[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

Guest anantk

This is now the final CM10 release - for real this time. ;)

cm-10-20130108-KonstaKANG-blade.zip

http://www.mediafire...428z9l44e6rf66i

md5:9a696d776d0dae0ea0d9800b60e55bf3

-fixed charger mode detection

-fake vsync events

-set correct permissions for boostpulse (now it actually works :P)

-enabled divx and wma hw decoding (again)

-switched back to jellybean camera (again) & fixed preview glitches

-Allow purging of asset bitmaps (1)

Thanks KonstaT for the above updates in the ROM. Only small glitch --> Panorama preview shows some glitches. Legacy Camera Panorama preview from 27-12 ROM was perfect. But that's fine.

Once again thank you very much for your efforts.

• Allow purging of asset bitmaps (1)

This seems to be broken. There's a commit that enables purging by default, but the patch that re-enables the functionality in the framework hasn't been committed to the jellybean branch yet, so it does nothing. This should be added to the patches in the device tree.

Edited by Guest

Guest KonstaT

This seems to be broken. There's a commit that enables purging by default, but the patch that re-enables the functionality in the framework hasn't been committed to the jellybean branch yet, so it does nothing. This should be added to the patches in the device tree.

Errm, no. Did you even check the link you quoted? That's how I've usually pointed out gerrit patches that are yet to be merged.

This is now the final CM10 release - for real this time. ;)

cm-10-20130108-KonstaKANG-blade.zip

http://www.mediafire...428z9l44e6rf66i

md5:9a696d776d0dae0ea0d9800b60e55bf3

-fixed charger mode detection

-fake vsync events

-set correct permissions for boostpulse (now it actually works :P)

-enabled divx and wma hw decoding (again)

-switched back to jellybean camera (again) & fixed preview glitches

-Allow purging of asset bitmaps (1)

what do the fake v-sync events mean? (do they do anything to improve the performance, or they're just there to avoid UI crashes?)

also, please don't drop support for this rom until CM10.1 has bluetooth working.

Edited by Guest

Errm, no. Did you even check the link you quoted? That's how I've usually pointed out gerrit patches that are yet to be merged.

Sorry, I think I get it now. So the link to gerrit indicates you have merged that patch for your build?

Guest KonstaT

what do the fake v-sync events mean? (do they do anything to improve the performance, or they're just there to avoid UI crashes?)

It emulates vsync events where vsync events are normally passed from kernel driver to userspace driver. We can't have vsync (in sense of 'project butter') at kernel level but this intercepts vsync 'chain' and feeds fake data in between. Vsync should now work from hwcomposer onward to framework (and I still emphasize word should :P).

If it increases smoothness or reduces underruns on our device remains to be seen. Can't say that I've noticed much of a difference...

Sorry, I think I get it now. So the link to gerrit indicates you have merged that patch for your build?

Yes, you got it. :)

By the way, did anyone notice occasional graphical glitches and corruption in Trebuchet's text rendering? Sometimes I see small glitches in the fadeout part of icon titles that are too long. That's not really a problem. However, somewhat more rarely, I get this:

FD9Zu.png

Text rendering is completely broken, as if the GPU is reading random data instead of the actual glyph bitmaps. Shadows still look fine, though. I looked through the HWUI librarie's commit log, and apparently it was blessed with a metric ton of bugfixes in Android 4.2. I hope it is not a bug in the GPU drivers and fixable or already fixed.

Guest archish

Switch off allow purging of assets or clear the recent app list to free memory. This will fix the graphics issue

Edited by archish

Guest elrond_bs

KonstaT, I tried H\W video decoding (divx) with last version (8.1), and it's not working (MX Player and VLC). :( Tested different videos with different parameters (with B frames, no B frames, etc.), but no luck, only S\W works as before. Have you tested it, and what\where is supposed to work?

Everything else is OK, the ROM seems a little smother.

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Ganster

@elrond_bs, What container you trying to play? What video/audio encoders used to make this video?

We have support only simple profile of mpeg4-asp and baseline of avc. Audio need to be encoded to mp3(not AC3!) in avi container, or aac/amr for mp4.

Sorry for the newbie question. I have a UK AMOLED Orange San Francisco running a Modaco 2.1 ROM, and I want to try out this ROM. As I understand it, I need to TPT the ROM on there, is that right? But the TPT link (Amphoras) in the first post is dead.

Is it possible to get a single download that will repartition my phone and install the latest version of this ROM, or are there more steps involved?

Any help most welcome!

Guest sabertoothxxx

You will

Sorry for the newbie question. I have a UK AMOLED Orange San Francisco running a Modaco 2.1 ROM, and I want to try out this ROM. As I understand it, I need to TPT the ROM on there, is that right? But the TPT link (Amphoras) in the first post is dead.

Is it possible to get a single download that will repartition my phone and install the latest version of this ROM, or are there more steps involved?

Any help most welcome!

No there is more than one step first of all root your device(try the tutorials posted here and then the best way is to download TPT helper app from playstore and then use the tpt which has atleast a 180 mb system partition), flash that then flash this rom.

You will No there is more than one step first of all root your device(try the tutorials posted here and then the best way is to download TPT helper app from playstore and then use the tpt which has atleast a 180 mb system partition), flash that then flash this rom.

Thanks. I think the phone is already rooted as it has a Modaco ROM on it, with SU preinstalled.

What will the TPT Helper do? Create a file on the SD card to boot from to format the phone in the right sizes? Have I got that right? WIll that get rid of CWM?

If CWM remains then after formatting it's just a matter of installing this ROM through CWM?

Sorry about all the questions. :)

Guest TehStalker

Thanks. I think the phone is already rooted as it has a Modaco ROM on it, with SU preinstalled.

What will the TPT Helper do? Create a file on the SD card to boot from to format the phone in the right sizes? Have I got that right? WIll that get rid of CWM?

If CWM remains then after formatting it's just a matter of installing this ROM through CWM?

Sorry about all the questions. :)

TPT Helper will do just that, and reinstall CWM. Then you flash as normal.

Guest azidhaka

Great work, KonstaT!

Unfortunately 8.1 broke the online audio streaming for me. I am receiving data, but there is no playback. It was working on 27.12 when you reverted the hardware acceleration for media, and before that, when OMX was completely out of the picture.

Maybe Ganster can help with that. Online streaming uses the native android audio decoding service and is not working. Other apps like Winamp use own engine and do work.

For now, my best option is the 27.12 release with the kernel which fixed charging.

Guest elrond_bs

@elrond_bs, What container you trying to play? What video/audio encoders used to make this video?

We have support only simple profile of mpeg4-asp and baseline of avc. Audio need to be encoded to mp3(not AC3!) in avi container, or aac/amr for mp4.

I tried few normal Xvid L5 test videos, but also the videos I sent you, one of which is the simplest possible profile, even with PCM audio. In MX Player it doesn't start with H\W decoder and it crashes with H\W+, in VLC - directly crashes, when hardware decoding is enabled. :(

Guest KonstaT

KonstaT, I tried H\W video decoding (divx) with last version (8.1), and it's not working (MX Player and VLC). :( Tested different videos with different parameters (with B frames, no B frames, etc.), but no luck, only S\W works as before. Have you tested it, and what\where is supposed to work?

Everything else is OK, the ROM seems a little smother.

What Ganster said.

I can even play my test clip (xvid/mp3) in QuickPic without a problem.

Great work, KonstaT!

Unfortunately 8.1 broke the online audio streaming for me. I am receiving data, but there is no playback. It was working on 27.12 when you reverted the hardware acceleration for media, and before that, when OMX was completely out of the picture.

Maybe Ganster can help with that. Online streaming uses the native android audio decoding service and is not working. Other apps like Winamp use own engine and do work.

For now, my best option is the 27.12 release with the kernel which fixed charging.

Can you get a logcat/more info for Ganster? I wonder if it breaks something else as well.

It seems that divx support is somewhat limited and hardly anyone uses wma audio. I'm still not sure if the benefits are greater than the disadvantages. It would be great to have some kind of pros/cons list, as I don't use my phone as a media device that much (other than listening mp3's from sdcard). There's surely been enough reverting with that one commit already... :P

May be KonstaT uses old proprietaries... You can compare libs with my from here: https://github.com/a...proprietary/lib

Exactly where I got them this time around.

Guest Jenik 38

@peta809: RTSP streaming doesnt work on our device starting from CM9, and its hard to fix. May be I'll try to fix it later, but it's not important for me...

Dear Ganster,

Thanks for explanation. I have same problem like as @peta809, and my friend from CZ. We still waiting on gingerbred versions roms.

For me is most hardly that you fix RTSP streaming. :).

But thanks for reply and identification problem.

regards, Jan

Guest azidhaka

Can you get a logcat/more info for Ganster? I wonder if it breaks something else as well.

I have no explanation of this, but when i prepared the logcat session suddenly the two streaming programs began working?! Same as before, data flows, but now there is a playback instead of silence. If they go wrong again, i'll look into them.

May i suggest, KonstaT, since all users have different needs, to provide two versions of the ROM, one with the hardware decoding and one without. That way everyone can select whichever works best for them.