Jr18 **WiFi** (JDQ39 / 4.2.2): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Nexus 7

Guest PaulOBrien

This may be a dumb question (wouldn't be the first time); but why would I want to bake apps like Map, G+, Currents etc into /system partition? Doesn't this just mean I won't be able to remove them with app manager? Wouldn't I be better having a ROM with very few apps in system and then adding what I want from Play/Market so I can add and remove as needed?

Guest Pondlife

Well most roms would include some of those but if you don't want them baked in this gives you the option not to.

Also might as well have things in the system partition rather than it be half empty and all the apps using the space in data partition/"sd card".

No idea about app manager tbh.

If you want the rom with no of the apps then it's easy to leave them out, choices are good :)

Guest PaulOBrien
This may be a dumb question (wouldn't be the first time); but why would I want to bake apps like Map, G+, Currents etc into /system partition? Doesn't this just mean I won't be able to remove them with app manager? Wouldn't I be better having a ROM with very few apps in system and then adding what I want from Play/Market so I can add and remove as needed?

The more you put on /system, the more space you have on your data partition.

P

Guest comicbookguy

thanks!

love the ROM, and the Nexus 7, btw!

(collected, unlocked, rooted & ROMed within 1hr, using Nexus Toolkit)

Just wondered: my stock browser bookmarks from my GNex don't appear in the stock browser on my Nexus7.... any ideas?

tho they are appearing in chrome as desktop bookmarks?

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Fursty Ferret

I believe that it's because a couple of services had to be disabled to get the stock browser to work - possibly a Chrome conflict?

When they're enabled the stock browser force closes.

I'm getting used to Chrome now so don't need the bookmarks synched to the stock browser any more.

Guest PaulOBrien

A couple of delicious changes uploaded and Jr6 is final. Uploading prebakes now.

P

Changelog

26 July Jr6

• Fixed landscape / portrait navigation options (additional variations added to the kitchen)
  • Patched YouTube application to allow preloading (download for offline viewing) on the Nexus 7

Guest comicbookguy

I believe that it's because a couple of services had to be disabled to get the stock browser to work - possibly a Chrome conflict?

When they're enabled the stock browser force closes.

I'm getting used to Chrome now so don't need the bookmarks synched to the stock browser any more.

i love chrome, but most of my bookmarks need flash. seems odd the two don't conflict on the GNex...

Guest jmagee

i love chrome, but most of my bookmarks need flash. seems odd the two don't conflict on the GNex...

Use flashify. It'll send pages to an other browser when you need flash.

Guest comicbookguy

Paul:

i've gone back to the stock nav bar because the side one narrows the screen too much when watching video in landscape. is there any way you could have the option to move the buttons to either the right or left side of the bottom nav bar for one handed use....?

also, when using the tablet in landscape, does anyone find it a bit counter intuitive that the volume bar moves the wrong way? (the volume up key is on the left and the volume bar moves to the right as volume increases)

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Jason Bowdach

Any way you can consider adding a "tablet mode" without modifying the DPI? Thats the ONLY thing I think some ROMS are missing, I know Google intended it to be used with the Phablet UI, but I personally find the Tablet UI to be much more pleasing and useful, especially if you use your tablet on your desk at work or home (w/ a stand). I know a few CM10 ROMS have it, but nothiong based off the stock AOSP.

Paul,

Is that something you could consider adding to the kitchen as an option? The patch available on XDA does work, but it breaks your Extended Power Menu (which is also quite useful). Seems the only way to have both would be to have you integrate them. Thanks for considering.

Guest comicbookguy

Actually Paul my bar completely disappears in landscape mode. Still there in portrait.

with the first bake i did after the last set of mods, mine did too.(the bar was still there but with no buttons in). i've baked again since and its fine now

Guest PaulOBrien

I tested the hell out of these mods today! :-(

If you get a problem with the UI, please specify which UI option you chose.

P

Guest vagelis

Quick question if I may:

With today's update, when you select this option:

Menu button on both sides also active when hidden - navigation bar on right in landscape installed to /system partition

• This option displays the legacy menu button on both sides when needed (keeping them active when hidden) and the navigation on the right in landscape.

Does Google Now still appear to be "messed up" when you drag the home button to activate it in Landscape?

Thank you in advance, and thank you Mr. P. for your excellence, support and attention to detail.

Guest PaulOBrien

I've isolated the problem to the "Menu button on right hand side (stock style) - navigation bar on right in landscape" option, which i'm fixing now.

re: Google Now in Landscape, i've not tweaked that yet. To follow.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Issue with navigation bar on "Menu button on right hand side (stock style) - navigation bar on right in landscape" option is now resolved in the kitchen. This does not affect the prebake.

You may now resume flashing.

One point of note - I have NOT tested this ROM @ 160dpi... a 160dpi option is coming in a future release. That's not to say it won't work, it's just untested. :)

P