r1: Superboot - how to root the HTC Desire C

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 577610795783761d56b95e024793b8cf

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you need to unlock your bootloader via HTCdev first!

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

Guest pistolized

Hi Paul,

I've just attempted this root and am having problems.

The phone boots to a HTC logo with a red warning stating the build is for dev purposes only.

Nothing happens after that. I can reboot but, dont have root access.

Any advice you have much appreciated.

Guest pistolized

AH, I've just noticed the superboot file used may not be the one I need. I was under the impression all 'Superboot r1' files were the same. However the link above does not seem to work (file missing). Any other download links?

Guest Phoenix007

Hello Paul,

There is one problem, you state the following:

Note: If you are using a retail device, you need to unlock your bootloader via HTCdev first!

At HTCdev they don't have an unlocked HBOOT image for the HTC Desire C ...

So I can't imagine this is tested / working at all ...

Regards,

Phoenix007

ps.:

Entering bootloader mode on the HTC Desire C :

VOL DOWN + POWER switch

Your description does NOT work to get in bootloader mode.

Guest pistolized

It says on that HTCdev page that all htc phones after 07/2011 will come with the option to unlock the bootloader.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the listed phones theres an option to select all other unlockable phones.

This works for the Desire C.

Also, VOL DOWN + POWER button does work to enter bootloader mode and is stated in the Desire C user manual so retry that a couple times.

However, we still need a working link to the superboot file!

Guest PaulOBrien
Oh! Link's back up! I'll try this now and let you guys know how it goes.

Link is fixed and I've obviously tested the file myself... :-)

P

Guest darretje

Nice thanks man!

I hope this device will get some community behind it! And do you think it is possible to overclock this cpu to 1Ghz? because the normal frequency of this chip is 600-800Mhz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dpmcalli

Thanks for this. I have a few questions about temporary root though. If I unlock my boot loader and boot from this image, I understand that I will only have root access until I reboot the phone. But what Im unclear about is, what about the changes I make whilst rooted, are these permanent?

For example, I boot from this image, install superuser, allow an app to have root acess (eg airdroid) would that app still have root access after a reboot, or would I essentially have to boot from this image each time for that app to have that level of privilege?

Also HTC just advertised an update to me, anyone tried the update and seen if it breaks this rooting method?

Edited by dpmcalli

Guest dpmcalli

Im sorry for asking such newb questions but I though it was a non permanent root as the first post you say that you have "fullADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process". Or are you saying that the changes that you make are permanent?

Maybe I need to learn by doing and just give this a crack.

Guest dpmcalli

Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul.

Edit: I just wanted to say, I installed the OTA update (1.45.161.5), unlocked the bootloader and then used superboot and its all appears to have worked perfectly. Cheers!

Edited by dpmcalli

Guest Fussup

Thanks for the image, but something went wrong here.

First I unlocked the Desire C using the htcdev.com instructions. This went fine:

C:\Unlock>fastboot.exe flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...

OKAY [  0.134s]

writing 'unlocktoken'...

(bootloader) unlock token check successfully

OKAY [  0.007s]

finished. total time: 0.142s
Then, I ran the .bat script to use the actual superboot. This didn't do anything it seems, so I re-ran from cmd to find out more:

C:\>install-superboot-windows.bat

C:\>fastboot-windows.exe boot boot.superboot.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))

After this, I couldn't boot my device and had to do a factory reset... Luckily I got my phone in working condition after a few reboots.

The MD5 checksum of the boot.superboot.img file is:

209A3943E451FBEF95EF189FE3E6D6A8 boot.superboot.img

Any idea what could be wrong?

Guest Fussup

Thanks for the reply, but the first post lists the MD5 of the whole ZIP file while I listed the MD5 of the boot.superboot.img file.

C:\>md5.exe r1-golf-superboot.zip

577610795783761D56B95E024793B8CF  r1-golf-superboot.zip

So the ZIP file MD5 matches fine. One thing I've noticed is that my bootloader still says "S-ON" (but it does say "unlocked"):

*** UNLOCKED ***

GOLFU PVT SHIP S-ON RL

HBOOT-1.28.0000

RADUI-1.05.98.11M3

eMMC-boot

I guess this should be fine, as S-OFF is only used to be able to flash Radios.

Edited by Fussup

Guest iotch

Paul, thank you for the great tool! I've rooted my HDC wihtout any problems.

Is it possible to have some custom recovery for this device to try other roms or backup the current one at least?

Or maybe you know the way to have a full sence 4 on HDC? Now it seems like it's lacks some features (menus, etc.)

Also, is camera autofocus depends on driver or hardware on HDC? I thought it may be software limitations only?

thanks

Guest dandana

Got the original firmware rooted fine, got the OTA update from HTC after to 1.45.401.4, lost root, rooted again with superboot, working fine. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jelle1110

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble rooting my Desire C, maybe your guys could try and help me out :-)

I have unlocked my Desire C using HTCDev.

When I download Superboot r1 (from the first post) my phone reboots with the message: build is for dev purposes only. After a minute or so the phone is done booting and I have root access (checked it with a app th requires root).

But the downside is my Wi-Fi is not working at all...

At settings it shows 'error'...

Do you guys know how to fix this? :-(