It's Q3, any news on LG ICS update is coming!

Guest aaww

It has been a while since I posted anything on this forum as LG 2x ROM development pretty much came to stopped, and all we could see are minor changes or roms that are based on other roms(not very true but the fire is dead since the source code for the Tegra2 is not available).

The good news are that LG will produce the ICS rom, only now it doesn't really matter many of you and I hope you have the chance to move on to more trustworthy companies.

I am not posting here to share the frustration and disappointment I feel towards LG, but to let you know(if you didn't already) that around September we will have an official ICS ROM,

That is according to LG's Facebook page https://www.facebook...334420639902596 . And I also had a conversation with LG support In Sweden and understood from them September will be it.

Even tho, I say HOLD YOUR HORSES, LG has a very bad history of updates, I believe the initial release will be as buggy as hell because they simply don't have the time or the man power to maintain so many devices.

In my opinion, LG is trying to act like Samsung and puke devices on to the market but they don't have the same backbone to support all of them or even some of them appropriately,

I would wait for Paul if he will decide to release anything or continue his work on the device.

For all of you who will have this device for some time, I am hoping that Jellybeans will support Tegra2 and hope some developer will pick up the glove and do something for the community.

Apologies for the mistake in the topics name, Cant seem to edit it....Should quick drinking and posting.... :)

Cheers,

Albert.

Edited by aaww

Guest mankian

TBH i dont care how crap their release is as long as the drivers work, so hopefully CM9 will come to the P990...

Sadly, some of us like me entered into a 2 year contract, so this phone really has to last as long as possible! (another 10 months before I can upgrade anyway)

Guest everett_psycho
TBH i dont care how crap their release is as long as the drivers work, so hopefully CM9 will come to the P990...

Sadly, some of us like me entered into a 2 year contract, so this phone really has to last as long as possible! (another 10 months before I can upgrade anyway)

same here, as long as someone with the know how can rip it to shreds and make it work i'll be happy especially if cm9 comes out alright. I've toyed with getting a new phone but i've not had the 02x for a year yet so seems too soon. I think i'm going to put up with it until the next nexus is out and get that, the opposite end of the upgrade time scale

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anil K Solanki

same here, as long as someone with the know how can rip it to shreds and make it work i'll be happy especially if cm9 comes out alright. I've toyed with getting a new phone but i've not had the 02x for a year yet so seems too soon. I think i'm going to put up with it until the next nexus is out and get that, the opposite end of the upgrade time scale

Hi everett_psycho, I'm not sure if you remember me, but we bought our O2X's at the same time. I too have been a little frustrated by the ever moving software schedule from LG. If they do release in September they will only be two years behind the OS release curve. Pathetic.

But I'm not here to rag on LG's shortcomings. But here to ask for opinions from experienced O2X users. My apologies is I offend anyone or break any forum rules by asking this here.

I bought myself a Galaxy Nexus to stop being a prisoner to vapour software schedules. So I'm in the process of boxing up my less than a year old O2X. I had been running a CM9 kang. But I feel the lack of certain features not working might dissuade some potential eBay buyers. So, I have flashed temasek's CM7 kang, and damn it is very snappy. But would I be better off going completely back to stock?

If so, would that include going to stock recovery? One of the biggest reasons for asking this is because I used the stock ROM for 10mins before rooting and flashing a kang. So I have no idea if stock is truly shite. But I do know if I go back to full stock then at least the handset should receive an OTA update if there is one.

Any opinions and recommendations are welcomed. Many thanks. Anil

UPDATE: In the interim between my original question and lunch. I decided to simply go back to stock 2.3.4 Gingerbread. Overall I think it's better to leave the decision to the next owner. They can choose to stay stock or flash something else. Thanks to the kind folks on this forum for their help.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest SuperSkill

Hi aksolanski:)

Nice to see you around(i have actually seen you post on xda a couple of times) :)

If I were to sell my o2x i would not do it with cm7 or 9(not 10 either if it were released). I would sell it with a custom stock based rom as an optimised o2x with some instructions for how to flash rom and kernels and link them here and xda. If no luck i would try completly stock and just nvflash it if sold ;)

OK, but i would keep it if I were you :)

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi aksolanski:)

Nice to see you around(i have actually seen you post on xda a couple of times) :)

If I were to sell my o2x i would not do it with cm7 or 9(not 10 either if it were released). I would sell it with a custom stock based rom as an optimised o2x with some instructions for how to flash rom and kernels and link them here and xda. If no luck i would try completly stock and just nvflash it if sold ;)

OK, but i would keep it if I were you :)

Hi SuperSkill, I flashed the phone back to stock 2.3.4. I actually had a little play with the stock ROM afterwards. It is quite snappy at the moment. Perhaps over time it becomes crappier? Hence the user hatred for the stock ROM. Tomorrow I will finish boxing up the handset and then stick it on eBay.

Today is a week since I got my Galaxy NEXUS. And so far I'm very very happy. Ultimately hardware is only as good as the software. I have Jelly Bean 4.1.1. No custom ROM's, and hacking this and patching that.

Unfortunately though I'm still visiting forums such as these. It's like god damn crack cocaine! I need to kick the habit and do some other stuff. Just as soon as I get my girlfriend's Galaxy Tab onto 4.0.1 I will quit. Promise.

Take care. Anil

Guest everett_psycho

Hi Anil, Indo remember you from the should I buy this threads, just shy of 12 months ion I can honestly say that I should have spent the extra cash and get the sgs2 or held out for the galaxy nexus like I originally planned. I'm living with my LG because Ben though we got it cheapish I really begrudge paying for another handset under 12 months after I got this one. mine is usable but its the constant losing signal and temperamental connections that drive me mad, it constantly needs rebooting or switching in to flight mode. Its not the worst performer and on that front with cm7 I'm happy, cm9 was really snappy but it was still too buggy when I tried owains or eaglesblood and I still had connection problems. My current thinking is I'm holding on to this until the next wave oof flagship phones appear, seriously tempted by whatever the next nexus is if it means I actually get timely updates. I will keep the o2x then though, with HDMI and wifi working it could make a nifty little streaming device for the bedroom or portable media server for some movies

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi Anil, Indo remember you from the should I buy this threads, just shy of 12 months ion I can honestly say that I should have spent the extra cash and get the sgs2 or held out for the galaxy nexus like I originally planned. I'm living with my LG because Ben though we got it cheapish I really begrudge paying for another handset under 12 months after I got this one. mine is usable but its the constant losing signal and temperamental connections that drive me mad, it constantly needs rebooting or switching in to flight mode. Its not the worst performer and on that front with cm7 I'm happy, cm9 was really snappy but it was still too buggy when I tried owains or eaglesblood and I still had connection problems. My current thinking is I'm holding on to this until the next wave oof flagship phones appear, seriously tempted by whatever the next nexus is if it means I actually get timely updates. I will keep the o2x then though, with HDMI and wifi working it could make a nifty little streaming device for the bedroom or portable media server for some movies

Hi everett_psycho, less than twelve months. Time sure does fly in the tech world. The O2X is great hardware. I once used it to watch a movie via HDMI, whilst at the same time providing internet via the hotspot feature to my tablet. Pretty incredible. I paid £270 11 months ago, I reckon I will get around £180 for the handset with the extra goodies such as an extended battery and a dock. So it's been great value.

I have the O2X fully stock now, and it's in mint condition. Ready for the next user. I hope they have as much fun and use out of it. As it has provided me. My final comment would be. Buy a NEXUS device next GNEX, or GNEX 2, whatever as long as it's a Google device. Hardware manufacturers try to woo you with amazing spec's, simply because they can't innovate with amazing software. And amazing software is where it's at. Make your future choices based on software, you will be so much happier spending your time doing stuff with your handset. Rather than to your handset.

Lesson learned. Have fun. Anil

Guest everett_psycho

over in the news section pauls managed to et more insider info saying this might be coming after all, great customer service lg but hopefully this might finally be happening

Guest Anil K Solanki

over in the news section pauls managed to et more insider info saying this might be coming after all, great customer service lg but hopefully this might finally be happening

Hi everett_psycho, Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich, Release Date; October 19, 2011.

I had forgotten I had a subscription to this thread, cancelled now though. My fingers are crossed that LG can make the one year deadline.

Have fun. Anil

Hi everett_psycho, Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich, Release Date; October 19, 2011.

I had forgotten I had a subscription to this thread, cancelled now though. My fingers are crossed that LG can make the one year deadline.

Have fun. Anil

Funnily enough, we have the same gear (started with the good ol' Blade, moved over to O2X and now Galaxy Nexus). I kept them all though and have a use for each and every one.

O2X is stil my favorite for music (super hardware from Wolfson) and hdmi output. I use it at home for multimedia.

Blade is my main driver (oh yeah) for corporate email and GPS (small and faaaast)

GNexus is for everything else personal (mainly social media and browsing).

Take care,

Guest Anil K Solanki

Funnily enough, we have the same gear (started with the good ol' Blade, moved over to O2X and now Galaxy Nexus). I kept them all though and have a use for each and every one.

O2X is stil my favorite for music (super hardware from Wolfson) and hdmi output. I use it at home for multimedia.

Blade is my main driver (oh yeah) for corporate email and GPS (small and faaaast)

GNexus is for everything else personal (mainly social media and browsing).

Take care,

Hi vulpy, it's nice to have a hardware choice. Unfortunately I still haven't sold my unused Transformer tablet, and the O2X. I asked my girlfriend if you she would like the O2X. And she said no without hesitation. She really does like her two Blade's, and her Galaxy tablet. Which I have to admit is very nice to use.

tech_table-6AsLtbFjUY.jpg

Have fun. Anil