Ascend g300

Guest shonedek

Guest shonedek

Hi all. I have been looking at purchasing this phone after my Blackberry storm died and couldn't be fixed.i had a ton of issues with the old phone and very little help with fixes for it from the BB forum and i have been seriously put off by that!

What i want to know is will i be happy if i buy this phone after using a BB for almost a year. I have to say i have looked through the forum and reviews and it does look like a nice phone and also if there is a problem there is someone here that will help.. I have had to downgrade to a none smart phone and oh my i am pulling my hair out.

Any help would be fantastic. One thing that puts me off is the issue with speaker volume which seems to be easy to fix but others going on about something that freezes on the phone and that makes me a little nervous.

Thanks so much for your time

Guest Andymac1969

If you have the duff firmware, an OTA update usually fixes it, when I upgraded to B888 the speaker was as loud as hell, so I wouldn't worry

Guest Davidoff59

Different league to Blackberry. My path went from years if Nokias to 1 Blackberry to Zte Blade which was my first Android.

Never going back.

The thing I like is there is so much to learn with Android if you want to learn. I think this is pretty unique to the Android operating system due to it being open sourced. Get bored, just change the launcher or flash another rom.

The freezing appears to be tied to Huaweis lock screen. Delete it and Google's lock screen appears. The sound issues are there for some. Others don't have issues but ICS should be here soon which should fix sound issues for all.

It will probably be the best £100 you ever spent no exaggeration

Guest shonedek

thanks for the help so far but i find things like "Get bored, just change the launcher or flash another rom." goes whooosh over my head.I have no idea what that is as i never had anything like this with the BB.I am so scared of changing stuff and screwing it up lol

Guest Davidoff59

The launcher is like modifying a car. Change the paint and wheels, make it go a bit faster, but at the press of a button, you can go back to what you had before, press a button, modified again. Its the simplest modification you can do. Just download a launcher from Android market, have a play and if you don't like it, uninstall it again.

It is your interface with the phone basically. How it looks, how the app drawer looks and feels, transition effects etc etc.

The rom is the phones operating system basically. There is stock Huawei, CM9, possibly CM10, Tillaz's rom, Pauls Modaco Rom, Chinese Roms.

Each is different in some way. CM9 has loads of settings and layout changes, tillaz tweaks his roms for speed and changes how they look etc.

I could go on all night but I won't as reading helps you to understand. If I started going on about clockworkmod, you wouldn't have a clue but now I have your interest piqued, you will have a search and a read and see how much its used.

Guest Rico_89

thanks for the help so far but i find things like "Get bored, just change the launcher or flash another rom." goes whooosh over my head.I have no idea what that is as i never had anything like this with the BB.I am so scared of changing stuff and screwing it up lol

I have modified quite a few things before like my xbox, pc etc. but this was my first android phone and I just stumbled on to these boards while researching the G300 before I bought one. I had no intention of modifying anything, I just wanted info on the G300 and after reading a few threads I thought "Is This The English speaking Forums?" lol eg. CWM, CM9, Nandroid, Atomic Mod, GR2, Baking and the Kitchen Sink.. However this insane asylum :ph34r: is infectious and after some reading of the pinned threads, watching youtube videos and asking stupid questions I have now installed ICS, ADB drivers, Rooted\unlock bootloader, CWM, IMEI backed up, Nandroid back up, Flashed a few mods and I'm still asking stupid questions lol. :P

I would say though not to install anything unofficial for the first 30 days after purchase.

Guest shonedek

great thanks so much Davidoff59 and Rico_89. I am now off to buy the phone tomorrow and i am now reading all the help files lol. Again thanks so much.you guys have been so much better then the ones on the BB forums,you actually answer!

Guest shonedek

got it and very happy so far.is very different to the BB i had but so much faster and smoother! Now all i need to do is get it unlocked and then i can really play

Guest Rico_89

got it and very happy so far.is very different to the BB i had but so much faster and smoother! Now all i need to do is get it unlocked and then i can really play

Cool :D

I would suggest you install ES file explorer from the app store, it's free and it basically works like windows in terms of managing your files and folders, ie creating folders/ copy/ paste files etc.

PS ... It runs even better and faster under ICS.

Guest shonedek

great will look into that and thanks.Now how easy is it to unlock it.I have just been onto ebay. Some say code sent quick other says upto 24 hours.Are these ok to use or would i be better getting a shop to unlock it? No vodaphone shop here in this town. I got phone from tescos

Guest Rico_89

I used eBay and it took about 24 hours. Just check the sellers feedback to see how fast others have recieved their codes and you should be good to go. Shouldn't cost more than 5 to £6.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest shonedek

thanks Rico. have just ordered one for £5 so am waiting :).... again thanks so much for your help.It is nice to find a forum that actually replies. BB forum left a lot to be desired and put me right off!. I am not good with change so was finding this all a little daunting