ICS Spellcheck Fix

Guest davepwsmith

Guest Pathfinder23

You can also install this .zip to fix the problem worked for me :D

http://code.google.com/p/ice-cream-sandwich-sgs/downloads/detail?name=DictFix.zip&can=4&q=

I used the link Andy mentioned above (thanks) and this fixed it for me, I had to rename the file downloaded from LatinIMeGoogle.apk to LatinIME.apk to replace the existing file in /system/app

Edited by Pathfinder23

Guest davepwsmith

I used the link Andy mentioned above (thanks) and this fixed it for me, I had to rename the file downloaded from LatinIMeGoogle.apk to LatinIME.apk to replace the existing file in /system/app

I believe you're meant to flash that zip through clockwork mod. Just for the record, no renaming of files is necessary, all the apks are recognized by the system, but if you keep the original file it shows up as a non-working duplicate (in Settings -> Spelling Correction you will have two 'Android' options).

Guest Pathfinder23

I believe you're meant to flash that zip through clockwork mod. Just for the record, no renaming of files is necessary, all the apks are recognized by the system, but if you keep the original file it shows up as a non-working duplicate (in Settings -> Spelling Correction you will have two 'Android' options).

Oops, looks like I did it the manual way probably took me the same time as booting into recovery & flashing the zip file then restart, also I ended up with only 1 dictionary (so it's not all bad) ;)

Guest dwitcombe

i had problems running the script, turns out my windows7 didny like it, tried on another pc and it worked perfectly. all i need now is a percentage battery mod ;)

don

Guest ADROW

Yes, I seem to be able to. Are you having problems?

I get this error every time I go near language settings or try to add a new word to the UK dictionary.

02SFbl.png

Guest davepwsmith

Hmm, could be a MIUI thing, I run stock. I know that the MIUI ROM on the last phone I had was plagued with FC's for all kinds of things. Can anyone else confirm this bug?

The other interesting 'feature' I've noticed is that my 'Languages' list now lists a variant of English for practically every country in the world, which seems a little colonialist, if you ask me!

Guest ADROW

Hmm, could be a MIUI thing, I run stock. I know that the MIUI ROM on the last phone I had was plagued with FC's for all kinds of things. Can anyone else confirm this bug?

The other interesting 'feature' I've noticed is that my 'Languages' list now lists a variant of English for practically every country in the world, which seems a little colonialist, if you ask me!

It could be. I ran the script as I was getting the dictionary issue with the red lines, and the fix did stop this but I had been getting the dictionary errors prior to that as well. It's not a deal-breaker though, just a little annoying.

Guest davepwsmith

I ran the script as I was getting the dictionary issue with the red lines, and the fix did stop this but I had been getting the dictionary errors prior to that as well.

Sounds like the blame lies elsewhere ;)

Guest kill-9

The script was perfect under linux for B927.

BTW, for thoses having troubles :

1- change the default keyboard to google voice or huawei IME, activate on developer option the USB debugging.

2- reboot your phone and don't open any "prompt" / don't open anything using the keyboard before using this script.

3- plug your usb cable on the phone.

4- run the script (don't forget to do a +x on linux if this is not working)

5- after the script ran, reboot your phone.

6- select back android keyboard, check for your settings back and this should work directly

Have fun :)

Guest stolte

For method 2 for sure for 1 i dont know. My G300 is rooted and Method 1 worked fine (ICS B927) :)

Edited by stolte

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ascend

That did the trick, cheers. I had two choices in there that appeared identical (in name), so I just chose the other one.

This did it for me too. Both were named "Android correction"

Guest RannyDoscoe

I tried using method 1 on B934, but the install failed. It didn't back up my dictionary, but did delete it! Currently stuck with the Huawei dictionary!

Guest samjam

I tried using method 1 on B934, but the install failed. It didn't back up my dictionary, but did delete it! Currently stuck with the Huawei dictionary!

Was your phone rooted AND was USB-debug enabled?

Repeat method 1 again. I had to do it twice, I forget why now

Guest RannyDoscoe

Was your phone rooted AND was USB-debug enabled?

Repeat method 1 again. I had to do it twice, I forget why now

Yeah, tried it a few times, can't save the output from the cmd window (it closes), but it says something about "no such file or directory"...

Guest RannyDoscoe

OK. Checked root and get the OK.

Tried method 2 in several root explorer apps, usually get "operation failed". The smaller file copies OK, but the big one copies around 25% and I get the failed meassage. In ASTRO, I get the message "Copy Error: libcore.io.ErrnoException: open failed: EACCES (permission denied)"...

Guest davepwsmith

it says something about "no such file or directory"...

Tried method 2 in several root explorer apps, usually get "operation failed". The smaller file copies OK, but the big one copies around 25% and I get the failed meassage. In ASTRO, I get the message "Copy Error: libcore.io.ErrnoException: open failed: EACCES (permission denied)"...

This sounds a lot like you might have some sort of problem with your SD card or permissions on your SD card. In fact, do you even have an SD card in the phone? The script relies on that to backup your old dictionary.

This isn't something I can particularly help you with! Try running 'Fix permissions' in clockwork recovery then try again, although this won't necessarily fix permissions on the SD card. As far as I'm aware, the easiest way to fix SD card permissions is to format the card and then copy all your data back. That the file manager is failing to read the files from your SD card has nothing to do with the files themselves, I shouldn't think.

Edited by davepwsmith