[ROM][ICS] Miuiv4 2.7.4 for the Huawei Ascend G300[Last updated: 04/07]

Guest Geno.Kolar

Guest ADROW

My first day of real-world usage, and I have to say that so far I'm not sure if it's a keeper. I love the styling but it's really laggy. Opening a text conversation in the standard app can take about 6 seconds. The keyboard is almost unusable, even after disabling haptic feedback. I've tried it in IM and SMS and both are really slow when typing.

When I got ICS it made my phone feel like I had a more expensive model, very fast and slick. MIUI makes it feel like my 2 year old HTC Hero trying to run GB. I really can't understand why it is so slow, when it seems to offer less than stock ICS in terms of features (no app drawer, less animation options etc...).

Not sure whether to hold out for newer updates in the hope things improve, or downgrade back to ICS. I read on the MIUI site that they offer a new release every Friday. Anyone know if this can be updated through the rom or is it a case of flashing each time?

Edited by ADROW

Guest ADROW

Second day of usage was better, although the phone did randomly reboot at one point. Still not as fast as stock ICS but was usable.

Guest sandrogp

It is true that the performance can be laggy on this ROM. However I have found the performance improves quite significantly if I install and use an alternative launcher such as Nova or Apex instead . This is a very good solution that's made me very happy because a MIUI ROM is not just about the (limited) launcher interface.

It is also about highly useful tweaks, additional apps and easier ways of doing things. Some examples I'd mention are the possibility of taking notes very easily whilst on a phone call, recording it, clearing memory option after holding the home key, timer option in clock, screenshot by combination of menu plus down volume, or LED flashlight from lock screen by holding the home key.

Guest ADROW

I previously used GO launcher but felt that it might defeat the point of using a rom like MIUI if I then changed it to be more like stock ICS. You make a good point about the additional features though, so I may well give another launcher a try. Which is your favourite by the way? Have you chosen to have an app drawer or turn it off and stick with the MIUI interface?

Guest sandrogp

Both Apex and Nova seem to work well and they are similar. Both come in free and paid versions with additional eye candy/features. My personal preference for a paid version would be Nova and for a free version would be Apex... I use Nova paid. I do not use the MIUI Home at all, the whole point is to avoid it and not even start it, although stays installed, and Nova is set as default. Still, themes applied when in MIUI remain on Nova/Apex except for the icons and notification bar transparency. For the icons Nova (and Apex I think) can use themes for other launchers also such as adw and go. I wouldn't have more than one additional launcher installed... but that is perhaps a bit irrational on my part.

Edited by sandrogp

Guest dt_matthews

Both Apex and Nova seem to work well and they are similar. Both come in free and paid versions with additional eye candy/features. My personal preference for a paid version would be Nova and for a free version would be Apex... I use Nova paid. I do not use the MIUI Home at all, the whole point is to avoid it and not even start it, although stays installed, and Nova is set as default. Still, themes applied when in MIUI remain on Nova/Apex except for the icons and notification bar transparency. For the icons Nova (and Apex I think) can use themes for other launchers also such as adw and go. I wouldn't have more than one additional launcher installed... but that is perhaps a bit irrational on my part.

I tip my hat to you sir (/madam for all I know) - just re-flashed MIUI and then replaced the launcher (with Nova) - killer combo :) THANKS for the idea as I love the MIUI goodies but its launcher (and design) is laggy and annoying but with a replacement launcher it is so nice to use.

Guest ADROW

I've tried a few different launchers (GO, Apex and Zeam) and I think it's still a little bit of swings and roundabouts. I've certainly noticed a general improvement in responsiveness, but I've found that they are all still prone to lag. GO and Zeam have both had to reload the home screen after leaving certain applications, and switching between certain applications has also given me noticeable slowdown and lag.

I don't know how much more memory MIUI uses over stock ICS but maybe that is an underlying issue, or maybe it's just that the G300 struggles at times and I'm being unrealistic about what is still a budget phone.

I'm still totally happy with it, and I think I will need some extended use with each launcher to try and decide which is best (or whether to stay on MIUI home)

edit: I tried Nova and I would say it was the fastest of the launchers, I just didn't like the styling options available in the free version. I've gone back to the stock launcher but with Supercharger V6 installed which has made it much more responsive.

Edited by ADROW

Guest naghtan

It is anyway to could translate it into another language? In my native language are a lot of Miuis official roms... not possible, just copy and paste? xD

thanks

Guest scuzzbucket

I was using Apex Pro, but have deleted it since finding Atom Launcher. It's from the people who make Nemus Launcher. It's fast, smooth and light and you can use Go/Nova/Apex themes. It's free too.

Guest naghtan

Im getting some probelms with these room!

• First and more important. Each time I plug in a Headphone, it recognize as handseet free.. and tehy are just normal headphone, I try with diferent headphones... ¿Any idea?
  • He only notify me by led the msg of Whatsapp when he want!

¿Any ideas?

thanks so much!

Guest bflmpesseveze

Everything is working good for me except language. I have got english and if I change to my language (czech) MIUI crashes. Text is mostly english, something is czech (especially what I installed after changing language) and something is chinese or what the language is. But menus are always english wich is no big deal but I would like to read months and days correctly, not TUE, WED / June , July. Czech language was fine in Huawei 4.0.3 ROM. Any Ideas?

Guest Alkafer

Why it get to me so so so slow sometimes? how i can set up the process are running?

bye!

To see (and close) running process just hold home key.

Bye!

Guest naghtan

hey! Someone could help me?

from one day to other, All music apps, like winamp or miui music, see all the files double... and when i start to see the path of the files... he see now... the files in SDcard and SDcard2, but files are really only in SDcard2...

Its anyway to fix these?

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toge64

Updated MIUIv4 2.8.17 for u8818 here :

http://pan.baidu.com...4/MIUIv4 2.8.17

Changelog (google translate):

C8812/U8818, overclocking kernel to support the performance mode [Additional Settings], revised version of fast boot BUG

Could someone upload it somewhere else?

ill try my best although the siteis awfully slow.

edit: won't download :( hopefully one of our chinese members will help with a mirror.

Edited by toge64