Superboot - Nexus 7 WiFi / 3G root solution

Guest PaulOBrien

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jmagee

After coming back from Asus following a repair I tried to unlock and root but faced an screen prompting me to enter my password to unlock the storage.

If you face this use

fastboot erase userdate

Massive thanks to Paul for this!

• 4 months later...
Guest cmberry20

I think there’s something 'not quite right' with this Fastboot Root flash.

I too had the boot loop after flashing the Superboot as per instructions. The unlock bootloader work fine.

Luckily I managed to flash the Nexus 7 back to factory settings using the link bbawden posted.

However, oddly the Root Flash worked when I tried it again.

The reasons why the flash didn’t work maybe down to 2 factors:

1. I didn’t reboot the nexus after unlocking the boot loader

2. The tablet was not up to date. (Not my tablet, so didn’t know what version it was running)

• 5 months later...
Guest execpwd

Great! Thanks for the answer ... Now the thing is : how do I find out if I have a locked bootloader ? For my phone ( Acer S500 ) I have a special windows tool for this things ... I have no idea how to do this things on Nexus device...

hey execpwd, nice to se you here too ;-) (Acer S500)

I just yesterday received my Nexus 7 2012, after updating 4.2.2 -> 4.3 -> 4.4.2, I Unlocked and rooted it right away :-)

I started here for unlocking and booting, all credits earned !, but ended up using another solution (link) that did a wonderfull job.

I think it's enough to reboot in fastboot mode, there you see if it is locked.

Shut down, then booth while holding Vol + and - pressed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest execpwd

So , reading about how to install Ubuntu on my Nexus 7 ( on ubuntu install - official website ), I found this : 

If the device is already unlocked, skip to Step 3. These steps will wipe all personal data from the device.

1. With the device powered off, power on the device by holding the Power button + volume up + volume down.
  2. The device will boot into the bootloader.
  3. Plug the device into the computer via the USB cable.
  4. On your computer, press Ctrl+Alt+T to start a terminal. Type sudo fastboot oem unlock, followed by Enter

5. On the device screen, accept the terms of unlocking.
  6. Boot the device by pressing the power button (pointed by an arrow with Start on the screen).

What makes me anxious is that 'sudo fastboot oem unlock' that makes me wonder : is it reliable ? Should I unlock my bootloader using that method ? ( considering my tablet is still stock and haven't unlocked / rooted it ... ). 

What do you think , guys ? Or is that available only if you are going to install Ubuntu right away ? 

Also , the other methods - like wimme's one - come with that ' superuser installer ' included ... 

Is anyone able to explain me this things ?

I only used tools ( for my acer and for my defy ) to unlock bootloader and root the phones - never used terminal...

Guest execpwd

hey execpwd, nice to se you here too ;-) (Acer S500)

I just yesterday received my Nexus 7 2012, after updating 4.2.2 -> 4.3 -> 4.4.2, I Unlocked and rooted it right away :-)

I started here for unlocking and booting, all credits earned !, but ended up using another solution (link) that did a wonderfull job.

I think it's enough to reboot in fastboot mode, there you see if it is locked.

Shut down, then booth while holding Vol + and - pressed

So you updated and rooted after that ? Also , when rooting and unlocking at android build , did you select the 4.4.2 BUILD : KOT49H or 'Any Build' ? I am pretty scared of nexus devices and their warranty claims ... xD

I really want to unlock the tablet with that toolkit , cause it seems so simple and I can't stand the stock ROM any longer ...

Edited by execpwd

Guest execpwd

So you updated and rooted after that ? Also , when rooting and unlocking at android build , did you select the 4.4.2 BUILD : KOT49H or 'Any Build' ? I am pretty scared of nexus devices and their warranty claims ... xD

I really want to unlock the tablet with that toolkit , cause it seems so simple and I can't stand the stock ROM any longer ...

Update : the Nexus Root Toolkit works great! I unlocked and rooted the tablet with no problems.