The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien
dam it iv bricked it by flashing then unsigned recovery

Yup, that's an unrecoverable brick, I had that too.

Fastboot is launched from recovery. No recovery, no fastboot.

P

Guest scud22

Hi All, New to this forum. :)

Is it safe to flash the xolo update, and do I just copy it to sd and update through usb? Also I noticed Kabirsaini said change the name of the update. It just shows as update.zip, should I leave it as that?

Thanks for your help

Guest kabirsaini2011

Hi All, New to this forum. :)

Is it safe to flash the xolo update, and do I just copy it to sd and update through usb? Also I noticed Kabirsaini said change the name of the update. It just shows as update.zip, should I leave it as that?

Thanks for your help

i said to replace bootloaders ....buy the way u can flash without replacing xolo bootloaders

Guest caliston

There must be some way of recovering a phone from corrupted flash. The only ways I can think of are JTAG and some special magic with the USB or HDMI port (eg special value resistors that switch the port into a non-USB/HDMI mode).

Looking at the PCB there appear to be a selection of testpoints underneath near the micro USB:

full-board-side1.jpg

They're directly underneath the CPU. I wonder if they might be useful for poking around with JTAG. Anyone feeling brave...?

Guest PaulOBrien
There must be some way of recovering a phone from corrupted flash. The only ways I can think of are JTAG and some special magic with the USB or HDMI port (eg special value resistors that switch the port into a non-USB/HDMI mode).

Looking at the PCB there appear to be a selection of testpoints underneath near the micro USB:

full-board-side1.jpg

They're directly underneath the CPU. I wonder if they might be useful for poking around with JTAG. Anyone feeling brave...?

You can put the phone in a special mode by powering on with camera button held, it shows up as MEDFIELD with no drivers found and no idea what app to use.

This worked even post bricking for me, although obviously I couldn't do anything useful.

P

Guest Atlask

You can put the phone in a special mode by powering on with camera button held, it shows up as MEDFIELD with no drivers found and no idea what app to use.

This worked even post bricking for me, although obviously I couldn't do anything useful.

P

This is exactly what i found yesterday ;)

I think there's a bios in this smartphone , and it's not a joke !

Take a look on Intel BDLK ; maybe we can find a way to flash the phone or boot on a special mode ;)

Guest caliston

Hmm... here's some speculation.

Intel invested some money in Insyde, who do UEFI BIOS things and have an Android version called Humanos. So I wonder if Intel phones are using UEFI, since that's being mentioned in the context of Medfield.

I don't know too much about UEFI, but some of Intel's code is open source, and there's things like this recovery specification that look interesting. I wonder therefore if there's any UEFI tools that might do useful things over USB.

The other thing that might be interesting is to do an 'lsusb -vvv' and see what endpoints the recovery USB device is providing. Not sure that's going to be terribly helpful, but just possibly may encourage further guesses.

But a pretty big area of the die is devoted to security, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much...

Guest rickywyatt

@paul could you contact intel and ask them about if you hold the camera key it brings up a special mode and what its used for

I like where the conversation is going.....still some hope yet :D

@rickywyatt, are you still holding a brick ? Can you not take back to orange get replacement ?

I wonder if in safe mode we could try some root methods? maybe pointless, but I am going to try, better than not trying right.

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

i going today lets hope thay dont notes i opend it and removed the lcd ribon because if i did do that thay would have see an xolo logo lol

Guest rickywyatt

Good luck :)

thanks got to ring up the web orange shop as i got it from there lets hope thay will send a new on by tomorrow

If only orange was so good with customer care, yeah and pigs will fly........oh I forgot, they already do lol, oh well maybe hope for orange yet.

Seeing as xolo seem more customer friendly, maybe someone could approach them about the boot loader situation, or maybe we may be lucky and an xolo insider will help, wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by Guest

Guest kabirsaini2011

If only orange was so good with customer care, yeah and pigs will fly........oh I forgot, they already do lol, oh well maybe hope for orange yet.

Seeing as xolo seem more customer friendly, maybe someone could approach them about the boot loader situation, or maybe we may be lucky and an xolo insider will help, wouldn't be the first time.

they wont break there phone's security.