The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bobr76

update version stated in email is same as uploaded on site

So there is new update there or not? :) The update file looks and feels same as it was days ago.

Let me try it...

Update: loaded and nothing new, same old 2.3.7...

Edited by bobr76

Guest PaulOBrien

You should ask your Dad to help us! :P

It's all about bootloaders, entry points and "magic" signatures. Also, the hex address 0x4334 is very pertinent to this exploit, and so is is a certain dd if=*something* of=/dev/*something* bs=512 count=1 ;)

Without root dd ain't gonna do nothing.

I'm still working on this too.

glossywhite, how about this. You seem pretty sure you can root - how about you buy one, if you find a root exploit, I'll pay for your device.

Can't say fairer than that. There are plenty of us looking for root without donations as well so...

P

Guest glossywhite

Without root dd ain't gonna do nothing.

I'm still working on this too.

glossywhite, how about this. You seem pretty sure you can root - how about you buy one, if you find a root exploit, I'll pay for your device.

Can't say fairer than that. There are plenty of us looking for root without donations as well so...

P

If I had the cash, I'd buy it, hence the donations. Do you think I have a "spare" £200 laying around with nothing else better to do with it? I have another idea - someone lend me a San Diego, and I'll try my best, and return it either way.

I have never once said I am "pretty sure" I can root - you make me sound like I have boasted, whereas I have merely tried to encourage people to donate, so that I may at least TRY. I said I am confident in my skills and will try my utmost to help, but I would be a fool to offer such a prideful and unprovable promise, right?

If I had £200 laying around, I have FAR better things to be spending it on, with the greatest of respect, this isn't real life - this is a hobby project for enthusiasts - let's get this in perspective. I'm not in the least bit interested in buying this handset personally - I'd hack it and see what I can find, but no amount of persuasion or motivation is going to change the hard facts - I don't want one, I can't afford one, and I'm indifferent as to whether or not the outcome from whatever angle means that you guys get it rooted or not, no offence intended.

If someone can get me one, somehow, I'll try. I am not spending more time than I need to on this, until I physically HAVE the device, as I have said before. I have no incentive to do this - I am doing it because I am a kind guy, but I am also very skint. You run this site, get phones donated and sponsorship money given to you, which of course I have NO right or will to begrudge you, but you cannot realistically expect to view everyone else from your personal standpoint.

I have skills - good skills, but no money right now, and any that I do have goes on day to day food. I hope you can understand I am very willing to help, and slightly frustrated that my skills are untapped for this project thus far, but only because I want to help others, if they can help me. I have ZERO financial incentive, I don't need one, I am content with my life, and for those saying "you'll get a free phone" - well yes, but a phone I don't want, and you stand a chance of your handsets being rooted - you're the people who care about this, after all :)

Thank you for the kind offer, however.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

You said it Paul!!!

Now that's a mega deal!!!

And if I don't root it or get any clues, I'm down £180 of my own money for something which is of no use to me, which I literally don't have, and if I did, it wouldn't be squandered on a mobile phone which I don't need. I have the passion for hacking, not the ownership of the device. MAYBE if I had a healthy income I'd consider it, but my income is literally ZERO right now.

If someone wants to get one to me, I'll get going asap... that's literally all I CAN do - I am broke! :)

Guest shootomanUK

@PaulOBrien

Hi paul, do you have any idea what EngineerMode.apk is ?

i found it in the latest k800 ics rom, ive extracted it and tried to run it on the osd but it fails to parse.

could i get it to run by editing it with eclipse but im not sure ?, also couldnt find anything to do with engineering mode in the system/bin of the rom ?

do you have any idea ?

cheers

nevermind.....i changed the .apk file to a .zip file and browsed the contents, it seems as if its an app to test stuff like the compass, gps,screen e.t.c

^_^

Edited by shootomanUK

Guest rajivshastri

I just ordered a xolo cos I like the specs a lot. While I'm willing to live without the options that rooting and an unlocked bootloader offer, I would obviously love to have access to them. To that end, I have written to Xolo Care asking them to let me know the process for rooting and unlocking the bootloader. I have also written that locking me out of parts of my own phone is an infringement of my property rights and I will take legal recourse if they do not respond with the process.

This isn't an empty threat. I stopped using the iPhone because of its restrictive nature and since it's not an Indian company, I wasn't sure whether legal action in India would have the desired impact. But Lava is an Indian company and sells this phone only in India. It would be concerned about any legal action here which would threaten their ability to sell this phone.

I plan to wait a week for them to respond and then initiate legal action against them. Will keep you guys posted on developments.

Best

Guest glossywhite

I just ordered a xolo cos I like the specs a lot. While I'm willing to live without the options that rooting and an unlocked bootloader offer, I would obviously love to have access to them. To that end, I have written to Xolo Care asking them to let me know the process for rooting and unlocking the bootloader. I have also written that locking me out of parts of my own phone is an infringement of my property rights and I will take legal recourse if they do not respond with the process.

This isn't an empty threat. I stopped using the iPhone because of its restrictive nature and since it's not an Indian company, I wasn't sure whether legal action in India would have the desired impact. But Lava is an Indian company and sells this phone only in India. It would be concerned about any legal action here which would threaten their ability to sell this phone.

I plan to wait a week for them to respond and then initiate legal action against them. Will keep you guys posted on developments.

Best

LOL

I think you need to find something better to do, with all respect. That is ridiculous. You HAVE free will, you chose their product, therefore put up with how it is, or work out how to root it yourself.

Incredulous...

Edited by glossywhite

Guest nihalot

@glossywhite : that's where consumer forums come in. It's the right of the consumer to use the product which THEY paid for in whatsoever manner they wish and no company has the right to restrict the usage. Similar action had been taken by people using iPhone where apple had tried to restrict jailbreaking ; but the court ruled in favour of the people and apple was forced to remove the restrictions.

Guest vermat17

Best

I've been emailing them for the past few weeks, and the latest response I got was that rooting the phone was officially prohibited for them, so they can't help us.

Maybe threatening legal action will change their mind :P

I wish you good luck with it :D

Guest glossywhite

what about massive donate?

I can sign for something about $15

If there will be about 20 of us, we can buy OSD for rooter :)

Thus far, I have only received £25 in donations, it seems like this is a hard task to get people to donate, and it's not obligatory to do so. However, if more people donate, I'll be able to buy one.

Guest i am not a hacker

LOL

I think you need to find something better to do, with all respect. That is ridiculous. You HAVE free will, you chose their product, therefore put up with how it is, or work out how to root it yourself.

Incredulous...

At least he is trying to help and doesn't need the financial support from others to attempt to help.

Guest BlueMoonRising

@glossywhite : that's where consumer forums come in. It's the right of the consumer to use the product which THEY paid for in whatsoever manner they wish and no company has the right to restrict the usage. Similar action had been taken by people using iPhone where apple had tried to restrict jailbreaking ; but the court ruled in favour of the people and apple was forced to remove the restrictions.

Can anybody explain to me why Sky get away with disabling the recording function of the STBs if you don't pay them then?

Guest rajivshastri

To understand how property rights work, one has to differentiate between products and services. If a product is sold on a stand alone basis, like a car or a phone that isn't bundled with a contract, the purchase is a distinct and finite transaction. It transfers ownership from one party to another without any further obligation on the buyer. The seller may undertake some obligations like offering a warranty and the like, but the buyer is under no obligation whatsoever. In this scenario, locking the buyer out from parts of the product is an infringement of his/her property right and has the potential of invalidating the transaction. It is like selling a car, but with the condition that the driver can never open the glove box, or the boot.

Most phones globally are sold with a contract. This bundles a service along with the sale and the buyer does undertake further obligations. In this scenario, the transaction is not distinct, but initiates a relationship between the two parties. This muddies the issue of property rights a bit, since ongoing obligations on both sides may interfere with the property rights that arise out of the transaction. In the case of sky's STB, this is what happens. It is difficult to distinguish the property right of the hard disk on the STB from the right to record material on to it, which is a service for which Sky demands payment.

In this case specifically, the phone is being sold in India on a stand alone basis. When I buy it, complete and unhindered ownership is passed on to me. After the transaction, the seller cannot, by virtue of having a lock or any such thing, prevent me from accessing any part of it. This would be like someone selling a complete house but keeping a couple of rooms locked and out of bounds to the buyer.

Consumer forums in India are known to be quite responsive to property right issues. As I said earlier, I like the phone as it is, but on principle alone, would like to have the right to access all parts of it. Let's see how it goes.

I think some very good points are made there and certainly a case could be made. Laws are never what they seem, just look at some freeman of the land videos on youtube and you will see.