"Insufficient storage available". How to increase memory?

Guest Maximus9

Guest Maximus9

I am on B888 and already got the message... didn't expect it so soon.

B888 has no Voda crap, also I do not keep apps unless need them.

Airdroid reports Internal storage (80MB available) 676MB used out of 756MB, 164 apps, 1800 Messages (only text, no MMS), and 231 Contacts.

Titanium Backup reports:

-system ROM: 309MB (47.7 MB free)

-Internal: 792 MB (83.9 MB free)

-largest app is Opera with 27MB

Titanium also says can't finish the backup and reports not enough space although the backup folder is /mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup and there is plenty of free space on sdcard (5GB free)

Dont know what Dalvik cache is, and if that would help if cleared.

TotalCommander properties on a few folders reports the following occupied space:

/cache 73k

/cust 2.2MB

/data 3.6GB (seems too large to be true)

/proc 2.7 MB

/sys 37.8 MB

/system 242.8 MB

What is the best app to move apps to SD ? Thanks!

Guest Andymac1969

I have always used link2sd, no reason why, it just seems to work without a problem, and I have quite a few apps installed and loads of space available

Andrew

post-407498-0-14942000-1342793828_thumb.

Guest Maximus9

I have always used link2sd, no reason why, it just seems to work without a problem, and I have quite a few apps installed and loads of space available

Andrew

Thanks, I'll give it a try, seems link2sd needs special preparing and is quite advanced:

"What you need:

- root permission.

- a second partition on your SD card.

You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.

The first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage. The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.

Some phones lack the ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system support and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones need ext2.ko or ext3.ko modules and even some additional modules to be able to mount. Using FAT32 on the second partition will eleminate such problems, because FAT32 is supported on all phones.

Link2SD does not create the second partition, you need to create it yourself. You can use any partition manager such as Minitool, Paragon, Easeus etc. for this."

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Andymac1969

I have two partitions on my SD card, one in FAT32 format, and the second as EXT3, phone needs to be rooted, then in link2sd settings, just select autolink and your done ;)

Guest Maximus9

I have two partitions on my SD card, one in FAT32 format, and the second as EXT3, phone needs to be rooted, then in link2sd settings, just select autolink and your done ;)

Looking at your pic, noticed 2 things:

1.SD Card 2nd Part is /data/sdext2, maybe is EXT2 andnot EXT3?

2.Your System is just 8% free out of 372MB ?? My G300 reports 15% free out of 295MB ? I suspect either you posted a pic from a different device or is because you use ICS?

Guest Mtman1

Nope, all the second partitions are mounted as as /data/sdext2, even even if your second partition is fat32

Edited by Mtman1

Guest Andymac1969

Looking at your pic, noticed 2 things:

2.Your System is just 8% free out of 372MB ?? My G300 reports 15% free out of 295MB ? I suspect either you posted a pic from a different device or is because you use ICS?

My device and it is running B927 ICS, and it's running it very well

Guest Maximus9

Then the reason for the difference between the 2 figures must be the ICS. Your system is 372 and mine is 295 MB.

I will try creating the partitions manually and see the results after link2sd done it's magic.

Out of curiosity, what does Titanium Backup reports under System ROM for you?

Edited by Maximus9

Guest cjcandrei

I've binded /HWUserData to /data/sdext2 and used link2sd to move the apks. This way you can use that internal storage... Works pretty well.

Guest tillaz

I am on B888 and already got the message... didn't expect it so soon.

B888 has no Voda crap, also I do not keep apps unless need them.

Airdroid reports Internal storage (80MB available) 676MB used out of 756MB, 164 apps, 1800 Messages (only text, no MMS), and 231 Contacts.

Titanium Backup reports:

-system ROM: 309MB (47.7 MB free)

-Internal: 792 MB (83.9 MB free)

-largest app is Opera with 27MB

Titanium also says can't finish the backup and reports not enough space although the backup folder is /mnt/sdcard/TitaniumBackup and there is plenty of free space on sdcard (5GB free)

Dont know what Dalvik cache is, and if that would help if cleared.

TotalCommander properties on a few folders reports the following occupied space:

/cache 73k

/cust 2.2MB

/data 3.6GB (seems too large to be true)

/proc 2.7 MB

/sys 37.8 MB

/system 242.8 MB

What is the best app to move apps to SD ? Thanks!

might sound silly but do you not move your app's to the sdcard ?

by going to settings > app

selecting your app then pressing the move to sdcard button ?

Guest Maximus9

Is there a way to add an app manually in SuperSU? It doesn't ask me for root access... tried uninstalling and re, but nothing.

Link2sd app is very advanced, but it is fighting me, I get an error saying it cannot get root access.

Tillaz, I relied on the Auto setting, and it did put a lot of apps on sdcard by default.

Link2SD can be used to freeze/ unfreeze apps. Also to do a backup between ROM changes:

Q. I upgraded/changed my ROM and I can not see my linked apps, their files are on the 2nd partition but the system can not see the apps. How can I make them available, do I need to reinstall and relink them again?

No, if you didn't wipe data when updating ROM the only thing you need to do is to run "Recreate mount scripts" from "menu -> more" within Link2SD and do a normal (not quick) reboot.

If you wiped data, after executing "Recreate mount scripts" and rebooting, run "Relink all application files" from "menu -> more" and then reboot. All of your linked apps should be available again after reboot.

If you also wiped dalvik-cache, in addition to the above step run "Link dalvik-cache files".

Also, for all those using Link2SD, these 2 points are also worth noting:

Q. Library files that I linked get unlinked after restarting my phone, why?

On Android 2.3 and 2.2, the links to the lib files are being lost after rebooting because the PackageManager service unpacks all native libraries from the apk files at boot time.

You can use "relink lib files at boot option" as workaround.

Link2SD does not link application's private data files that are located in /data/data directory, they remain in the internal storage. Thus each app you install will still have some data on the internal storage so you can still potentially fill up your internal storage even if you are moving all of your apps over.

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Maximus9

Wish I knew about your guide before... I had lots of trouble getting link2sd to work.

But it certanly makes a difference now that I did:

post-621734-0-38200900-1342866245_thumb.

Guest Hogweed

I've binded /HWUserData to /data/sdext2 and used link2sd to move the apks. This way you can use that internal storage... Works pretty well.

How exactly did you do that? I've just tried and it seemed to work but after I rebooted it forgot about the test apps I'd moved across even though they were still there. Maybe I've missed something.

EDIT: Looks like links2sd never creates a startup script because it doesn't find the second partition. Could someone please post a copy if the links2sd script that runs at boot so I can manually create a modified version..

Edited by Hogweed

Guest cjcandrei

I did not launch link2sd to let it create the start up script. I just created the sdext2 directory in /data and then created a script in init.d that says: mount -t vfat -o bind,rw /HWDataUser /data/sdext2. Reboot the phone and then you can launch link2sd. All linked apps will go to the internal sd card...

Guest Hogweed

I was running my bind mount script from ROM Toolbox script manager with run at boot option. All I used was mount -o bind /HWUserData /data/sdext2 which I think should be good enough. Certainly it worked fine until the reboot. Maybe ROM Toolbox runs the script too late. I'll try it in init.d later.

I thought i might have been to do with not relinking lib files in the script but if you don't need that then that can't be it. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest cjcandrei

I'm linking only the applications. On the vfat partitions the permissions will not be preserved I think...

The important step is to not let the link2sd to create its own scripts, you must erase them otherwise... It creates them in three locations...

Edited by cjcandrei

Guest Hogweed

Ok simply putting the bind script in init.d seems to have done the trick and my moved apps now survive reboot. I can't find any scripts crested by link2sd itself. Where does it normally create them and what are they called?

If I try to recreate the boot scripts I get an error "second partition not found" - which is correct as I don't have one. However everything does seem to be working.

20120722152708.png

Edited by Hogweed

Guest cjcandrei

No need to recreate the scripts as you already created your own. I found out that link2sd creates three mount scripts: install-recovery.sh in /etc, debugd in /system/bin and another one in init.d. If you have your own script in init.d you don't need any of those...

Guest Maximus9

What are you guys trying to do? I let link2sd use it's own scripts, are you saying that's not a good idea or are you trying to achieve something particular?

Guest cjcandrei

I'm simply trying to point out that yoy can use link2sd in a particular way just to redirect the linked apps to the internal 2Gb partition. In this way you can save memory on the data partition...

Anyway, did you any of you guys encounter random reboots on the Atomicmod if you use it? I've installed this rom on two phones and both of them have this issue. One random reboot in two-three days...

Edited by cjcandrei

Guest Hogweed

What we are doing is using the internal 2GB logical "SD" as the partition for link2sd instead of a second partition on the external SD card. So now I have an extra 2GB of space to install apps. They will be backed up by CWM and I can format or change the real physical SD card without losing the moved apps.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Hogweed

Anyway, did you any of you guys encounter random reboots on the Atomicmod if you use it? I've installed this rom on two phones and both of them have this issue. One random reboot in two-three days...

I'm running Paul's Gr2 ROM so I can't comment on Atomicmod. Never had a random reboot since I installed it (touch wood!) . I did have one random reboot while on stock B885 IIRC. I also restored my stock B885 and updated to B892 then restored my Gr2 backup so I could get the low level firmware fixes. I no longer have the slight screen misalignment I used to have.

Edited by Hogweed