[MOD][TOOL] DUAL BOOT FOR ZTE BLADE/MODIFY-BOOT TOOL [14/08]

Guest android@sam

Guest android@sam

Hello guys. This my dual booting project for our amazing ZTE BLADE!

What is this?>This mod works on the basis of two scripts which are to be executed in the terminal emulator or script manager and a modified boot.img to boot the rom from sdcard instead of NAND.

FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY!!!

I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKED DEVICES, DAMAGED SDCARDS ETC.DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

It is in alpha stage, so lot of work is still needed to make it more safer and convenient.

Downloads:

cyanogenmod9(KonstKang)

boot.img- download

updater-script- download

cyanogenmod10

boot.img- download

updater-script- download

Gapps(thanks to tilal6991)(flash cfx2 gapps from skate)

Jellybean gapps updater scipt- Download

Tool:

Modify-boot- Download

-Now don't wait for me to modify the boot.img for a particular rom!!Use this tool for modify it for dual booting.Soon will add patcher for updater script!!Scroll down to second post for guide to use this tool:Thanks go to:

• Sulthekk for guiding me towards right way.

• SNAP.iT for giving me some mounting ideas.
    • All the people who have helped me(can't remember all names :P ).
    • And the big modaco community to test it for me.

SCROLL DOWN to 2nd POST FOR THE WHOLE GUIDE...

Edited by android@sam

Guest android@sam

So here is the full guide: PARTITIONING SD CARD TO MOUNT /SYSTEM AND /DATA

• Take the backup of your sd card data first
  • Make sure you have partitioned your sdcard before.
  • Connect your phone to your computer and mount usb storage.
  • Download the EASEUS partition manager from here.
  • Open partition manager and delete all partitions of your sdcard.
  • Right click on the 'unallocated' and click create partition.Don't label it select partition type as primary and filesystem as FAT32 and enter the partition size bot remember this will hold your photos,media etc,you should leave about 600 mb space free click OK.
  • right click again and create partition as primary and filesystem as EXT3 and size of 250 mb click OK.
  • Repeat above step again.
  • Apply all the changes by cliking on apply tap and you have succesfully partitioned your sdcard for dual booting.

GUIDE FOR THE MODIFY-BOOT TOOL
    • Download and unzip the tool to any directory.Here i will consider for the cygwin users, say c:\modify-boot.
    • Now,open the terminal or cygwin bash shell(for windows users) and mount the directory by typing:

​ cd c:\modify-boot and press enter.
      • Before doing anything further,put the boot.img you want to mod in the WORKING_313.
      • now execute the script by typing:

./modify-boot.txt

• Now follow the tips in the tool!!! :P
        • No need to copy anything.The tool will itself do the work.

​ MODDING THE CM9 ROM FOR DUAL BOOTING

[*]Open the rom.zip .

[*]Get the modded boot.img from the tool and rename the .img file to boot.img.

[*]Delete the boot.img from the rom and put the downloaded one.

[*]Now download the attached updater-script (remove .txt) or from 1st post and replace the orignal one with this modded one(path to udater-script META-INF/com/google/android).

[*]Zip up the rom.

FLASHING GUIDE

[*]Remember, before partitioning the sd card you should wipe data and cache in the recovery during NAND rom installation or it will erase the partitions created before.

[*]First flash the rom you want to install in the NAND,do not wipe data or anything do it before partitioning.

[*]Then install the cm9 rom without wiping data or anything.

[*]reboot the system. You will be in your sd card rom!!!

[*]Now create folder in the sd card as /sdcard/multiboot.

[*]Take both boot.img from NAND rom and cm9/cm10 rom rename the cm9/cm10 boot.img to bootsd.img and keep the NAND boot.img as it is.

[*]Copy both imgs to multiboot folder.

[*]Now download attached(or use above link for unregistered users) bootnand.sh and bootsd.sh and place at the root of the sdcard.

[*]Open terminal emulator,type su and execute bootsd.sh to boot into sd card rom or execute bootnand.sh to boot into NAND rom.

​ THAT'S IT . ENJOY DUAL BOOT ON YOUR ZTE BLADE!!!!updater-script.txtscipts.zip

Edited by android@sam

Guest gunapriyan

Dear Friend, Thanks for your Great Work...But little hesitation to implement it.....I want to install CM9 and CM10 ROMS. Please create modded boot.img for CM9 and CM10 ROMS....Thanks in advance.

Guest pengeren

Tested on class4 32Gb sd card and it works great. :) Thank you. And what about s2e with this mod, can i just create another ext3 partition ?

Edited by pengeren

Guest Mtman1

Wow!!! Amazing! Do you think you could tell us what you modified in the boot.img to get it to work?, or is there to much to tell?

Edited by Mtman1

Guest tilal6991

Very simple. He changed the mount commands to mount the /system partiton on the sdcard rather than on the nand. It's a change of 5 lines in init.rc.

Guest Mtman1
Very simple. He changed the mount commands to mount the /system partiton on the sdcard rather than on the nand. It's a change of 5 lines in init.rc.

Guest Sulthekk

I will try it soon!

can you link me to the booting ubuntu for our blade?

I don't think there is a boot.img for that, it may be used via chroot though. Good luck on that! :)

EDIT:

Since you always replace the same values (ie. yaffs2 to ext4, a specific nand partition to a specific sd partition) what about creating a patcher, that way you wouldn't need to create a separate boot.img for every single rom.

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest razzmataz1478

I don't think there is a boot.img for that, it may be used via chroot though. Good luck on that! :)

EDIT:

Since you always replace the same values (ie. yaffs2 to ext4, a specific nand partition to a specific sd partition) what about creating a patcher, that way you wouldn't need to create a separate boot.img for every single rom.

You mean like an sh script that will unyaffs, change values, thencreate the ext img?

Edit: ignore me

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest android@sam

EDIT:

Working on the same project currently/