New G300 User - Few Questions...

Guest HuaweiAscend

Guest HuaweiAscend

Hi guys,

I'm new to the G300... I've spent a lot of time lurking and reading here, but wondered if anyone could answer a few questions?

Firstly, I got the G300 from Tesco, and unlocked it via a code on eBay, to use my T-Mobile (contract) SIM.

It's a nice phone, and I'm fairly impressed.

Initially, I did root it, but then installed the B888 ROM which I've not rooted.

The ROM seems decent, and I can see no major issues with it, which is good - obviously, for me the main perk was the debranding and removal of the Vodafone bloatware (not much use to a T-Mobile user!).

I understand than ICS is on it's way, and that there's a Chinese ROM already in circulation, however I see this has a Chinese bootscreen and some Chinese apps installed?

Are there any videos or images of this, so I know what to expect if I were to update?

Also, the B888 ROM, unofficial (well, official but not for the UK, if I'm correct?), is this one which cannot be downgraded easily? Obviously, if the forthcoming ICS UK update needs a downgrade, or to install from B885, will I be able to do this?

Are there any issues I should be aware of with the B888 ROM? As I've mentioned, all seems fine so far, I've had the handset a week now.

One issue I do have, is the Voicemail prompts - I get the prompt fine, but it shows 222 as the number, and although I see a setting, I cannot change the number, I receive an error message?

I know all of this stuff will have been covered, but I've read that many posts that my head's a mess with it all!

I do have limited experience of custom ROMs and CWM, use and installation more than anything, I initially had a rooted HTC Magic a couple of years ago, and until last week, I owned a ZTE Crescent (T-Mobile Vivacity) for a few weeks, which I'd installed CM7 on.

Sorry for boring you all, but hopefully you guys can be kind enough to help me out!

Cheers,

HuaweiAscend

Guest Davidoff59

B888 is difficult to downgrade from.

The Chinese ICS has a few Chinese apps which are easily removed with root.

Reg B888, I would remove potter unlock as it can freeze the phone.

Guest Andymac1969

What's Potter Unlock?

Sorry, I don't seem to have seen that, to be honest.

The four way unlock screen when you turn on your screen

or this

post-407498-0-84817000-1342033393_thumb.

Guest putbinoot

I use B888 and have no problem with the unlock screen and like it in fact, only wish you could add more choices.

I think ICS uk will upgrade fine with no downgrade as ICS chinese does this fine and it should act the same as it's an official upgrade.

As for voicemail check out thread below with attention paid to post 13.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353426-possible-voicemail-fix-it-works-d/

Guest wolfgirl

B888 is difficult to downgrade from.

The Chinese ICS has a few Chinese apps which are easily removed with root.

Reg B888, I would remove potter unlock as it can freeze the phone.

Maybe I was lucky but when I had to take my first phone to vodafone (it was giving me problems with the touch) I had B888 rooted and with CWM and I had the backup (in the sd card) of the original rom that came with my phone I tried to downgrade from B888 to the original and it worked

Guest wolfgirl

Is it ok to install apps ram booster or optimizer in this phone?

most times when playing games or even in the menu it gets some lag and the memory ram free is really low... <_<

Guest Davidoff59

Potter unlock can be buggy and it is difficult to get into the phone when it acts up.

Wolfgirl, you could try a different launcher from the market. Try Nemus launcher if you want. Ram use will depend on what apps you install.Some apps will start on boot and run in the background.

Guest HuaweiAscend

Thanks, I've had no issues with the default unlocker.

Does anyone have any more info on the ICS build out there? Such as images of the boot screen, and can it be replaced with the default one?

Also, what are the Chinese apps and are they easy to remove?

Finally..... when the Vodafone exclusive ends, I'm guessing there'll be a debranded ICS version out there?

Guest Pondlife

Thanks, I've had no issues with the default unlocker.

Does anyone have any more info on the ICS build out there? Such as images of the boot screen, and can it be replaced with the default one?

Also, what are the Chinese apps and are they easy to remove?

Finally..... when the Vodafone exclusive ends, I'm guessing there'll be a debranded ICS version out there?

The boot screen is ugly but how often do we see the boot screen once phone set up, as yet can only be replaced on Miui rom.

Depends on whether you flash the vendor part as to how many and which chinese apps it installs as most have symbols as names best bet is to look for the vendor.app thread for screenshots. yep easily removed once rooted.

Using cwm to flash HTCmania rom once updated to official ICS clears them out too, though not the boot screen, guessing Paul's rom in the forthcoming modaco rom thread also clears it up if you have access to the rom kitchen.

Unless it's available sim free I think we'll just see other network branded versions rather than a clean one.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Is it ok to install apps ram booster or optimizer in this phone?

App killers are pointless as Android has integrated task management. I don't even use one with my current Galaxy i7500 which only has 128 MB of RAM. There are scripts available to alter the task killing thresholds such as the 'SuperCharger'. The best way to prevent unnecessary RAM usage it to prevent apps autoloading when they are not needed by you. There are apps such as 'autostarts' out there that allow you to set the autostart triggers per app... And there are plenty of apps that attach themselves to as many triggers as they can get away with for no good reason, buts that the Android ecosystem for you - battery wastage hell.

Guest HuaweiAscend

The boot screen is ugly but how often do we see the boot screen once phone set up, as yet can only be replaced on Miui rom.

Depends on whether you flash the vendor part as to how many and which chinese apps it installs as most have symbols as names best bet is to look for the vendor.app thread for screenshots. yep easily removed once rooted.

Using cwm to flash HTCmania rom once updated to official ICS clears them out too, though not the boot screen, guessing Paul's rom in the forthcoming modaco rom thread also clears it up if you have access to the rom kitchen.

Unless it's available sim free I think we'll just see other network branded versions rather than a clean one.

Thanks for that.

So, overall, do you reckon it's worth waiting for the official ICS, or installing one of the modded ones?

Guest Pondlife

Thanks for that.

So, overall, do you reckon it's worth waiting for the official ICS, or installing one of the modded ones?

I like playing with roms so I went with putting ICS on my partners phone, I'm not one for waiting for networks personally. (already looking forward to Jelly Bean roms :) )

Hardest part is choosing which ics rom though with htcmania and miui currently and seemingly one from Paul and another from Tillaz incoming.

Hpez's guide is very good for installing ICS.

Remember to back up contacts and texts etc beforehand though. (I forgot and took a while to go back to old version to get them)

Guest HuaweiAscend

Thanks, I'd probably try the Huawei ROM first, then see how I go.

I'd like the option to go back to B888, and I believe using the hacked IMEI boot ROM flash, I can do this?

So, in theory, if I took a CWM backup on B888 as I am now, then upgraded to ICS, didn't like it, I could revert to how I have it now?

In theory again, I could go back to B885 which was supplied on the handset a couple of weeks ago?

One last thing... none of these will effect the unlock (SIM) on the phone, right?

Guest Davidoff59

If you go to ics, your backup won't restore.

There is a hacky way to go back to gingerbread and is covered in the forum.

Sim unlocking is entirely seperate to from flashing and doing on does not affect the other.

Guest HuaweiAscend

Hi there,

I realise I can't restore the backup directly, but if I were to downgrade back to B888, then I would be able to restore my backup?

Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Guest bladebuddy

Hi got my phone yesterday and rooted and installed CWM which involves putting the drivers on my p.c. Now when I connect my phone to the p.c to move filles over I get either something about mobile partner or a, CD drive (E) widget but not able to see any of the files on my sd card. Could really do with this sorting out as I need dynamite to get the back off this phone to get to the sd card.

Also I am quiet happy with the stock rom which I intend on debranding e.t.c and waiting for the official ICS update, but have the well know quiet ringtone problem. There is a option to sort this out with a upgrade in settings/about phone/online upgrade but every time I try to download it, it stops at 3.12 mb of a 14 mb download. So is there a patch for this or will I have to flash another stock rom. I think mine is 882 and have read 884 or 886 will sort it but not 888 am I right? Sorry for all the questions but this forum got so big. Thanks Jay.

P.S my p.c is a Asus Eee Box on xp if that helps.

Guest Hogweed

You should be able to access pull down menu and select USB connected notification then turn on drive mode even if not prompted to do so automatically. Alternatively turn off USB debugging if on and try again.

Check your current ROM build in Settings=> About Phone>Build Number (last 4 characters - eg B888 for me). Don't know why an OTA upgrade is failing. Are you trying on wifi or 3g. Maybe try the other option? The Vodafone OTA update fixed my low sound issue.

Guest Pondlife

I realise I can't restore the backup directly, but if I were to downgrade back to B888, then I would be able to restore my backup?

Is that correct?

Yep should be possible

Guest Pondlife

Hi got my phone yesterday and rooted and installed CWM which involves putting the drivers on my p.c. Now when I connect my phone to the p.c to move filles over I get either something about mobile partner or a, CD drive (E) widget but not able to see any of the files on my sd card. Could really do with this sorting out as I need dynamite to get the back off this phone to get to the sd card.

Also I am quiet happy with the stock rom which I intend on debranding e.t.c and waiting for the official ICS update, but have the well know quiet ringtone problem. There is a option to sort this out with a upgrade in settings/about phone/online upgrade but every time I try to download it, it stops at 3.12 mb of a 14 mb download. So is there a patch for this or will I have to flash another stock rom. I think mine is 882 and have read 884 or 886 will sort it but not 888 am I right? Sorry for all the questions but this forum got so big. Thanks Jay.

P.S my p.c is a Asus Eee Box on xp if that helps.

Yeah I struggle with the back too, and worry about breaking the little clippy things. If you can't get the usb working as hogweed suggests you could grab a wifi transfer app (I use Wifi file explorer pro)

Upgrade situation is odd unless on o2 at least, I think 885 is the one that fixes the sound.

Guest bladebuddy
You should be able to access pull down menu and select USB connected notification then turn on drive mode even if not prompted to do so automatically. Alternatively turn off USB debugging if on and try again.

Check your current ROM build in Settings=> About Phone>Build Number (last 4 characters - eg B888 for me). Don't know why an OTA upgrade is failing. Are you trying on wifi or 3g. Maybe try the other option? The Vodafone OTA update fixed my low sound issue.

Last numbers about build 882, have copied lots of files on my blade just pull down notification and select turn on USB storage that's not working and USB debuging is turned off.

Could you elaborate on what drive mode is as not very good with p.c if drive mode is there and not on the phone cheers.

Guest Hogweed

The CD drive you are seeing is perfectly normal (nothing to do with rooting or CWMl. You should still see another two drives though but they will not be readable until you allow it on the phone. When plugging in the USB you should see "USB Connected" appear in the notification bar (if you don't go straight to the turn on prompt automatically). Pull this down and select the notification then "Turn on USB storage". If you are not getting the notification then I don't know what's wrong I'm afraid.

The reason I mentioned debugging is that when I have this turned on the phone never prompts me to turn storage on - I have to pull down the notification and select it. I don't know why this is.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest bladebuddy

If I am in cwm and try to mount USB storage I see my sd card on my p.c but as soon as I reboot it vanishes very strange I used the one click method, well at least I can use this without pulling the back off so thanks anyway.