Has anyone gotten a headset with MIC to work with a Nexus 7?

Guest Ian1

I've been trying to get my N7 to use the microphone in my G/Nex headset rather than the onboard MIC without any joy.

Has anybody else managed to get a remote MIC to work or is it locked down in the code?

Guest garysk

It is most annoying. It's as if the 3.5mm stereo/mic plug doesn't plug into the jack on the nexus7 all the way; there's no click as it slides into place and there seems to be no detente in the jack engaging with the plug.

When the headset is plugged into the tablet, the sound continues to be emitted by the tablet's speakers, and the headphones continue to be dead silent.

I tried the headset which I had purchased specifically to use with he nexus 7 on my nexus 2 phone and they worked perfectly. I then took the ear buds that came with the phone and tried them on the phone first, where they worked fine, but when I tried the buds on the tablet, I got the same result as the headset on the tablet... Nada.

And the Asus site specifies that the jack is supposed to support stereo with mic. I wrote an Asus support ticket but have had no response, other than their robo-confirmation they got the ticket.

Can someone with their fingers on Asus/Google's pulse find an answer for us? This problem severely limits the places where I can use the tablet, severely compromising my satisfaction with the product!

Guest Pondlife

Seriously compromising your satisfaction with the product? Blimey.

Oh well get used to it or send it back, definitely only has stereo and no mic, thread on the subject on xda and they asked a site that disassembled one and definitely has not got the necessary connection.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alan Ferrier

I'm getting the opposite behaviour with my Jawbone Icon Bluetooth headset - the mic. appears to be working fine, but audio output still comes from the Nexus speaker.

I'm trying to use the N7 with Skype, and although there is a checkbox available during a Skype call wich allows you to select between Speaker and Headset audio output, it appears to have no effect.

Also tried BT Mono from Play Store which is supposed to allow control of audio, but with no success there either.