The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

I remember when the g300 ICS was sent to google, it was still several weeks before we got ICS if I remember right.

Google have no say in the bootloader in this device, yes on the intel motorola device they do but lava/orange/intel are in charge here, of course google get the last say which is why the software is sent to them for approval, but as far as I am aware they can not decide if bootloader is locked/unlocked.....correct me if I am wrong of course.

It would be nice if they had some pitty on us and leave at the least a root backdoor, one the enthusiast would find but not the average user that has no knowledge or interest in this side of android :D

Edited by Guest

Guest Ribs85

Indeed, the bootloader is nothing to do with Google, and won't be changed by them.

The only thing Google will do is check that the build matches compatibility, performance and user experience requirements.

There are some things Google mandates before they will allow the firmware to have Google services and Play market installed, and this is basically what they are checking.

The good news is that the process is automated[1]. So one *assumes* it's fairly quick process, all being well. I would *guess* that they would get that process done by the end of the week, *assuming* it passes all tests.

[1] http://source.android.com/faqs.html#compatibility

Guest Ribs85

Good find there Ribs, now we can tell (at least to some degree) whether xolo are lying if they don't release it within a week or so...

You're probably looking at two weeks. One for the certification to pass, after the odd tweak here or there, and another to set up the servers, infrastructure to push the updates, update support scripts/manuals for call centres. Not to mention the whole bunch of stuff I can't be bothered to mention here/don't know about.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't have ICS by the end of the month. At least Orange were (fairly) honest about October being the month for ICS.

But do take some perspective here. Samsung Galaxy S3 owners still haven't got their Jelly Bean update. Okay, so it's a whole update ahead of us, but it's a flagship device that is waiting for software that came out in June! I've also read recently that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon (y'know, that phone which is the 'pure Google experience' and should get it's updates way before anyone else) users are ONLY NOW getting the Jelly Bean update! That's after the software which was specifically designed for that ONE DEVICE has been out for nearly 4 months. Amazing what delay a carrier can add...

Our phone came out in June... Yeah, I know, it should have had ICS to begin with, but hey, the wait is (probably) nearly over. And in the mean time, we've had a fairly nice phone to play with. The wait will make us appreciate the ICS update that bit more!

Obviously, it would be nice to have a unlocked bootloader that we could just dump the intel reference image on...

Edited by Ribs85

Yep some good points there ribs85, same as the g300, as I mentioned above, I recall it was at least a few weeks after the update was sent for aproval that we got it. And as pointed out by b4da55, the g300 still has not had the UK update of ICS by vodafone, the one they have is the chinese version.

Not to mention the g300 got palmed off with a demo basically. When I had g300 there was no openGL or Hardware acceleration :blink:

Edited by Guest

Guest b4da55
Yep some good points there ribs85, same as the g300, as I mentioned above, I recall it was at least a few weeks after the update was sent for aproval that we got it. And as pointed out by b4da55, the g300 still has not had the UK update of ICS by vodafone, the one they have is the chinese version.

Not to mention the g300 got palmed off with a demo basically. When I had g300 there was no openGL or Hardware acceleration :blink:

Correct except now we are up to European generic version. I would take anything any company says to you regarding updates with a pinch of salt.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Correct except now we are up to European generic version. I would take anything any company says to you regarding updates with a pinch of salt.

Damn, I was trying to insert an image. NVM :(

post-828563-0-89449900-1349250164.jpg

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest BlueMoonRising

damn it.. sorry for the confusion, so then the k800 dont have the same hardware than xolo? k800 has 4.0.4 updates.

It's the same hardware as far as I can see (BT is being a pain this morning unless it's due to their new Sky Anytime service?).

Is that an official ICS upgrade? There's a thread on XDA http://forum.xda-dev...=1685304&page=7 which says it's rooted (or at least rootable) as well.

Edit :- No, it's actually slightly different in terms of bigger screen and such. Although the SoC seems to be the same.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest geekrohit

Ok, gonna wait then. By the amount of time they're taking, I feel they're really trying to block all the exploits. It is sad that Lava had to be like this. Probably if some other open minded company would have marketed the phone, things might have been different.