Orange: San Diego is bootloader locked and staying that way

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest glossywhite

I see no relevance of the iPhone being mentioned. Many things are easier, but let's keep on-topic, with all due respect :)

Guest boristhespie

Barein mind Orange are a French company. As such, as a consumer you are all wrong. The French are always right. They don't do changes of opinion. So Orange wont budge.

Guest captainkremmen

There are 3 companies that make it (or at least 3 names) http://www.modaco.co...r-the-San-Diego

The Orange San Diego is apparently only made by Gigabyte though. The other models, although pretty much identical in that they too have stuck to the Intel reference design with only minor cosmetic changes, are made by other companies. I guess you could compare it to the PC market, in that you may have three PCs that have identical specs but one is made by Lenovo, another by Dell and the third by Gateway. Under the hood they are the same machines, with components from the same companies, and even their cases may be similar, but they are made by different companies on different production lines and have minor differences in such things as the bios (or bootloader perhaps in the case of phones) and differences in software.

Guest geoff1951

May I add my own thoughts? Not rants, but just listed.

First, thank you Paul for all the effort on this. I understand your wish to move on.

Second, Gigabyte are not an unknown/minor/never heard of company. They are well known in the computer hardware world as motherboard and graphics card manufacturers and also make other computer peripherals. And they also have their own branded smartphones, just they're not seen on the UK market. (I've no axe to grind on their behalf.)

Third, I don't think it would serve any point going direct to either Intel or Gigabyte. They have contracts with Orange which will probably have included full specifications of the phone, including this non-bootloader unlocking. Therefore any provision by Intel or Gigabyte to allow us any means of getting round this issue would likely mean they would be in breach of contract with Orange. Gigabyte probably aren't concerned one way or the other about this restriction (apart from contract breach) but Intel almost certainly are. It's their baby and they (think they) know best how to bring it up. We disagree with them, but it's their choice.

Fourth, I appreciate that people like Paul may have a need for an unlocked/rooted/etc phone to run certain apps, but surely not everone on here regards this issue as a "deal breaker"? In its own right, the San Diego is a good phone, even ignoring its low price. The general consensus on the net and several reviews I've seen say so too. I was glad to get rid of everything orange on my SF (thanks again Paul), and have a clean version of Android 2.3.7 on it in the end, but although disappointed that I can't (yet) do the same with the SD I'm not going to get too upset and lose sleep. After all, I still have a fairly good looking phone, a decent camera, it plays flash, web browsing is fine. And it's good as a phone too. Having set my own desktop wallpaper (a picture of the Eagle Nebula, my daughter's studying astrophysics!) and installed a few apps of preference (Smartkeyboard Pro, Dolphin, etc) I can I can put up with the bloat and simply ignore the Orange stuff.

Fifth, I can't comprehend the lack of ICS at launch but at least Orange are making a firm committment to ugrade, unlike their vague intimations in the early days of the SF.

Now, what's Microsoft's new tablet going to be like to use?...

Guest slivabox

I was considering this phone as a gift to my wife, very frustrating news.

Nevertheless, I had Motorola Defy which bootloader was locked too but this fact didn't prevent it from posibility to flash some custom ROMs, lets hope for best :)

Exactly what I think.

This device is absolutely awesome for the price and it does everything one would need from a device.

The features easily make me forget root and custom roms,yeah would be nice but certainly not a deal breaker for me.

The full HD video,High res display and intel atom processor is all good with me :D

Guest huggyc

I'm with jikobutsu on this one! It's a fantastic device (although I don't own one yet - have played with it in an Orange shop) but i guess most people visiting this forum knew that already! I was thinking, to bring a positive out of this dark news of the imminent lack of rooting ability that maybe their sales would suffer as a result... meaning an even more bargainacious device for those patient enough to wait.

That theory was blown out the water however with the arrival (yesterday) of the OSD television advert on Orange's YouTube :-(

[media=]

But, to turn it around again, with Orange and Intel insisting that this is a hit by throwing gold bars at it, there will inevitably be an imminent mass of peeps trying to find a rooting solution.

Oh, btw (above) Gigabyte manufactured the xolo x900, Orange San Diego, and Orange avec Intel Inside (French version of OSD) the only physical difference is the back cover.

Guest b4da55

If anyone is interested in selling there phone I would be interested. I have a zte crescent but really like the sound of these and will use my zte for Modding

Guest huggyc

That advert scares the life out of me. So much CGI.... hopefully more people will get this now....

Hell yeah.. I think I've seen that driver before (on kids tv in the 80's)! lol

index_wordy.jpg

Guest glossywhite

May I add my own thoughts? Not rants, but just listed.

First, thank you Paul for all the effort on this. I understand your wish to move on.

Second, Gigabyte are not an unknown/minor/never heard of company. They are well known in the computer hardware world as motherboard and graphics card manufacturers and also make other computer peripherals. And they also have their own branded smartphones, just they're not seen on the UK market. (I've no axe to grind on their behalf.)

Third, I don't think it would serve any point going direct to either Intel or Gigabyte. They have contracts with Orange which will probably have included full specifications of the phone, including this non-bootloader unlocking. Therefore any provision by Intel or Gigabyte to allow us any means of getting round this issue would likely mean they would be in breach of contract with Orange. Gigabyte probably aren't concerned one way or the other about this restriction (apart from contract breach) but Intel almost certainly are. It's their baby and they (think they) know best how to bring it up. We disagree with them, but it's their choice.

Fourth, I appreciate that people like Paul may have a need for an unlocked/rooted/etc phone to run certain apps, but surely not everone on here regards this issue as a "deal breaker"? In its own right, the San Diego is a good phone, even ignoring its low price. The general consensus on the net and several reviews I've seen say so too. I was glad to get rid of everything orange on my SF (thanks again Paul), and have a clean version of Android 2.3.7 on it in the end, but although disappointed that I can't (yet) do the same with the SD I'm not going to get too upset and lose sleep. After all, I still have a fairly good looking phone, a decent camera, it plays flash, web browsing is fine. And it's good as a phone too. Having set my own desktop wallpaper (a picture of the Eagle Nebula, my daughter's studying astrophysics!) and installed a few apps of preference (Smartkeyboard Pro, Dolphin, etc) I can I can put up with the bloat and simply ignore the Orange stuff.

Fifth, I can't comprehend the lack of ICS at launch but at least Orange are making a firm committment to ugrade, unlike their vague intimations in the early days of the SF.

Now, what's Microsoft's new tablet going to be like to use?...

Well said, and I agree with all said.

Guest Frankish

I'm still fighting whether i can live without root...just for the fantastic specs of the SD! It would last me while i know that much... Still think the closest thing is the Huawei Honor and it's not near as good...

Guest glossywhite

I'm still fighting whether i can live without root...just for the fantastic specs of the SD! It would last me while i know that much... Still think the closest thing is the Huawei Honor and it's not near as good...

Ahh, but I'd love to see Windows XP on the SD! :D

I am in same situation frankish.The way I see it,I have a g300 for playing with,and the san diego for a more day to day stable phone with great specs.

Obviously I am hopeful that some leak will come in future to free this bad boy from its chains.

Guest FrankieADZ

I am in same situation frankish.The way I see it,I have a g300 for playing with,and the san diego for a more day to day stable phone with great specs.

Obviously I am hopeful that some leak will come in future to free this bad boy from its chains.

you know what will happen is that a new phone with a bit better specs will come for the same price and then the bootloader will appear for the OSD :wacko:

So there may be no hope at all for this device :(

I understand that this is a whole new ball game as this is basically an intel phone,but there have been locked bootloaders before that have been cracked right ? So this must be possible here.

My worry is that any dev thinking of buying this will be quickly changing there minds upon hearing the bootloader is and staying locked.

It is a real shame,very sad indeed,as this device has so much potential it almost makes me sick that orange would lock it down so hard knowing that the android community is a large part of their business :wacko:

Edited by Guest

Guest WiiSky70

SAD NEWS .... No one will beat the San Fransisco/ZTE Blade , and if they beat the phone it won't be so popular than San Fransisco/ZTE Blade.

But , i hope this device will be bootloader cracked in a near future , in safety ways of course.

Guest Rem1x

The way I feel is that, no matter how nice the phone is. It could be much faster, and I have no control over it. I'm a bit of a 'buy low, mod high', kinda guy.

Guest FrankieADZ

SAD NEWS .... No one will beat the San Fransisco/ZTE Blade , and if they beat the phone it won't be so popular than San Fransisco/ZTE Blade.

But , i hope this device will be bootloader cracked in a near future , in safety ways of course.

i dont know, for what its worth the Huawei G300 is certainly worth a look. make the Blade feel rather rubbish if im honest

Guest eLJay

Glad I went for the G300. Intel probably wants to keep the device secure and Orange have no realised the reason for it's previous success was the ability to improve the device that had been provided. Expect the Intel offering to be going cheap soon in the future as most main stream users won't want it and the hackers will now avoid it as they cannot customise it. It is a bit of a large brick of a phone from what I have seen, whereas the G300 is a skinny but powerful device and seems to have a longer battery than my Skate.