Superboot - Nexus 7 WiFi / 3G root solution

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r4 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)

- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

Guest FrankieADZ

great work Paul.

I was undecided with regards getting 1 but your certainly tipping me in the balance of getting 1 now :)

Guest Sebastian404

Oh, you might want to note that this boot image is from the dev unit, and while it will work on the retail devices, it will more than likely be different...

Guest Jele09

Hi guys, quick question if your able to help....

I unlocked my bootloader then appllied the superboot, but when i installed Rommanager im unable to boot into recovery?

Any thoughts?

Guest youareme7

I tried rooting with this script right after i unlocked my 16gb retail version and i'm stuck in a boot loop. All I have done is turn it on and let it update; then I unlocked it and tried this r2 script. I also tried running the r1 with no luck either; any tips on getting it to boot? I'm on windows.

Guest ChazW123

I tried rooting with this script right after i unlocked my 16gb retail version and i'm stuck in a boot loop. All I have done is turn it on and let it update; then I unlocked it and tried this r2 script. I also tried running the r1 with no luck either; any tips on getting it to boot? I'm on windows.

Same here :( only got the N7 yesterday. Have unlocked bootloaders a plenty before and had no issues at all. Help Paul!!

Guest ChazW123

Tell me exactly what you did...

P

As per the OP :) Ran the .bat (on Windows 7) after unlocking the bootloader first (obviously) but I just get the Google splash screen (with the lovely unlock symbol at the bootom) for a few seconds then it reboots.

I have managed to get a recovery installed by booting into the boot loader and flashing it via fastboot, then booted into it ok but for some reason the /sdcard mount is not accessible in it? Have managed to adb over your custom rom (which was the whole point of this! lol) but to sd-ext as sdcard is inaccessible but now can't select that from within recovery :(

Guest PaulOBrien

What should happen is...

- you get the google splash screen for a few seconds

- it reboots

...and then when it comes back up you are rooted - what the superboot does is mount system rw, copy the su binary and Superuser APK (and set those up as required) then reboot...

You could download the stock images and try fastboot flashing those?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

P

Guest ChazW123

What should happen is...

- you get the google splash screen for a few seconds

- it reboots

...and then when it comes back up you are rooted - what the superboot does is mount system rw, copy the su binary and Superuser APK (and set those up as required) then reboot...

You could download the stock images and try fastboot flashing those?

https://developers.g...id/nexus/images

P

Way ahead of you and downloading the stock rom now as you suggested. Looking via adb, when the N7 is in recovery) it looks like the /system partition got wiped completely? All that is there is a /bin folder which is empty too? Bizarre.

I'm no expert but also not a Noob (have had plenty of experience flashing phones since back in the G1 days!) so not sure where I went wrong!

Will post an update if/when I get it working again :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Way ahead of you and downloading the stock rom now as you suggested. Looking via adb, when the N7 is in recovery) it looks like the /system partition got wiped completely? All that is there is a /bin folder which is empty too? Bizarre.

I'm no expert but also not a Noob (have had plenty of experience flashing phones since back in the G1 days!) so not sure where I went wrong!

Will post an update if/when I get it working again :)

YOu have to 'mount /system' in recovery before you can see what's on it!

P

Guest ChazW123

YOu have to 'mount /system' in recovery before you can see what's on it!

P

I did ? Back on stock everything again now, do I dare try this again .... :) lol

UPDATE: I dared and it worked fine this time. Only thing I can think that is different is that I hadn't done the OTA to 4.1.1 this time (did get the update popup after a few mins. but clicked on update later). So SU in place and just installing custom recovery.

Nice one Paul :)

Edited by ChazW123

Guest PaulOBrien
Just a heads up that if you've updated to 4.1.1 (or 4.1) this doesn't work.

OK, I'll post a version with the updated kernel.

Odd though, it should still work.

P

Guest vertico

I have just received my Nexus 7 and applied google's update.. now it s 4.1.1

how do i get into Bootloader then?

I have turned off, then hold down "volume up" and power on, and it just started the tablet normally. What did I do wrong?