[Q] Has anyone had any reception problems?

Guest Doogie Howser

Guest Doogie Howser

I bought an SD last week to replace my SF and it's everything and more I expected with one exception, the phone reception is dreadful. I've been with Orange for at least 10 years and know exactly what sort of reception to expect in certain places. The reception in my house has never been amazing but I've always had a reliable 2 bars in my living room and had never lost signal completely. The SD is constantly varying from no signal to 2 or even 3 bars. I've tried 2 sims in it, the PAYG one that came with it and a new one for my existing contract so I'm pretty certain it isn't that. It's a similary scenario in my office at work.

None of the reviews I've read suggest a problem so I'm curious to know whether anyone else has had problems? I'm hoping it's just a dodgy phone as it's otherwise superb and I don't want to have to get something else.

Cheers,

Stu.

Guest rickywyatt

I have the same with mine it happens both with orange sim and t-mobile some times the (H) will drop out so I can't even make or get calls

Possibly a network issue, i put my orange sim in my g300 and skate, and the signal is crap, and 3g constantly dropping.

Edited by Guest

Guest Doogie Howser

Definitely not the Sim. Reception on my wife's HTC One S is far better and far more stable. Will be speaking to Orange about a replacement.

Guest Frankish

Not had problems with reception on T-Orange however suffering from T Mobiles fair usage policy...need to unlock this badboy I think. Give me three...

Guest danmanbad

Not had problems with reception on T-Orange however suffering from T Mobiles fair usage policy...need to unlock this badboy I think. Give me three...

try the full monty its got no fair usage polocy as for as i can tell

Guest Doogie Howser

So Orange sent me another one on Monday. The signal is just as bad, regularly dropping to nothing in my living room and places where I normally have no problems. And to make matters worse the GPS reception on this one is terrible! Tried it with various settings and GPS status app and it can't record a continuous track for more than a mile. I shall be requesting a refund today. Shame as I really like this phone otherwise and I don't know what to get to replace the OSF which is just too slow?

Stu.

Guest rickywyatt

Lol i got a new replacement for my bricked on to get away with it I open up the phone and removed the lcd ribbon got some double sided tape as stuck it back together pmsl

Guest Doogie Howser

Hmmm, reception seems to have been much better since II've been waiting for the returns bag from Orange. The GPS performance is still disappointing. I get perfect tracking using my tracks with the San Francisco but thisis nowhere near as good. Can't decide what to do now as I really like the phone.

• 1 month later...

My SD had full signal in the top notification bar but on the orange widget that shows wifi, battery and signal it had none.

3G was on notification bar and was green to show connected but I was not able to send a txt, recieve a call of open a broswer yet my girlfriends Samsung Galaxy SIII on same network could.

I went to orange today as yesturday almost no signal all day :(

They said there is no problem with the SD and that if it continues I should factory reset the phone and if it still continues then I should go back for replacement.

Thing is this issues is intermittent for me and has only happened twice since my contract started about 6 mounths ago.

Guess have to put up with it for another 18 months then get new phone.

Guest Gibson.1

My OSD changes to 3G when I'm not using internet, but swaps to H when I do, sometimes it sticks for a minute though and I cant access the internet. I thought 3G was voice and internet capability? It doesn't really affect me its just something I notice occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alan8376

Hi,

I've got an OSD as well. Recently travelled to Oxford and Heathrow, where no signal was received in hotels despite being listed as Good areas. The signal regularly disappears or 'No Service' many times a day at home in King's Lynn. Orange sent a new SIM to use. That did not improve things! I then received a replacement phone, which did not work any better.

I went to Orange Shop in Kings Lynn to ask for a replacement or refund. Manager refused, as 4 signal bars were showing on the phone, (they would wouldn't they!). No problem in the shop with reception! He also waffled on about recent new Orange rules about refunds etc???

My phone is a PAYG. When I have used up my credit, I will do a PAC and seek another phone company. By the way! My wife's phone at home and when she travels with me has no probs at all with O2.

Do you think Orange will, out of good will unlock the phone, cost free, as it is Orange reception which is naff?

Alan

Edited by alan8376

• 9 months later...
Guest Northstandhero

I bought an SD last week to replace my SF and it's everything and more I expected with one exception, the phone reception is dreadful. I've been with Orange for at least 10 years and know exactly what sort of reception to expect in certain places. The reception in my house has never been amazing but I've always had a reliable 2 bars in my living room and had never lost signal completely. The SD is constantly varying from no signal to 2 or even 3 bars. I've tried 2 sims in it, the PAYG one that came with it and a new one for my existing contract so I'm pretty certain it isn't that. It's a similary scenario in my office at work.

None of the reviews I've read suggest a problem so I'm curious to know whether anyone else has had problems? I'm hoping it's just a dodgy phone as it's otherwise superb and I don't want to have to get something else.

Cheers,

Stu.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wondered whereabouts in Rossendale are you?, I'm thinking of jumping to Orange as the O2 3G reception i get in Baxenden is shocking, It's fine in Newchurch where I live but I'm on WI-FI at home so that's not an issue, but at work in Baxenden it's shocking non existent most of the time, I tried a Three sim but got no reception at all 2G or 3G at home so that's a no-no, I've checked the Orange coverage map and that say's i should be ok for home and work, but so did the Three, so was just wondering how you find Orange in Rossendale.

Cheers

Guest BlueMoonRising

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wondered whereabouts in Rossendale are you?, I'm thinking of jumping to Orange as the O2 3G reception i get in Baxenden is shocking, It's fine in Newchurch where I live but I'm on WI-FI at home so that's not an issue, but at work in Baxenden it's shocking non existent most of the time, I tried a Three sim but got no reception at all 2G or 3G at home so that's a no-no, I've checked the Orange coverage map and that say's i should be ok for home and work, but so did the Three, so was just wondering how you find Orange in Rossendale.

Cheers

Can you not just obtain an Orange sim and try it without actually putting any credit on it? http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/freesim/details