r1: Superboot - how to root the HTC Desire C

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jelle1110

The way i'm downloading the .img to my cell is the following:

Boot into the bootloader and select fastboot.

Then open install-superboot-windows,bat

I even tried it when i'm in the main menu of the bootloader (the one with HBOOT USB PLUG) but that results in < waiting for device >

And if i reboot while the cell is rooted it isn't rooted anymore.

I really think i'm doing something wrong here...

Edited by jelle1110

Guest burned

It stays rooted, I thought it wouldn't as well but it did.

Try an other USB port, restart the system(the PC) and try again. Make sure you have everything you need in order to establish a connection(the drivers).

Guest jelle1110

Gues what, it's solved!

But I feel like I'm a damn fool...

The phone was rooted afterall, even when I rebooted.

The app I used to check the root privileges of my phone was denied access by SuperSU...

After changing that little problem it worked like a charm

Sorry about that guys:-P

Edited by jelle1110

Guest walqas

Thanks for the image, but something went wrong here.

First I unlocked the Desire C using the htcdev.com instructions. This went fine:

C:\Unlock>fastboot.exe flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...

OKAY [  0.134s]

writing 'unlocktoken'...

(bootloader) unlock token check successfully

OKAY [  0.007s]

finished. total time: 0.142s
Then, I ran the .bat script to use the actual superboot. This didn't do anything it seems, so I re-ran from cmd to find out more:

C:\>install-superboot-windows.bat

C:\>fastboot-windows.exe boot boot.superboot.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))

After this, I couldn't boot my device and had to do a factory reset... Luckily I got my phone in working condition after a few reboots.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I am having the same problem as yours. I guess it has something to do with the sw version. Mine is: 1.45.1132.4.

Has anyone managed to get the root to work on the latest 1.45.1132.4 update?

Guest mister-neowl

I am having the same problem as yours. I guess it has something to do with the sw version. Mine is: 1.45.1132.4.

Has anyone managed to get the root to work on the latest 1.45.1132.4 update?

My phone had this update out of the box, and I managed to get root working with this method, with no errors at all. No idea what you may be doing wrong. If it helps, I made a folder in my C:\ drive, and put all the needed files from the Android SDK in it, plus a folder containing the root files. Other than checking to see if ADB is running (which I guess it is due to being able to unlcok the bootloader in the first place), there's not a lot I can advise, just keep at it, maybe you'll get lucky!

Got CWRecovery on the device too now, just waiting to see some ROMs and Kernels for the NFC equipped variant now, as all I see are non-NFC ROMs D:

• 3 weeks later...

My phone had this update out of the box, and I managed to get root working with this method, with no errors at all. No idea what you may be doing wrong. If it helps, I made a folder in my C:\ drive, and put all the needed files from the Android SDK in it, plus a folder containing the root files. Other than checking to see if ADB is running (which I guess it is due to being able to unlcok the bootloader in the first place), there's not a lot I can advise, just keep at it, maybe you'll get lucky!

Got CWRecovery on the device too now, just waiting to see some ROMs and Kernels for the NFC equipped variant now, as all I see are non-NFC ROMs D:

Aha.. I finally got it to work.. when i went to HBOOT with (vol down + power), i had to switch to FASTBOOT USB by pressing the power button before using the root utility.

If i do it when HBOOT USB is selected, it crashes the device :)

Guest majko11293

Hello,

I have HTC Desire C and I want to root it but I cant. When I try it on Linux it shows me

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))

when I try it on Windows it shows me this:

beznzvudk.png

I dont know what I am doing wrong. Please help me. Thanks

//Ok, I finally rooted my phone. The problem was in drivers. Problem solved :)

Edited by majko11293

Hello guys,

First, I'd like to thank you for this howto on rooting the HTC Desire C phone!

Second, I have a small issue rooting my Desire C, hope you can help me out.

CMD> install-superboot-windows.bat

CMD> fastboot-windows.exe

boot boot.superboot.img

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

I'm following the instructions Paul provided, but it seems it cannot root my HDC.

Can you help me out?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I've managed to root it ! :) The problem was that I've totally skipped the instructions for unlocking the bootloader from htcdev.com :)

Edited by mramra

Guest MrToastedAndroid

My god, this one click installation was amazing! Many thanks to OP! I unlocked the bootloader via HTC Dev (it is REALLY easy, but make sure you REMEMBER your e-mail that you used to sign in to the site. You will need it to get the Unlock file) I booted into the bootloader, selected the first option on the cool little menu and it installed with ease! I started panicking because of the WiFi stopped working (reason is because I have no data in my plan and that was the only way to actually use my phone) I turned the phone off, didn't pull out the battery and turned it back on and too my relief it started working again!

I an with Virgin Mobile Canada and this root is successful. I am a total noob when it comes to phones, and to be honest I didn't think I would really make it to completion. But fortunately enough I did! Many thanks OP! Many thanks!

Guest Nieustraszony

Hello everybody ;)

I'm new to this forum, and first thing I'd like to say is BIG thanks for great bootloader :)

I admit i was a bit afraid of bricking my phone and stuff, but it worked great.

However instructions are scattered around first 2 pages making them a little troublesome to follow.

But still i logged in to confirm that this works.

If anybody interested its my software version 4.0.3 - 1.45.401.4.

On a side note before i rooted my phone i installed some update from HTC (update to security and previliges) which seems to persist even after i did

factory reset which was required while unlocking my bootloader. Question is, shouldn't factory reset wipe any and all updates

even those from HTC (becouse after reset my phone do not pop up with that update, it only told me about update to e-mail program which

which came after the first one before).

- Also I'd like to ask if installing updates from HTC (any updates) will always un-root my phone or can i have any possible problems with them (updates).

- Can i update SU application without worry to break anything (previlige-wise)?

Huh i think thats all.

First thing I'm gonna install to my newly rooted phone is firewall and adblocker - yay!

Cheers,

Guest aholla

Hi I have followed all the steps and everything seems to have worked but when i turn my phone on, it boots up as normal with HTC sense(with the red developer build message). Is this what is expected? I though it would remove sense and I would be left with the google stock.

Guest burned

Hi I have followed all the steps and everything seems to have worked but when i turn my phone on, it boots up as normal with HTC sense(with the red developer build message). Is this what is expected? I though it would remove sense and I would be left with the google stock.

If this message appears even after rebooting the device then you didn't only boot the boot.img, you flashed it(didn't use the double-click-only file, huh?). It's not expected to remove sense, it has nothing to do with that.

Guest aholla

If this message appears even after rebooting the device then you didn't only boot the boot.img, you flashed it(didn't use the double-click-only file, huh?). It's not expected to remove sense, it has nothing to do with that.

Ah right, now i see. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest elex123

hi i am a complete noob to android root and i want to learn rooting so i want to root my desire c but have no experience i want to do it your way but i doubt of making a mistake so i request you to pls make a video on this and show every thing step by step right from the begning from unlocking bootloader from htc dev to the final steps and and installing custom rom ,,overclocking ,, also the recovery process if something goes wrong by mistake and also unrooting pls can you make a video like that because i dont wont anything to go wrong and ruin my phone as i want i to be done correctly

and also is this nameless rom good and stable http://androidforums.com/desire-c-all-things-root/638667-rom-htc-desire-c-nameless-rom-v3-0-0-a.html

if yes then pls show how to install this

Edited by elex123

• 1 month later...
Guest gsxrrocker

Ok, so I've unlocked my phone through HTCDev, going into bootloader mode, it says unlocked at the top, but still says s-on. When I run the .superboot.windows.bat file, CMD pops up as normal, but nothing happens, it says <waiting on device>. I'm new to this, so don't know where to start to remedy the situation

Guest gsxrrocker

ok, been playing with it for a while... getting extremely frustrated. I got my last issue fixed, think it was a driver thing, not positive. But now when I click it, it pops up to the following screen and goes away. nothing happens, phone doesn't even blink. HELP me please

UselessCDM.png

Edited by gsxrrocker

Guest strophe

Potientally noob question here, I just got my first smartphone now, but is a retail version one you get from any old mobile service provider? I've been having some trouble unlocking the bootloader with HTCdev, somehow cmd doesn't want to co-operate with me. I can't even get to the actual root part yet.

On the cmd step, when i type in Command Prompt: cd c:\Android The cmd spews out that the search parameters are too wide.

I do have the folder named like that and in my C: disk. what should I do?

Edited by strophe

Guest szilike93

Hi Paul!

I just tryed to root my phone, HTC Desire C but when I turn it on Bootloader mode and connect to the PC it doesn't go forth, only install-superboot-windows.bat shows me < waiting for device >. What driver or something should I use? I tryed with HTC Sync Manager, but it doesn't work.

Your sincerelly,

szilike93 ^_^

I resolved the problem. Everybody. You need to be installed adb driver. Which you can find on www.xda-developers.com

Edited by szilike93

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickb99

Hi Paul. I wanted to add my thanks too. An easy hour and my Desire C all rooted :) Some tips to assist other readers of this thread;

- I use the free MyBackup app to backup the complete phone contents before rooting for an easy restore of SMSs, data etc afterwards (excellent app).

- I also experienced the wifi error on first start after rooting but a 2nd reboot fixed that

- the only major issue I had was windows drivers. This was resolved by reinstalling HTC Sync from the HTC site and then plugging in the phone while it was running. After that Superboot had no problem doing its work.

Guest jmelton3

I've been trying to root my phone. I've got the phone unlocked but an error pops up when I run the bat file. I've attached pics of the hboot menu and the error. Any options I choose at the hboot menu such as factory reset or restore will give me that error. Any ideas? The phone boots up and works just fine. My hboot menu seems to be screwed though. I followed the unlock directions from here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1947613 and used the HTCDev website. Any help would be appreciated. Would hate to have to send in my only phone for repairs.

Edit: Not sure if it matters but my service provider is Cricket.

post-1001352-0-54856800-1355600624_thumb

post-1001352-0-25743600-1355600639_thumb

Edited by jmelton3

Guest Linkest

Hi Paul,

I just got my first Android phone Desire C ICS 4.0.3 few days ago (which makes me a complete newb in this), and right away people started talking about rooting, flashing, ROMs and stuff i never gave much thought about, so i started googling all those things. Basically that's all I've been doing these past few days. And I got to a point where I decided it's not a bad idea to root my phone. So I did it, with your Superboot (thanx for that btw, it took me only 5min). The thing that made me go for it was that unlike many other users who want to store apps on the SD card, I want to store files on the internal memory (don't ask why, I just need to :) ). Few sites that i visited suggested that rooting is the only way (maybe I'm wrong, and if that's the case, please correct me), so i gave it a shot. Now I have a SuperSU in my main menu, my phone is a lot faster than it was when i got it, but I still can't store files in internal memory, unless the come from the camera or other apps.

What am I doing wrong, IS my phone rooted or I just don't know where to go from here? And in which folder am I supposed to store the files in my phone?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dams200

Hi Paul ! I have a problem to root my HTC Desire C, I have unlock my bootloader, after I connect my phone to my pc and I put it in the bootloader mod. The problem is here, when i run "install-superboot-windows", my phone boot well and the message appears "This build is for development purposes only. Do not distribute outside of HTC WITHOUT htc's written permission" but the phone has freezed and don't boot, what is the problem ?

Thanks for your help :)