ZTE announce the Grand X, priced at £189.99 prepay

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Today at the 24 Club in London, ZTE announced the Grand X, their Tegra 2 gaming device.<br />

<br />

MoDaCo guessed this last week, what we did not guess is the price. Virgin Media will be stocking the Grand X for £189.99 prepay as well as on low price contracts.<br />

<br />

A quick recap on the specs:<br />

• NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core chipset<br />
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)<br />
  • 4.3-inch qHD 16m colour (960 x 540 pixels) screen<br />
  • Audio-visual features include a 5 MP camera, a 0.3 MP front-facing camera for video calls, Dolby Sound, HD Video Capture and HD Voice.

<br />

“ZTE Grand X brings high-end mobile video and gaming within the reach of a whole new audience,” said Mr. He Shiyou, ZTE EVP and head of the Terminals Division. “It provides a world of entertainment in a single device – combining high quality and a wide range of functions for a great mobile multimedia experience.”
<br />

<br />

So, does anyone have plans for this to be their next device?<br />

<br />

Click here to view the item

Guest Sir_Didymus

512mb ram? Bit disappointing since the similar LG Optimus 2X with a better camera is selling for £195 new at Expansys.

Guest everett_psycho
512mb ram? Bit disappointing since the similar LG Optimus 2X with a better camera is selling for £195 new at Expansys.

But you have to put up with LG and their uselessness at updating their handsets, 1gb of ram would have made a big difference I think even for a little extra cash

Guest fahim.yaqoob

the screen resolution is better. I calculated it to have :

256 (pixel density) compared to 233

Guest Davidoff59

Been waiting all year for this and expected 1gig RAM. All the hype by Zte so what's their hype gonna be like for the Zte Era.

Guest fahim.yaqoob

Been waiting all year for this and expected 1gig RAM. All the hype by Zte so what's their hype gonna be like for the Zte Era.

yeah im still hoping the zte era comes out. it is similar size, but far superior

Guest Sere83

Yeah the Era looks super nice, not sure what the price will be like though if it eventually emerges, hopefully ZTE will spread the vanilla ICS love to the Era too. Not sure about this to be honest, suppose it isn't a bad price but it's not super low either, baring in mind how old tegra2 is. I rekon they could have squeezed 1GB ram in there and made it a more enticing prospect. Still decent though

Guest billybiro

I must admit that I, too, am slightly disappointed by the ZTE Grand X specs vs price. GSMArena had this handset listed with an 8MP rear camera (back when it was still know as the ZTE Mimosa), however, we now see the camera is only 5MP, also the small RAM size isn't brilliant.

If this phone had either just slightly better specs for the current £190 price, or these same specs. but with a price-tag of £150 or lower, I'd jump at it and get one straight away. As it stands, though, I feel a little underwhelmed.

After such a phenomenal start with their ZTE Blade/Orange San Fran device, let's see how much disappointment ZTE can muster when they (finallly) release the ZTE Era.

Guest TouchyAndalou

I'm also waiting for the ZTE Era, and hopefully it'll be released in the UK with the same specs that have already been advertised.

Guest kaizoku_san

had a go on this phone at a shopping centre yesterday, and have to say its really smooth. doesnt feel like a 512mb ram device

it will be sold on virgin only but i didnt see any bloatware on the device. (i asked the pretty girls in the stand if the device comes, without any of virgin's bloatware, but they had no idea and only pointed to the info on the box and said "it does what it says on these boxes" :-D)

i only had time to check out the camera on the device, and noticed some functions missing, (which were in the galaxy nexus) - fast shutter time and funny faces.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

Cool just spotted the device online on the virginmobile site under payG and it's going for £199.99. Guessing that includes the top-up :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.