Orange: San Diego is bootloader locked and staying that way

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

I'm relieved that I didn't buy it now...

Amen to that brother. Now I'm seriously considering a windows phone since I don't see anything on Android that is really impressing me anymore :/. I thought the OSD would give me the same fun hacking experience that the OSF did. Bad move Orange... you're only thinking about your gain.

Guest Rem1x

Anyone want a mint Orange San Diego, in box with everything it came with? But yeah, this is disappointing. When my paypal account activates, I might bid goodbye to the OSD. If Paul's leaving the effort, I don't see the phone moving on from here..

Guest spences10

Amen to that brother. Now I'm seriously considering a windows phone since I don't see anything on Android that is really impressing me anymore :/. I thought the OSD would give me the same fun hacking experience that the OSF did. Bad move Orange... you're only thinking about your gain.

If you want hacking I wouldn't get a wondows phone

Guest Xenon0816

what a bummer...

I'd bouy the phone, but without hacking it's no use for me... I never owned a smartphone that wasn't hackable!

Anyone want a mint Orange San Diego, in box with everything it came with? But yeah, this is disappointing. When my paypal account activates, I might bid goodbye to the OSD. If Paul's leaving the effort, I don't see the phone moving on from here..

I'll take it for free :P

If you want hacking I wouldn't get a wondows phone

True... but I'm so upset by this! Didn't think my orange theory would actually be true :(

Guest glossywhite

Guys... where does negativity get us? You're losing focus, with all respect. Imagine you sell it, and a week later someone says "I found a way to unlock the bootloader", or some developer "leaks" the solution, as with the Monte Carlo... you are going to be MORE fed up, then.

Just have a few weeks patience... something will transpire... I am confident. Negativity distracts from progress... don't LET it. Okay, it MAY all end up futile, but nothing ventured, nothing gained... right? And it's not as if it has been out 3 months and THEN abandoned... come on guys, that's not the hacker spirit!!!

:D God bless you all - I'm still getting mine (eventually) and gonna work HARD on this!!

Guest PaulOBrien
but nothing ventured, nothing gained... right?

I have ventured a lot of time on this with limited progress and unfortunately can't commit any more effort to it. :(

P

Guest fraxos

Paul,

Everyone here appreciates your work and personally completely understand your "frustration" with this, which, if I dare to take a guess, was the doing of mostly Orange. However, and please accept my apologies for insisting on this, would it not be worth reaching out to Intel directly and making a case? Orange is after all famous for being, well, rather useless.

Thanks

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

Everyone here appreciates your work and personally completely understand your "frustration" with this, which, if I dare to take a guess, was the doing of mostly Orange. However, and please accept my apologies for insisting on this, would it not be worth reaching out to Intel directly and making a case? Orange is after all famous for being, well, rather useless.

Thanks

In this instance it's really only worth speaking to Orange, as there's zero chance of Intel doing anything not via them (speaking from experience!)

P

Guest glossywhite

Many hands make light work. Something that one person, working alone, may never consider, could suddenly spring to mind, to another!

Come on guys - let's not leave Paul to do all the hard work - let's get together and use our collective gifts and intelligence that God has given us, and free this thing from the shackles of the corporation. The effort is going to be well worth it, I know it. I for one, will not let this go yet, and I hope other like-minded individuals will join me.

@Paul - tell me more about kboot, and what exactly is involved in a "locked" bootloader, as I am new to this area of Linux, but I am a very fast and proficient learner :)

Thanks

Guest fraxos

In that case it is safe to say there is very little hope. I guess Orange will be punished for this the very same way they were punished with the Monte Carlo and SFII i.e. low sales.

Guest iam_smithers

Disappointing but I wont be getting rid of mine. I honestly don't care about lack of root access since I didn't really use it for anything on my San Francisco and never managed to root my Monte Carlo. Similarly, I can more than manage on the internal storage, am yet to see this terrible battery life everyone keeps bemoaning and it does everything I wanted it for. So if anybody is keeping theirs too, I'll still be around here a bit.

Still, Orange has shot themselves in the foot since power users wont be interested in the phone any more and they have lost themselves a fair bit of business now. Don't see the G300 as anything like an alternative though, it's vastly inferior all round (well, except with root access, but as stated above I don't really care about that).

Guest fradleyp

Thank you Paul for all your hard work and effort, just got my my PAC code and will be returning when this arrives. I was paying £20.50 on orange so this with free insurance is a no brainer. Now where's the SIII unlocker forum :-)

Many hands make light work. Something that one person, working alone, may never consider, could suddenly spring to mind, to another!

This is a totally random question glossy... but are you African? :mellow:

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

Guest glossywhite

This is a totally random question glossy... but are you African?

Nope, but I have Kenyan family - cousins :D

I'm as white as A4 paper... why did you ask?

Blessings :)

Edited by glossywhite

Nope, but I have Kenyan family - cousins :D

I'm as white as A4 paper... why did you ask?

Blessings :)

Just that your sayings pretty much read African accent to me. Probably because most people who talk like you around me are... But I really love your optimism! :D

Paul you did a terrific job with keeping up with this. Bravo sir!

I keep saying I want to learn how to hack really well but haven't even gotten around to learning the basics... If I knew how to I would join #teamglossy

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

Guest scuzzbucket

Well colour me disappointed. Now the hunt resumes for my next device. Still, it means I have £200 slush fund now. Might still get one in a couple months if there is a significant price drop.

@glossywhite - have to admire your positivity. Wish you well in your efforts.

Guest Mtman1
Iphone's are alot more hackable compared to the OSD. Havent you heard of Cydia?
that's genuinely scary... an iPhone!!! More hackable than my phone??? @ glossywhite good luck :)