage. Not even convinced the processor/graphics card could handle that yet alone the bus type.