External usb / usb host

Guest Amber2009

Guest Amber2009

Hi folks

It would be wonderful to be able to connect the phone to an external usb, as well as the internal micro sd storage. Does anyone know whether there is any usb host code in the build?

Amber

Guest warwound

USB Host Mode is officially only supported on Honeycomb and later versions of Android.

Whether the promised ICS update will include USB Host Mode must depend entirely on whether the G300 has the necessary hardware i think.

Guest Amber2009

something like that, but the usb needs to be able to act as a "host" (ie data receiver) rather than just a source of power for recharging. Sounds like we won't find out for a while, anyway

Guest omegavesko

Pretty sure I've seen the feature in Gingerbread phones like the Galaxy S II. Just plug in an OTG adapter and there you go.

Sadly I don't think the G300 has it, though I would rarely use it anyway.

Guest michal.siman

The USB host must supported hardware! It is not only software things! I am not shure, if G300 chips (USB controller) can work as USB host, but, if yes, then somebody must add code for USB host to kernel. It is not to easy do that process. ICS or Honeycomb dont means automaticly "USB HOST READY AND WORKING". Yes, some phones have it, and some tablets have it as well.

Guest Jamie :)

The USB host must supported hardware! It is not only software things! I am not shure, if G300 chips (USB controller) can work as USB host, but, if yes, then somebody must add code for USB host to kernel. It is not to easy do that process. ICS or Honeycomb dont means automaticly "USB HOST READY AND WORKING". Yes, some phones have it, and some tablets have it as well.

Yeah, It depends on the CPU and Kernel. https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/snapdragon-specs.pdf If you look here, at the S1 7227A specs it says 'USB ..... or Host' meaning it's supported hardware side :). Just need a good developer who knows how to add USB host to the kernel :).

Guest Jamie :)

I can't think of any similar devices with USB Host, Not sure if the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus has USB otg? So I went to one of the closer processors, The normal 7227 found in the Blade, LG GT540 and many other devices. I know the Xperia 2011 range all have USB otg support, But they're based on the S2 MSM8255 so the drivers for it are probably different. There is usb otg support for the Blade, They added it to the kernel.. I think these are the files they used for the kernel to add usb otg http://sven.killig.de/android/Blade/usb_host/ .. May be a good idea to ask Paul O'Brien (Hello if you're reading this ;-))

Guest tillaz

Pretty sure I've seen the feature in Gingerbread phones like the Galaxy S II. Just plug in an OTG adapter and there you go.

Sadly I don't think the G300 has it, though I would rarely use it anyway.

yeah, its rare you see it ship with a gingerbread phone but there are some out there, mainly Samsung that support it natively...

although i have seen it added to phones like the zte blade (and kill the phone, t0mm13b) also C3co added it to the skate not sure if he got it working...

the best phone for out the box USB OTG is the Galaxy S3, cant plug just about anything in it to lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peninsula

I just tested it with a mouse and nothing happened. I'm on the official ICS from Huawei website with root and cwm.

I did delete the \data\cust folder, so if there was some firmware in there that was relevant to OTG that would explain it.

More than likely its just not supported by Huawei on this phone at all but, just in case, could someone who has not deleted the cust folder also check?

post-982991-0-33783500-1342189401_thumb.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Looking at kernel

its needs to be supported in the kernel, is not included in the g300

Is this just speculation or do you know OTG support isn't included? The spec sheet for the MSM7227A indicates a host mode controller. Looking at the kernel 2.6.38.6 config for the g300, EHCI and USB mass storage related stuff is compiled directly into the kernel, but CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set even though CONFIG_USB_MSM_OTG_72K=y is set. OTG appears supported but not fully enabled, which makes sense in 2.6.38.6 as this is the Gingerbread kernel. If someone could post the kernel 3.0.8 config, it'd be interesting to compare.

Unless you know know something I don't, I plan on getting an OTG cable and exploring this!

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest dragpyre

USB Host Mode is officially only supported on Honeycomb and later versions of Android.

Whether the promised ICS update will include USB Host Mode must depend entirely on whether the G300 has the necessary hardware i think.

I had it on a cheap £65 tablet running Eclair...

• 5 months later...
Guest metalimbo

Thanks Dazzozo.

I do not think i need power. I only wish i could use DSLR Controller app connecting my phone to my Canon DSLR. Right now I'm on CM9, can you tell me what do I need? Cheers