Is anyone using a stylus with their Android tablet? Which to go for?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm interested to hear if anyone is using a stylus with their Android tablet (particularly the Nexus 7), primarily for occasional freehand drawing.

I've been doing a bit of research... the occasional use aspect limits the amount i'm willing to spend, so i'm looking for good price v performance.

Top options thus far seem to be...

• Kensington Virtuoso Touch Screen Stylus and Pen @ £11.84 - Amazon link
  • elago Stylus Ball @ £14.99 - Amazon link

These are both the real-pen-equipped versions, I figured since you're carrying it around, you may as well improve the utility since it doesn't add a lot to the cost.

Thoughts / feedback / input welcome! :)

P

Guest my_big_feet

Rubber stylii? Don't do it! They're horrible! I strongly recommend getting a micro-fibre one.

This is the el-cheapo one I bought, and it's many many times better than any rubber stylus I've ever used. Deceptively good for the price:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o03_s00_i00

Edited by my_big_feet

Guest ChazW123

I have an Adonit Jot Pro (http://adonit.net/product/jot-pro/) which I got about 4 or 5 months ago to use with my (at the time) ASUS Transformer Prime, for note taking & drawing. At that time it seemed to be the best of the best (according to the numerous reviews I read and viewed online) and I definitely give them a thumbs up as they work great.

I'd go for the normal one, not Pro (only difference is the Pro is magnetized!), which will save you about £5. I got my Pro one from eBay for about £25, think you can get teh standard Adonit Jot's for about £15 :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Rubber stylii? Don't do it! They're horrible! I strongly recommend getting a micro-fibre one.

This is the el-cheapo one I bought, and it's many many times better than any rubber stylus I've ever used. Deceptively good for the price:

Hmm, I used a fibre one and didn't like it!

P

Guest Spooke

Has anyone used the Wacom Bamboo Stylus with it?

Wacom-Bamboo-Stylus-03-355x285.jpg

I guess it's similar to most of the cheap ones but I've heard good things about this one and I'd expect it to be a decent feeling stylus for £20-25!

Btw has anyone used the app 'Markers' with a stylus? it has the 'pressure' sensitive touch which is taken from how much area of the finger is on the screen. It works perfect with just a finger but I wanted a stylus to actually be able to sketch/draw with it.

Guest ClarkieBoy

Hmm, I used a fibre one and didn't like it!

P

I've been using both at different times, and they both work under different circumstances. I tend to prefer the micro-fibre type, because it's less 'sticky' with my screen protector - but the rubber ones seem to be more 'sensitive' on the screen. So, for handwriting recognition when taking notes (on iPad with screen saver) I use micro-fibre because of the speed of writing. For general use when browsing or playing games (if I'm not using my finger to touch the screen) then I prefer rubber - selecting hyperlinks etc seems to be that bit more responsive.

None of this is scientific, so YMMV - just my subjective preferences.

Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

I have been looking for styli too to accompany my nexus 7 more especially for class note taking. Does anyone know any good accompanying app i.e. handwriting app that works like supernote as well?

Guest ChazW123

I have been looking for styli too to accompany my nexus 7 more especially for class note taking. Does anyone know any good accompanying app i.e. handwriting app that works like supernote as well?

I'm using this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steadfastinnovation.android.projectpapyrus&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5zdGVhZGZhc3Rpbm5vdmF0aW9uLmFuZHJvaWQucHJvamVjdHBhcHlydXMiXQ..

Dead easy to use, loads of features and can even export as pdf and email/save to Google Drive/Dropbox, etc.

+ it's a free app :)

I'm using this: https://play.google....HBhcHlydXMiXQ..

Dead easy to use, loads of features and can even export as pdf and email/save to Google Drive/Dropbox, etc.

+ it's a free app :)

Yay Thank you so much!! Would officially love you if you told me what stylus you use? :P

Also do the written notes auto align and resize the words unless a gesture is made to start a new paragraph? I can't exactly stand making huge notes

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

Here's a link to an app that I think is worth considering. Was last updated today and has only had 9 users. Unfortunately I don't have the space on my phone for it.

https://play.google....S5nb29nbGUiXQ..

What do you lot think?

Edit:

Purchased it and it works great! With the minor exception of lacking sharing options, I think it's the best handwriting app out there. There's a lot of customisation options and the learning curve is not too high. Students out there, check it out :D

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

Guest trishmac

I got that one.much prefer it to the rubber :-) x

Edited by trishmac

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shuflie

I've gone completely overboard and ordered a Jot touch pressure sensitive stylus for my iPad. I have a few of the supported apps for it on the iPad and hope to have a few for my Nexus 7 when they get around to releasing the Android SDK. Its a lot of money just for a stylus but I hope its worth it in the end.

Guest trishmac

^^ ouch! just looked at the price of that! i bet it's dead accurate tho..or should be! ;) x

actually, that was the bluetooth version..phew! lol :blush:

Edited by trishmac

Guest Shuflie

^^ ouch! just looked at the price of that! i bet it's dead accurate tho..or should be! ;) x

actually, that was the bluetooth version..phew! lol :blush:

I did say I'd gone a overboard, its the bluetooth version I've bought :wacko:. I was thinking of getting one of the cheaper versions without the pressure sensitivity, but I know that a few weeks/months down the line I'd be wishing I gone for the more expensive option; so I figured I'd save £20 or £30 and just buy it now.

Guest trishmac

I did say I'd gone a overboard, its the bluetooth version I've bought :wacko:. I was thinking of getting one of the cheaper versions without the pressure sensitivity, but I know that a few weeks/months down the line I'd be wishing I gone for the more expensive option; so I figured I'd save £20 or £30 and just buy it now.

Actually that makes a lot of sense to me. ^_^ .I've had to do the 'double purchase' on more than one occasion.. :unsure: I've since given in to the inner geekness :D

Hope it's awesome.. ;) x

• 5 weeks later...

The bamboo ones in PC World/Curry's etc, are crap apparently (as well as far to expensive), the tips disintegrate!

The iwantit ones are ok, but the proporta ones are also pretty bad.

(This comes from a few iPad users I know, so it *might* be a specific to them, but doubt it)

Got the Jot touch last week, bluetooth pressure sensitivity is ok on the ipad, but not as good as an active digitiser pen on windows. The stylus itself is very good, and very accurate. For android I recommend getting one of the cheaper Jots like the mini, cheaper than the bamboo and if they are anything like the touch you won't be disappointed.

• 1 year later...
Guest sSword

Sorry to bump this really old post, but I have an old Nexus 2012 and would like a fine point stylus, the generic cheapo ones are not so good.

Did you ever find one you liked Paul?