Comparing G300 with optimised Acer Liquid Metal

Guest spicysomtam

Guest spicysomtam

I just bought a G300, unlocked it and installed the gr2 b888 rom. However its still much slower than my 800Mhz Acer (overclocked to 1Ghz). Which makes me think that there is alot of scope for improving the kernel/build on the G300. There was clever folks over at the Liquid Metal section of Modaco and one guy totally optimised the kernel to the point where it was over clockable to about 1.5Ghz (however stability becomes a problem). They also played with voltages on the phone. Overall the optimised kernel is amazingly fast.

As far as I can see, the chipset is almost identical with the Acer and G300 (same graphics core, etc); however the G300 is probably slightly newer and obviously faster at 1Ghz.

The benefits of the G300 over the Acer is the better/larger screen, better sound quality and shipped headphones, the wifi seems much more stable, a fast boot time and more internal memory. Overall Huawei have done a good job on the phone; the software/drivers are pretty reliable and work well. The G300 is slimmer and despite the larger screen about the same size as the Acer. The G300 is a pleasure to watch YouTube!

However I am sticking with my Acer for now; the G300 doesn't work with Skype calling (and I need to spend a bit more time trying to get it to work). Also I miss the slickness of the Acer which brings me back to using it.

Might give the G300 to the girlfriend and wait for a dual core phone with Tegra graphics to come out at a good price point. Not sure.

Guest fr0do

Is the Acer an arm7 then?? My arm6 800mhz ZTE Crescent comfortably oc'd to 960 but it wasn't any slicker than this g300 @ stock. We also found that ICS actually ran better underclocked.

Edited by fr0do

Guest Maximus9

I remember I tried SKype on my G300 and worked, when you say it is not working, what exactly is the problem?

I would like to know how do you feel about the 2 phones screen visibility outside. To me, the G300 screen seems almost impossible to use outside compared to other phones, 2 years old (Wildfire and BB 9800 Torch).

Edited by Maximus9

Guest 00Mark

I am in a similar situation, after my LM broke.

Good points for LM:

• Higher pixel density (not very noticable)
  • Seems faster, especially OC'd @ 1.6GHz with stock ROM and custom kernel
  • Way more ROM choices

Bad points for LM:
    • I hated the curved screen, it actually made it difficult to tell where you were pressing
    • Smaller screen

Good points for G300:

• Bigger, and flat, screen
      • Possible ICSin near future...

Bad points for G300:

[*]Less ROMs so far, and difficulty downgrading from some to others

[*]Possible build quality issues (screen misaligned, "the blob" etc.)

In terms of overall daylight screen visibility I'd call it a tie. The LM screen might have been brighter but being curved was a disadvantage.

I haven't had the G300 long enough yet to know which I prefer...

Guest spicysomtam

Problem with Skype is as soon as I call it drops the call.

Maybe Skype got upgraded since you tested? Andriod apps get new versions all the time.

Guest RussellS

Skype is working fine on my G300. I only installed Skype yesterday to test for someone else so I have the latest version installed. As I stated in another thread though, I'm on the Huawei B888 rom and it may be that Vodafone have blocked Skype from working with the standard Vodafone B885 rom.