Recommend a UK data plan

Guest sej7278

Guest sej7278

I'm looking around for a data plan, SIM only, £15 or under a month, short contract.

3's SIM 600 looked good at £12/month for unlimited data and 600 minutes, but then their call costs are extortionate at 30-40p/min, I guess i wouldn't use more than 600mins/month anyway (have a landline for that!), but 12 month contract. No tethering.

GiffGaff £15 looks good, although only 400mins, but their call charges are cheap at 10p/minute flat rate. It seems they're essentially PAYG as its a 30-day contract. No tethering.

I can't believe T-Mobile, for 5Gb data they're asking for £19 on top of a tenner or a crumby phone package. Tethering included.

Vodafone don't seem to have any plans over 1Gb of data lol, welcome to 1992 voda!

I'd kind of like tethering (or ability to put the sim in a dongle) as replying to emails on a 3" screen is not practical, but if I had my netbook with me..... not essential but a definite plus.

I'm not fussed on the amount of data really, I've got ADSL at home for that, I want a fair amount, like 5gb or something, but don't need unlimited.

Any ideas?

Edit: sorry its in the blade rom forum, but its where i hang out the most, and it will be for my blade (unless i get a g300).

Edited by sej7278

Guest danmanbad

I'm looking around for a data plan, SIM only, £15 or under a month, short contract.

3's SIM 600 looked good at £12/month for unlimited data and 600 minutes, but then their call costs are extortionate at 30-40p/min, I guess i wouldn't use more than 600mins/month anyway (have a landline for that!), but 12 month contract. No tethering.

GiffGaff £15 looks good, although only 400mins, but their call charges are cheap at 10p/minute flat rate. It seems they're essentially PAYG as its a 30-day contract. No tethering.

I can't believe T-Mobile, for 5Gb data they're asking for £19 on top of a tenner or a crumby phone package. Tethering included.

Vodafone don't seem to have any plans over 1Gb of data lol, welcome to 1992 voda!

I'd kind of like tethering (or ability to put the sim in a dongle) as replying to emails on a 3" screen is not practical, but if I had my netbook with me..... not essential but a definite plus.

I'm not fussed on the amount of data really, I've got ADSL at home for that, I want a fair amount, like 5gb or something, but don't need unlimited.

Any ideas?

Edit: sorry its in the blade rom forum, but its where i hang out the most, and it will be for my blade (unless i get a g300).

i know thats more than you said i just think there the best offers around at the mo

at the moment t-mobile are giveing unlimited everything for £21 on a 12 mounth and my mate said asda are doing the same for £20

plus for £26 you can get the galaxy s2 2000 mins unlimited data and texts t-mobile

Edited by danmanbad

Guest Mtman1

I know you want a contract, but if you look at the giffgaff page, they have goodybags (literally a contract) that for £10 a month you get unlimited texts, unlimited data and 250 mins. Plus you can choose which months you need the goodybags in.

Guest thomasboyd

giffgaff service is great

O2 coverage is good.

Get your friends and family on it too and the calls are free.

Its a no brainer.

Guest Hayden3430

giffgaff service is great

O2 coverage is good.

Get your friends and family on it too and the calls are free.

Its a no brainer.

Doesn't giffgaff have really bad coverage in some area's?

Edited by Hayden3430

Guest Mtman1

Doesn't giffgaff have really bad coverage in some area's?

In a few areas, yes. But giffgaff runs on the o2 network so they have the same coverage

Guest Chris Banks

I've not had much luck with giffgaff if I am completely honest. Have had signal drops, and only ever get G where I live, which is a very large town.

Get fine signal when go into a city for work however.

I guess it would be worth a try first though, as its non-contract.

Guest colin.bate

I am on T-mobile pay as you go data & calls are separate i pay £10 as need for calls & £20 gets me 1GB of data per month for six months.

Guest Majkl007

Hi man,

you are realy lucky you are living in UK because our mobile offers in Czech Republic is a big sh*t. 50mins - 10EUR, 150MB internet with FUP (16kbps/16kbps under FUP) - 7EUR and 2 of our 3 operators has 24 months contracts. Don't belive? Look at their pages www.t-mobile.cz www.vodafone.cz and www.cz.o2.com

I can only envy all of you :-(

I have a three sim only plan with all you can eat data, been tethering it for a few months, using 30+ GB a month no trouble.

Edited by 99x

Guest sej7278

sej, get ready for some HUGE battery drainage :D

yeah, i laugh at my sister who barely manages 2 days with her 3g plan, i'm on my 4th day now at 50% :D i will have to make use of the 2g/3g switcher - does that even work in cm9 yet ?

you are realy lucky you are living in UK because our mobile offers in Czech Republic is a big sh*t. 50mins - 10EUR, 150MB internet with FUP (16kbps/16kbps under FUP) - 7EUR and 2 of our 3 operators has 24 months contracts.

lol, you want to try france if you want real envy - free.fr 15eur/month for unlimited data, unlimited international/mobile phonecalls etc....

I have a three sim only plan with all you can eat data, been tethering it for a few months, using 30+ GB a month no trouble.

yeah i'm thinking i'll have to go with 3 as unlimited data/tethering will be more useful to me than cheap phonecalls, i'd never go over 600mins/month anyway. you sure you can tether on non-oneplan plans though (like SIM600)?

Guest Ar_jay

Id like to add that I am on giffgaff, and they are incredibly cheap, I only pay an average of about £7 a month (after payback) for 250 mins unlim text and data, but the data coverage is shocking. Even in built up areas I have terrible speeds, and you can completely forget about it in the countryside.

I have heard from many people that 3 has the best data coverage, however they are more expensive. Its a tradeoff you may need to consider.

Guest Ar_jay

Try this: http://ovivomobile.com/

I use this for a month. So far, so good.

You can compare other offers here: http://petef.22web.org/payg.html

Seems like a good deal, but I would be cautious before signing up with this company:

I thought this was a great deal till my dad checked up on them, he's requested i put some info on this site for other HUKD'ers to see as he doesn't want us falling foul of such a company

Here's his comments ...

Seems the owners are the types who setup co's then within 2 yrs close them down. They do have a history of this already (more info to follow below). Like my son i thought this was a mega hot deal but then checking the companies history I've decided not to allow my details to be passed onto them. I feel they may be using the data/ID info for their own unscrupulous activites (ie selling on to other parties without the users knowledge, also location & other online activity details).

The company details:

07768728 : OVIVO MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED (setup 9/9/11). Originally called OZONE MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED (changed name on 26/1/12) - 1 director company (ie SME - small business - a 1 man band it seems?)

07456222 : MOBIUS MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT SOLUTIONS LIMITED (setup 1/12/10)

This is one of his other companies (he has 3)

07435849 : GRAND SLAM MOBILE LIMITED (setup on 10/11/10) the 1st years accounts should have been up to 30th November 2011, no accounts or other paperwork (bar setup info) filed with companies house.

Risk : Credit Rating is Suspended - Exercise extreme caution. Exercise extreme caution in dealing with this company. This Company is being voluntarily wound up.

From the above it would seem there is a history of this 33 yr old (yes that's how old the boss is of these co's) closing companies down within a short period of time. They are all new companies, the model as most of the other members state is not sustainable, an individual would not setup a company and not desire a profit, this would be an ideal way of harvesting peoples credit/debit card numbers, other ID info & info on my surfing habits & location history & then selling them onto the highest bidder. The chances the owner will be reprimanded for it are very slim knowing the likes of most government bodies!

If possible use as an emergency backup phone only & make the payment either with a prepaid card or with a card linked to an account with little or no activity.

Just my thoughts/views as always other HUKD'ers can flame me for my comments but i thought i did put up some pertinent comments re: the gamedemon in the past. Even though some of the HUKD sites were still advertising that phony co's wares!!!

source: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/200-min-200sms-512-mb-per-month-for-5-one-off-0-per-month-sponsored-ads-ovivo-mobile-1225914

yeah, i laugh at my sister who barely manages 2 days with her 3g plan, i'm on my 4th day now at 50% :D i will have to make use of the 2g/3g switcher - does that even work in cm9 yet ?

lol, you want to try france if you want real envy - free.fr 15eur/month for unlimited data, unlimited international/mobile phonecalls etc....

yeah i'm thinking i'll have to go with 3 as unlimited data/tethering will be more useful to me than cheap phonecalls, i'd never go over 600mins/month anyway. you sure you can tether on non-oneplan plans though (like SIM600)?

Definitely, if the plan includes 'all you can eat data' (make sure it says it)

The 'one plan' used to be the only plan with all you can eat data, but this has changed with the new sim only plans. I'm going to switch to one soon as I don't need the minutes of the one plan

Edited by 99x

Guest shmizan

yeah it works wonders. I was at auto 2G/3G at first. it was awful :D currently at 2G only and when needed (youtube, browsing) using the power widget to go 3G. that's actually pretty convenient, don't worry.

Guest sej7278

Definitely, if the plan includes 'all you can eat data' (make sure it says it)

The 'one plan' used to be the only plan with all you can eat data, but this has changed with the new sim only plans. I'm going to switch to one soon as I don't need the minutes of the one plan

"all you can eat data" doesn't mean tethering though. from what i can see only oneplan allows tethering, that's why its twice the price or more. before you switch (or i sign up) we need to get that clarified, i'm not convinced from this: http://blog.three.co.uk/2011/06/02/tethering-your-smartphone-on-three/

Guest twelfd

I'm on 3 payg, and i use the £15 bundle (300mins, 3000 texts & all you can eat data) and it says in the t&c's that tethering's not allowed, but i do all the time, i use a good 6-7GB a month with no problems

Guest shoobirdy

I use the same as the post above. I've had no problems and loved it so far apart from not being able to access 'adult' content and doing it on the website doesn't seem to be working for me so I'll have to call them up I guess. FYI, I was trying to access bounty.com (having a baby in November :) ) so not really sure why access to that's restricted but meh!

I had read something saying tethering's ok on this plan but tbh didn't read the T&C's so maybe I was wrong, but like the post above I get through lots of GBs a month - tethering to my computer, downloading apps, netflix etc. Not tried torrenting on this yet but when I did it on Giffgaff they sent me the warning email (even though I was torrenting on my phone).

I thought I'd read that the data cap on the plan in 10000GB or something (tongue-in-cheek) as that's the maximum you could download in a month if you were downloading at max. network speeds 24/7 for the month.

Luckily I live in a city with really good reception and normally had 4/5 bar 3G+ ^_^

All-in-One 15 Add-on.

This Add-on gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts andall-you-can-eat data to use within 30 days.