[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

Hey everyone...I'm reading this thread for quite a while now and I'm testing many of the releases. And I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing work. I really love using my blade again. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to give you good feedback about bugs I've spotted or anything that might help you fixing things or developing the rom. The only thing I'm missing are my picasa web albums in the gallery and a little more free space for apps =) (Somehow S2E does not seem to work properly. However I'm just waiting for the next release and maybe it works again =) ) Apart from that it's an amazingly stable rom and a big leap from the blade's stock rom. That's all for now. Good work!

Guest commander_keen

Just a few things I noticed you might want to add to your "not working" or internal bug-list, if someone can confirm them (or even fix if possible and time allows (if I can be of any help as a non-programmer, just let me know what I can do to help)):

- Google Voice Search (now tied together with Google Now it seems) instantly says it didn't understand after being called from the search-widget on the desktop for example, it stops to listen within a second after initializing. When calling from the menu it listens once, websearch is prepared but commands not recognized. Behaviour after that is the same as calling the widget: instant end of listening

- Samba Filesharing doesn't work (used to work on the Blade under CM7.2 and works on other rooted JellyBean devices), the app runs but the sharing itself cannot be successfully activated after enabled, no visible error-message

- the camera picture stays completely white after opening the camera app via the locksceen. Picture is taken normally though, one just cannot see what is being photographed (using the camera after unlocking works fine)

- not reproducable for me yet but occured three times in a few days: mobile data-connection is not established after turning off WiFi. Switching it off and on again didn't help, re-selecting the provider after scanning for available ones was necessary

This is not meant as whining or complaining, just what I tested/experienced so far. ;-)

Thanks for your efforts.

Edited by commander_keen

since the last update my alarm clock doesn't work (doesn't ring, only vibrates) - the folder "Alarms" on the SD-card is empty also - even though I strictly followed KonstaTs instructions "Updating from some other ROM". the .ogg-files in /system/media/audio/alarms do exist

does someone have a clue?

You need to reset your alarms after alarm management was added to profiles. This has already been discussed couple of pages back.

... The only thing I'm missing are my picasa web albums in the gallery and a little more free space for apps =) (Somehow S2E does not seem to work properly. ...

I think you'll need Google's gallery app for Picasa sync to work. It was included in some early jb-gapps packages. It's not anymore because camera app is bundled into the gallery in jelly bean. Replacing gallery would also mean losing any customization to camera. We still use a separate camera app (legacy camera) at the moment so it doesn't matter that much.

S2E should work fine. You are not supposed to move app data (/data/data) or dalvik-cache (/data/dalvik-cache) to your sd-ext.

- Google Voice Search (now tied together with Google Now it seems) instantly says it didn't understand after being called from the search-widget on the desktop for example, it stops to listen within a second after initializing. When calling from the menu it listens once, websearch is prepared but commands not recognized. Behaviour after that is the same as calling the widget: instant end of listening

- Samba Filesharing doesn't work (used to work on the Blade under CM7.2 and works on other rooted JellyBean devices), the app runs but the sharing itself cannot be successfully activated after enabled, no visible error-message

- the camera picture stays completely white after opening the camera app via the locksceen. Picture is taken normally though, one just cannot see what is being photographed (using the camera after unlocking works fine)

It's a small miracle that we have at least some level of voice search working. It requires an external app and using the widget button will launch a wrong voice search. Full voice search/voice typing/etc in ICS/JB requires ARMv7 libs so it will never happen. Workaround is to use the external app.

CIFS is not baked into the kernel, it comes as a separate module. You might have manually load it with 'insmod' first ('su' and 'insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko' in terminal).

Android should give you an option which camera app to use when you select camera from the lockscreen. You've selected the wrong one (jelly bean camera). It's hidden from the app drawer but you can still access it from few places. Some of our hack breaks preview on jelly bean camera so I've included an alternative (legacy camera).

You are not supposed to move dalvik-cache (/data/dalvik-cache) to your sd-ext.

:huh:

How can we afford not moving dalvik

my(160+ apps inc system) dalvik cache is almost 190mb which leaves just 70-80 mb for app data

Edited by vNa5h

Guest TehStalker

my(160+ apps inc system) dalvik cache is almost 190mb which leaves just 70-80 mb for app data

You are not supposed to have 160+ apps. Even if you have to move stuff to sd-ext, dalvik is probably the last thing you would want to move due to the performance impact.

You are not supposed to have 160+ apps. Even if you have to move stuff to sd-ext, dalvik is probably the last thing you would want to move due to the performance impact.

Maybe, but why not moving /data/data then ?

As for performances, I don't know is there are benchmarks available, but my SD card is almost as fast as my Blade NAND. At leat I can't feel any speed difference.

What kinda logic is that ...

i phone is meant to have apps isnt it :)

btw how many 'things' are left if you drop dalviks -- only apps

Maybe, but why not moving /data/data then ?

As for performances, I don't know is there are benchmarks available, but my SD card is almost as fast as my Blade NAND. At leat I can't feel any speed difference.

moving data is highly not recommended...

since app data has lots of files...causes sdcard wear and tear ppl say

and apps wold lag like hell unless you have a class 10 sdcard

Edited by vNa5h

moving data is highly not recommended...

since app data has lots of files...causes sdcard wear and tear ppl say

and apps wold lag like hell unless you have a class 10 sdcard

I do have a Class 10 card, indeed. A Samsung MB-MPAGA/EU.

As I said in my previous post, I moved apps and apps data and I do not notice any slowdown.

Guest 222nobrak

but when you do not move dalvik to sd is really little things you can install on your phone .. several small applications and end, screams of lack of space .. and where some of the 2 games yet

Guest AlphaVision

I also have moved everything to SD card. It was inevitable. The Davlik Cache is big and I constantly was getting low disk space waring. I do not have that many apps, but once moving the davlik warning disappeared

Dalvik is more accessed that data

How can you afford losing performance on a device that is already slow and outdated. I think your math doesn't quite add up either. Optimal situation would be of course to keep your system partition as small as possible (removing unneeded dictionaries will get you very easily below 138mb) and to keep everything in internal memory.

Moving app data is absolutely the worst. Dalvik is created (written) once and accessed when app loads to memory. App data is constantly read/written in small pieces.

Correct answer is that you should move neither. Then again there are people who are perfectly happy running complete ROMs from sdcard. Just don't complain about performance if you do that...

Is is just me or when you try to setup a 6x6 pattern lockscreen,after setting it and turning off the screen my phone does a soft reboot and goes it boot loop

Yes, everyone. Already asked and answered. There's an issue with the lockscreen clock alignment patch with secure lockscreen options.

Guest Lazaroid

and what is the way to "unloop"?

I think I had the same probleme and went back to CM9 then... I still love it but liked CM10 even better!

I had the the problem that when I updated to the 09092012 release I had a boot loop when I tried to unlock (I already had a PIN unlock set from the previous release). This is down to a bug in CM10 rather than Konstat's ROM.

What I did was reflash the previous release, turn off the lock-screen altogether, and reflash the newer ROM. I then made a backup with cwm and started testing different lock options. Swipe unlock is fine but trying PIN unlock again gave the boot loop and I restored from my backup. I can live with swipe unlock until it gets fixed! :)