Is clockworkmode essential?

Guest djangocor068

Guest djangocor068

Hi, I'm a totally newbie.

I've just bought a Ascend G300 and have rooted it. After I've installed Titanium Backup to remove all vodafone stuff and was wondering if I need to install the clockworkmode as well or Titanium is sufficient for making backups and remove unwanted stuff?

Many thanks

Al

Guest runlevel5

clockwork is a must have IMO.backup and restore of complete ROMs is essential and can be a lifesaver as you start to experiment. I cannot think of a reason not to have it.also,people release custom ROMs that you flash from clockwork.

all the best.

Guest pelago

One thing against CWM is the fact that if you plug a powered-off G300 into a charger, it will boot into CWM. As I understand it, this is a limitation or a bug in the G300 itself, not in CWM. This puts me off putting CWM on my wife's G300. If you only ever charge while the device is powered-on, this isn't a problem.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether the device is actually charging or not when this happens?

Guest djangocor068

Thank you for both replies. To be honest I wanted to avoid the problem described by Pelago. Is Titanium Backup sufficient to do a full backup in case I won't install CW? Basically I've installed it just to remove the demos and vodafone stuff but I've seen that can perform a backup as well (free version).

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

Thank you for both replies. To be honest I wanted to avoid the problem described by Pelago. Is Titanium Backup sufficient to do a full backup in case I won't install CW? Basically I've installed it just to remove the demos and vodafone stuff but I've seen that can perform a backup as well (free version).

In order to remove unwanted applications you do not need to have Clockworkmod installed. For a full backup is recommended to use CWM, Titanium Backup is good for backing up user data - applications, freezing them at specific version, personal data, ... - it runs on the top of the Android, so if you'll make an unusable system because of specific changes made in system, you can't revert it by Titanium Backup, because the Android won't be running at all. The opposite of Titanium backup is CWM, which is backing up whole partitions and does not run on the top of the Android - the same case as some backup utility which boots from dvd/usb and does not need original system to be run.

Guest pelago

There's a stock recovery system by Huawei, though, isn't there? As long as your user data is backed up, couldn't you use the stock recovery to get the system back up and running?

Guest Liesse

I've just bought this phone (waiting for it to arrive) and I've also been wondering about whether you can keep that charging animation. I often charge my phone when it is off. I'm wondering whether I can get the update that should be waiting via the phone menu, just root it and leave it until a must-have rom comes along.

Guest Davidoff59

The phone will charge when switched off and plugged in when it boots into cwm. It was a worry of mine for ages but using another recovery posted by Sebastian404 shows the battery percentage which rises while plugged in.

Guest Liesse

Thank you David!

It seems a daft thing to worry about I know, but it almost feels as if installing clockwork means you lose a feature from your phone. Even if the feature is just an animation and a battery percentage.

Is the one you mean,the version here ?

To Do List: Get phone, unlock, root it, check for any official updates and install, follow fastboot instructions from link above to get CWM & I at least retain charge percentage, look for nice custom rom. Did I miss anything? :D

Guest Davidoff59

That's the one liesse.

Note that anything you do to the phone, before flashing an official update. app will delete your root etc. So if you are going to look for an official update and install it, do so before rooting and installing cwm or else you will have to do it again.

Installing a custom Rom through cwm shouldn't affect either root or cwm recovery.

Guest Davidoff59

With cwm recovery installed, when the phone is off and plugged in, it will automatically boot into cwm. recovery. It does charge but the screen stays on. Sorry for any confusion.

Guest Davidoff59

if your just going to stick with an official update, I wouldnt bother with a custom recovery until you find a custom Rom.

Guest luvvt

awe dont be afraid, install cwm it will open up a tonne more options for your phone. If your not sure about what your doing read and read again. Install new and the latest roms, remove unwanted apps with out fear, play tinker change and crash your phone but one thing for sure you wont be bored ;D

Seriously installing cwm has more advantages than losing the ability to charge your ph whilst unplugged or loosing the battery charging status.

If you have any problems post and someone will point you in the right direction.

Take the plunge many can confirm you wont regret it

Guest Lgdslr

Titanium Backup - copies all user data. Can only be restored on top of an existing Android install. Can be useful for migrating all your data and apps from one ROM to another. Sometimes restores are a little funny, especially if restoring onto a different ROM that you backed up on.

CWM (Nandroid backup) - backs up EVERYTHING on the phone, including the Android install. If something happens, you can use it to restore the phone to exactly as it is at the time of back up.

If you're not going to be fiddling with your phone and aren't going to be changing ROMs, Titanium Backup is fine.

Guest pelago

With cwm recovery installed, when the phone is off and plugged in, it will automatically boot into cwm. recovery. It does charge but the screen stays on.

I realise it's probably not high up the CWM dev's to-do list, but it would be great if CWM could handle this situation a little better. E.g. if booted up with the charger inserted it would show a charging graphic, with some small text at the bottom saying to press a certain button to get into the recovery menu. After 30 seconds or so the screen would turn off but it would continue charging. Such a change would make CWM nice and noob friendly, I think.

Guest Sebastian404

The device will charge while in Clockwork mod recovery... is having the animation REALLY a priority tho?

It is EASY to add in, but since it required a bunch of Library from /system it would only work if you had a valid Gingerbread ROM

I might be possible to get around that limitation, but I never really bothered since no-one had a problem with it.

Guest pelago

The device will charge while in Clockwork mod recovery... is having the animation REALLY a priority tho?

It is EASY to add in, but since it required a bunch of Library from /system it would only work if you had a valid Gingerbread ROM

I might be possible to get around that limitation, but I never really bothered since no-one had a problem with it.

A text mode "animation" would be good, if that's possible to do without having to rely on external libraries.