ICS Spellcheck Fix

Guest davepwsmith

Guest RannyDoscoe

This sounds a lot like you might have some sort of problem with your SD card or permissions on your SD card. In fact, do you even have an SD card in the phone? The script relies on that to backup your old dictionary.

This isn't something I can particularly help you with! Try running 'Fix permissions' in clockwork recovery then try again, although this won't necessarily fix permissions on the SD card. As far as I'm aware, the easiest way to fix SD card permissions is to format the card and then copy all your data back. That the file manager is failing to read the files from your SD card has nothing to do with the files themselves, I shouldn't think.

Yeah, when I first installed ICS I had a weird issue with Titanium backup, it didn't see my backups until I changed the location to "sdcard2", which was a bit strange. It hasn't really affected anything else and I haven't noticed any issues since. After your suggestion twigged this I switched the default storage location from SD Card to internal storage and back, but still no luck! Appreciate the help though.

Tried fix permissions, but still getting the same errors. Haven't done the copy/format yet. It's next on the to try list, suppose the last option is reinstalling the ROM!

Guest The White Sock

Yeah, tried it a few times, can't save the output from the cmd window (it closes), but it says something about "no such file or directory"...

Did you verified that adb was well installed and fully functional?

Guest davepwsmith

Yeah, when I first installed ICS I had a weird issue with Titanium backup, it didn't see my backups until I changed the location to "sdcard2"

Can you list the contents of your /mnt/ directory? Your external SD should be mounted at /mnt/sdcard, the internal sd card at /mnt/sdcard2. Is it possible that your SD is partitioned (e.g from clockwork mod)? I think that backing up, formatting your SD and restoring the data might be your best bet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BigEric

EDIT: Just got back from Spain - I haven't had chance to test this on B934, so can only confirm that it works on B926/B927. That being said, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. If anyone has successfully used the scripts/fixes on a B934 rom please let me know!

Anyone having problems with the built in spelling correction on ICS (e.g. All words underlined in red), you have two options for the fix:

I've had confirmation that the scripts work on all platforms, so should all be OK! If not, add a message to this thread and I'll do my best to get back to you. I'm exploring caves in Spain from July 15 - August 15 though, so don't expect an answer between those dates!

OPTION ONE (Root NOT required)

Using my script which does it all for you using adb:

Grab this: http://www.mediafire...xr1gm09zoh560xq

Turn your phone on, plug it into your PC and make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Then unzip and run the appropriate script. (dictfix-linux.sh, dictfix-mac.sh, dictfix-windows.bat)

Restart your phone.

This will back up the current IME and dictionary to /sdcard/IME_Backup/ and the install the new dictionaries. If everything works well, you can safely delete the backup, or keep it. As you wish.

Dave,

Sorry to be dim but I'm trying to run the Mac version of your script (by dragging it into a Terminal window and hitting return...) but I get "DictFix/dictfix-mac.sh: line 2: ./adb/adb-mac: No such file or directory"

What am I doing wrong?

(I don't know what "adb" is and wether it's working or not...)

I didn't get any prompt to say that I'm using USB mass storage as I usually do and the phone isn't showing in my Finder.

OSX 10.6.8 btw...

Hope you can get me past this :-)

Thanks!

E

Guest JethroUK

EDIT: Just got back from Spain - I haven't had chance to test this on B934, so can only confirm that it works on B926/B927. That being said, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. If anyone has successfully used the scripts/fixes on a B934 rom please let me know!

Anyone having problems with the built in spelling correction on ICS (e.g. All words underlined in red), you have two options for the fix:

I've had confirmation that the scripts work on all platforms, so should all be OK! If not, add a message to this thread and I'll do my best to get back to you. I'm exploring caves in Spain from July 15 - August 15 though, so don't expect an answer between those dates!

OPTION ONE (Root NOT required)

Using my script which does it all for you using adb:

Grab this: http://www.mediafire...xr1gm09zoh560xq

Turn your phone on, plug it into your PC and make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

Then unzip and run the appropriate script. (dictfix-linux.sh, dictfix-mac.sh, dictfix-windows.bat)

Restart your phone.

This will back up the current IME and dictionary to /sdcard/IME_Backup/ and the install the new dictionaries. If everything works well, you can safely delete the backup, or keep it. As you wish.

After using one of these methods, you should have working spellcheck - you'll need turn it on in Settings -> Language and Input

1/ I know what USB mode is, but what is USB "debugging" mode???????????

2/ Unzip the file where???????? on my PC, on the SD card???????

3/ Run dictfix-windows.bat in dictfix folder or dictfix-windows.bat in MACOX folder?????

4/ Run dictfix-windows.bat from my PC or from mobile???????

Anyone know what whats going on here???????

1/ I know what USB mode is, but what is USB "debugging" mode???????????

2/ Unzip the file where???????? on my PC, on the SD card???????

3/ Run dictfix-windows.bat in dictfix folder or dictfix-windows.bat in MACOX folder?????

4/ Run dictfix-windows.bat from my PC or from mobile???????

Anyone know what whats going on here???????

Lol

For windows

All this is assuming you have ADB set up correctly and it can see your phone, Im not going to go through setting it up.

To check adb is working correctly, open the command promt, type adb devices, and see whether a code is displayed, if nothing comes up adb is not set up.

USB debugging, is a setting that needs to be checked within the phone, its usually in Developer options, but may be somewhere else in other ROMs, so search for it in settings.

Unzip the zip on your PC

Select the dictfix-windows.bat, run as administrator. should do some stuff in command prompt, then it will close prompt, reboot your phone, if the bat file doesnt do it already. Then dictionary should be fixed.

Ive done this method often and it works fine each time.

Edited by noobi

Guest JethroUK

Followed instructions here:

http://androidadvices.com/how-to-install-set-up-and-use-adb-for-android-devices/

Doesn't specify what parts need to be downloaded so left my computer for a few days downloading most of the civilized world

Got to the instruction

"All you need to do is to just launch SDK Manager from the SDK folder and click on “Available packages”"

Android-SDK-driver-Manager-300x174.png

My SDK Manager has no left hand panel??

Just main panel prompting me to download the other half of the world??

Works fine for me. maybe try a different browser.

For Windows

Want to set up ADB or Android Debugging Bridge on your PC, here is a quick guide for you. This tutorial does not need large download or full Android SDK installation. You will just have to download a small compressed file, which is all that you require.

STEP 1: First download this file called ADBUNZIPTOCDRIVE.zip, just click on the link, download will start automatically.

STEP 2: Now download PdaNet for driver installation. It comes with drivers from all major manufacturers, so this is all you need. Install PDAnet after downloading.

STEP 3: Now extract the zip file that we downloaded in the first step to C drive and name the extracted folder ADB.

STEP 4: Now we will go to the desktop and right click to make a new shortcut.

STEP 5: Point the shortcut to ADB folder that we created in step 3, and name the shortcut ADB or whatever you want.

STEP 6: Now right click on that shortcut and go to properties and change START IN field to c:\adb.

STEP 7: Click Apply or OK and you are done. Click on ADB shortcut on the desktop and you are good to go.

Here is list of ADB commands that might be useful for you in the future.

adb devices – list all connected devices

adb push <local> <remote> – copy file/dir to device

adb pull <remote> [<local>] – copy file/dir from device

adb sync [ <directory> ] – copy host->device only if changed

adb shell – run remote shell interactively

adb shell <command> – run remote shell command

adb emu <command> – run emulator console command

adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] – View device log

adb forward <local> <remote> – forward socket connections forward specs are one of: tcp:<port>

localabstract:<unix domain socket name>

localreserved:<unix domain socket name>

localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>

dev:<character device name>

jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)

adb jdwp – list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> – push this package file to the device and install it

adb uninstall [-k] <package> – remove this app package from the device (‘-k’ means keep the data and cache directories)

adb bugreport – return all information from the device

that should be included in a bug report.

adb help – show this help message

adb version – show version num

adb wait-for-device – block until device is online

adb start-server – ensure that there is a server running

adb kill-server – kill the server if it is running

adb get-state – prints: offline | bootloader | device

adb get-serialno – prints: <serial-number>

adb status-window – continuously print device status for a specified device

adb remount – remounts the /system partition on the device read-write

adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] – reboots the device, optionally into the bootloader or recovery program

adb reboot-bootloader – reboots the device into the bootloader

adb root – restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions

adb usb – restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB

adb tcpip <port> – restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on the specified port

Edited by noobi

Guest sillygoose0

I also used ES File Explorer to do this the first time, and it worked fine. Bear in mind that you have to go to Settings -> Spelling Correction, press the settings button, and select the correct dictionary.

This way worked OK for me except I had trouble moving the larger file over, came to the conclusion there was not enough room in my 940 stock rom so took the opportunity to remove the pointless but quite large youtube apk, then copying the dictionary file was OK. Needed a proper off/on reboot (fastboot off) and its working fine. Thank you to the op for making it so easy to follow.

(it would be helpful if ES File Explorer flashed up with 'can't move, insufficient room' instead of just 'failed' but thats another matter!)

Guest sillygoose0

Dont know what I did - ended up with no keyboard at all (just voice type) - downloaded new ICS keyboard and it works fine including dictionary

Sounds like a bit of a heart stopper though. glad you fixed it. Its the only bug I have found in 940 so far.