Huawei ascend g300 speakers

Guest BrianChorlton

Guest BrianChorlton

Took delivery of new phone yesterday on the reports that a firmware upgrade had solved the well known speaker problem many have spoken about.

On starting the phone I went to firmware and software upgrades and was advised no upgrades available, so assumed that the hone was upto date. Alas the ring tones etc can hardly be heard. I am a little hard of hearing but my wife has wonderful hearing and said she would struggle to hear calls or message, and thats with full volume.

Is there any way I can tell from settings if this phone has the latest upgrades. If not afraid it will have to be returned and that's a shame as its a lovely phone for the price.

Any help appreciated

Guest runlevel5

Hi Brian,

Go into settings (press left hand key under screen, then tap settings) then tap about phone and scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a string of letters and numbers under the heading build number, the last four digits is your rom version, which I suspect will be either B882 or B885.

Guest BrianChorlton

Hi thanks for that info the number b885 but don't know if this is the latest firmware if it is it's very low volume indeed

Guest BrianChorlton

Hi Brian,

Go into settings (press left hand key under screen, then tap settings) then tap about phone and scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a string of letters and numbers under the heading build number, the last four digits is your rom version, which I suspect will be either B882 or B885.

Thanks for that info the munger is B885 but still unsure if this is the latest firmware version.

Thanks for your help

Guest runlevel5

as far as I know that is the latest official firmware that should have the low volume fix. I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't check, but some other threads on this forum should be able to tell you more.

hope you get it sorted.

edit: when you tried to update the phone did you follow this procedure:

1. Go to "Settings"

2. Press "About Phone"

3. Tap "Online Upgrade"

4. Tap "Firmware upgrade"

5. Your phone will check for an upgrade and will show a new version name: "Asura_Vodafone_B885"

6. Press Download - you will be reminded to connect to WiFi

7. Press OK and the download will commence

8. Your phone will restart to install firmware after finishing download

If you did and there is no update then the low volume fix should be already in place. If it were me, even though it is hassle I would take it into a vodafone store and explain your issue. They will probably fiddle with it and either offer you a replacement or get a refund.

Also worth mentioning is have you rebooted your phone since you first switched it on? As daft as it sounds it can make a difference.

all the best.

Edited by runlevel5

Guest BrianChorlton

Hi runlevel 5

I have done everything correct and like you say re-booted.

There is one thing I have been thinking about. I have just upgraded to a sim only contract and the guy at Vodafone said I could buy a payg phone ie the huawei ascend g300 and insert my existing contract sim.

I wonder if it's possible that because of this it's not picking up any updates although it clearly says B885 as the firmware.

It's sad really as I love the phone despite one or two quibbles like keyboard and stuff but for £100 it's a bargain, but no good if I can't hear the thing clearly. Phone conversation is crisp and clear. Shame

Guest RussellS

If it really is that quiet I think you must have a fault on it. Just out of interest, what is the volume like from the speaker if you play music or internet radio. On mine, the volume is plenty loud enough and is the same whether it is a ringtone or the music player.

Just take it back to vodafone and complain about the volume and they will hopefully replace it.

Guest runlevel5

Hi runlevel 5

I have done everything correct and like you say re-booted.

There is one thing I have been thinking about. I have just upgraded to a sim only contract and the guy at Vodafone said I could buy a payg phone ie the huawei ascend g300 and insert my existing contract sim.

I wonder if it's possible that because of this it's not picking up any updates although it clearly says B885 as the firmware.

It's sad really as I love the phone despite one or two quibbles like keyboard and stuff but for £100 it's a bargain, but no good if I can't hear the thing clearly. Phone conversation is crisp and clear. Shame

I doubt if its sim related, the update worked on mine with an o2 payasyougo sim in it. Looks like you need to take it in to vodaphone. if they offer you a replacement, unbox it in front of them and test it to see if it has the same issue.

good luck Brian and let me know how you get on