ICS Spellcheck Fix

Guest davepwsmith

Guest davepwsmith

EDIT: Just got back from Spain - I haven't had chance to test this on B934, so can only confirm that it works on B926/B927. That being said, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. If anyone has successfully used the scripts/fixes on a B934 rom please let me know!

Anyone having problems with the built in spelling correction on ICS (e.g. All words underlined in red), you have two options for the fix:

I've had confirmation that the scripts work on all platforms, so should all be OK! If not, add a message to this thread and I'll do my best to get back to you. I'm exploring caves in Spain from July 15 - August 15 though, so don't expect an answer between those dates!

OPTION ONE (Root NOT required)

Using my script which does it all for you using adb:

Grab this: http://www.mediafire...xr1gm09zoh560xq

Turn your phone on, plug it into your PC and make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Then unzip and run the appropriate script. (dictfix-linux.sh, dictfix-mac.sh, dictfix-windows.bat)

Restart your phone.

This will back up the current IME and dictionary to /sdcard/IME_Backup/ and the install the new dictionaries. If everything works well, you can safely delete the backup, or keep it. As you wish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION TWO (Root REQUIRED)

On your G300:

Download these two files to your phone:

http://www.mediafire...uzl598xj9ul62up

http://www.mediafire...4hrur95o4bocmmm

In a root file manager, move these two files to /system/app/

Delete /system/app/LatinIME.apk, or move it out of /system/app/ (if not, it'll appear as a duplicate entry in Settings that doesn't work properly)

Restart your phone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After using one of these methods, you should have working spellcheck - you'll need turn it on in Settings -> Language and Input :)

Edited by davepwsmith

Guest davepwsmith

Guys - out of interest, did you use the scripts, or just copy the files? I don't have a Windows PC, so was unable to test the .bat file! I thought since it has no possibility of doing anything particularly nasty to your phone I'd provide anyway, and it's so simple that it would be hard for it to go wrong, but confirmation that it works would be great!

Edited by davepwsmith

Guest Rico_89

I used the script and installed everything exactly as you described and the red lines under the text have disappeared, but so did my android keyboard. I usually use "AI typekeyboard" and "Touchpal" but there was an android keyboard in the menu which has now gone. The Huawei IME keyboard is still there but it doesn't have a dictionary.

Guest davepwsmith

That's odd, my Android keyboard is still there - My Huawei IME didn't have predictive until I specifically turned it on in settings. Can you check that LatinImeGoogle.apk and LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk exist in /system/app?

Guest Rico_89

That's odd, my Android keyboard is still there - My Huawei IME didn't have predictive until I specifically turned it on in settings. Can you check that LatinImeGoogle.apk and LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk exist in /system/app?

Yep both there;LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk 123.05k: LatinImeGoogle.apk 5.88MB.

Guest Ellis456q

I did this and there is no /system/app/LatinIME.apk to delete, the only files in there are the two I copied:

LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk

LatinImeGoogle.apk

I also did the script before that, what did I do wrong?.

Guest Rico_89

davepwsmith, I got it working. Tried everything you said and and then simply "Restarted" my phone and the android keyboard reappeared. Thanks :D ! PS I still don't know how to run that command you asked me to :huh: . Tried debuging, then running command prompt from windows but I think I'm getting the path wrong.

I did this and there is no /system/app/LatinIME.apk to delete, the only files in there are the two I copied:

LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk

LatinImeGoogle.apk

I also did the script before that, what did I do wrong?.

Ellis456q, are you using a file manager with root access? There are a lot of files in that directory, maybe you need to enable hidden files?

Edited by Rico_89

Guest davepwsmith

@Ellis456q - The above are two separate ways of doing this, I've edited the post to make this clearer. Any problems seem to be solved by rebooting the phone, although I didn't need to do this.

@PeaceMaker_H - Sinto muito, mas neste momento não há um diccionario para ICS em Português - tens de falar com Google directamente ;)

Guest Davidoff59

Script didnt work for me, just tried on a fresh install. The adb script runs ok but doesnt appear to fix predictive text after reboot and switching it on in input settings. Checked sd card and no backup also.

Its ok though as the manual insertion works

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest davepwsmith

Strange, I'll look at this tomorrow. The mac script definitely works, and most of the work (moving the files into the right place and changing permissions) is done actually on the phone, so the only problem I can think of is that the windows .bat isn't pushing the files on to the phone in the first place. I'll check the .bat file on a PC at work tomorrow and see what the crack is. It's probably got the wrong line breaks or something.

Pah, windows.

Guest ADROW

Anyone getting errors trying to add new words to the dictionary? Every time I try it FCs saying settings have stopped. This was happening both before and after running the script.

Guest tronads

I tried option 2, copying the files over into the system/app folder...used ES File Explorer, had to mount system as writeable etc before it allowed me to copy over.

Hasnt worked though....rebooted the phone, and still have the red lines under 99% of the words. Will try the script method tonight.

Guest timfimjim

I tried option 2, copying the files over into the system/app folder...used ES File Explorer, had to mount system as writeable etc before it allowed me to copy over.

Hasnt worked though....rebooted the phone, and still have the red lines under 99% of the words. Will try the script method tonight.

It worked for me, I used root explorer free

Guest davepwsmith

I also used ES File Explorer to do this the first time, and it worked fine. Bear in mind that you have to go to Settings -> Spelling Correction, press the settings button, and select the correct dictionary.

Guest tronads

I also used ES File Explorer to do this the first time, and it worked fine. Bear in mind that you have to go to Settings -> Spelling Correction, press the settings button, and select the correct dictionary.

That did the trick, cheers. I had two choices in there that appeared identical (in name), so I just chose the other one.

Guest davepwsmith

I had two choices in there that appeared identical (in name), so I just chose the other one.

To fix this you need to move or delete 'LatinIME.apk', as described in the first post.