The 'Where To Next?' Thread.

Guest Josh92

Guest Josh92

Thought I, and hopefully a lot of you guys would find a thread like this useful.

Basically a place for Skaters to discuss the various options that are coming along for upgrading from the Skate, notably at the moment for me: Orange San Diego, ZTE Era, ZTE Mimosa X, and arguably the G300. But I'm sure they'll probably be more on the way.

I think where the rest of the community goes could be an important factor to many so a discussion would be interesting :)

Without knowing prices of the others yet, I'm very tempted by the San Diego once we know more on it's status, but ZTE's offerings sure look tempting too.

Guest hugobosslives

exactly the phones i am looking at.

i suspect the zte ones will be the best value for most raw power.

but the x86 architecture intrigues me on the SD. I am very tempted to check it out.

Guest tilal6991

Not sure but defo an arm phone. Hopefully something good. And if you want to know why I don't like x86 see my post at

Guest Redstarr1

I plan to have my Skate at least for a year, and got it in november, so I don't think about what I'm getting next. I'll probably buy my new phone after I graduate and it'll be something a bit more premium then.

Guest hugobosslives

Not sure but defo an arm phone. Hopefully something good. And if you want to know why I don't like x86 see my post at http://www.modaco.co...s?#entry1968092

all very true.

but doesn't your inner geek call out to you to play with it.

yes it will be hard and long. but then so are the best things in life.....

EDIT: no sexual joke intended :blush:

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest razzmataz1478

all very true.

but doesn't your inner geek call out to you to play with it.

yes it will be hard and long. but then so are the best things in life.....

EDIT: no sexual joke intended :blush:

:D

I also plan to have my skate for at least a year, and after some consideration, I've decided that I'll probably not get a G300 or any other low to middle end phone out there right now:

My next phone will have 4G, and will definitely be Ice Cream Sandwich, if not Jelly Bean.

With the Skate been my first android phone, I really have come to love it. I really want to get in developing. Before my mind set was on doing some type of Computer Science course in later life, now I see that as the only option and only thing I'd like to do at a job. It might seem a bit narrow minded, but I'm addicted!

'The Android Effect'

Guest Voxpop2011

Thought I, and hopefully a lot of you guys would find a thread like this useful.

Basically a place for Skaters to discuss the various options that are coming along for upgrading from the Skate, notably at the moment for me: Orange San Diego, ZTE Era, ZTE Mimosa X, and arguably the G300. But I'm sure they'll probably be more on the way.

I think where the rest of the community goes could be an important factor to many so a discussion would be interesting :)

Without knowing prices of the others yet, I'm very tempted by the San Diego once we know more on it's status, but ZTE's offerings sure look tempting too.

A good question. I have enjoyed returning to Android in the form of the Skate and the active community hear. However, I suspect that I may move sideways and get a HTC HD2. Even though this is obstensibly a Windows phone and four years old, it is capable of running Android AND ice cream sandwich. In any event, I will keep the Skate until August when I will have had it for a year.

Guest plegdroid

I am with the skate for another year, will have to look at new phones when the need arises, but will definatly need to be tweakable.

Guest sui785

I'm keeping my eyes on ZTE phones coz my Skate was really easy hackable compared to my Desire Z (which has S-OFF and all that extra HTC security crap).

The only bad thing about the Skate is the build quality, the back cover feels very cheap and there can easily get dust under the screen.

• 1 month later...
Guest Josh92

So ZTE have posted a promo video on their facebook page confirming it is the Grand X they've been preparing to announce, interested to see where/when you can buy it and how much. ZTE promoted it saying it can 'be in your hands' today, seems they've lied about that one.

http://www.facebook.com/ZTEUK

• 2 weeks later...
Guest omegavesko

Those are currently the best ones, I think.

On another note, I'm under contract until 2014, so I'm not going anywhere. :P

Guest Voxpop2011

I was previously looking at the Alcatel One touch 995, but I reckon the Huawei honor is better looking with a slightly better spec - a 8MP camera as opposed to the Alcatel's 5MP. Still new mid-price smartphones are being released all the time, so I think I can bide my time.

Edited by Voxpop2011

Guest JetKun

A sub-£100 ARM7 phone with decent specs and a >4" screen.

Sounds impossible?

Nope.

Got my OMC brand new for £80 so I won't settle for anything less.

At the moment it'd probably be a G300, but I'll wait because my phone isn't a year old anyway xD

Guest razzmataz1478

A sub-£100 ARM7 phone with decent specs and a >4" screen.

Sounds impossible?

Nope.

Got my OMC brand new for £80 so I won't settle for anything less.

What do you mean?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Redstarr1

I just decided to get some dualcore awesomeness and buy myself an HTC Sensation. Got it in a bargain, same price as I paid for my Skate, so I couldn't resist :).

Now I'm thinking about what to do with my Skate, I've really grown attached to it :D. Maybe I'll just give it to my girlfriend so I can keep on flashing roms, I'm really curious what the limit is of this phone, after Jelly Bean. On the other hand I can still get some money by selling this Skate meaning I'd buy my Sensation for next to nothing. But my heart cringes at the thought of selling it to some stranger who won't treat her right :( :P.

Guest JockeSve

I'm really looking forward for ZTE Era, prices and full "release specs" when it (if?) arrives...

It should be (according to rumors) be available in during early autumn.

Hopefully even here in Sweden.

In worst case, I might buy one from China and have a friend to bring it back home...

Another interesting low-budget phone to play around with is "Xiaomi Phone 2", lot of bang for the buck.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/xiaomi-phone-2-quad-core/

Edited by JockeSve

Guest Josh92

That Xiomi Phone 2 sounds very interesting! Doesn't seem to say what clockspeed it's at but if it's quad core it can't be bad! Definitely one I'll keep an eye on, especially wih JB as you say Verhaaltjes

Guest Josh92

does that xiaomi phone have a UK radio? i.e will it work fully with UK 2g and 3g signal?

I was wondering that, doesn't say, UK is 900/1800MHz I think.