Autoremote brings cloud messaging to Tasker

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Regular readers will know that i'm a bit of a Tasker fan (read: addict) and although there's a wealth of great plugins out there (and now Notify My Android support), what i've really longed for is cloud messaging integration. Hallelujah, it's here, in the form of Autoremote!

Available in a free 'Lite' version (where messages are limited to 2 characters) or a positively bargainalicious 79p full version, Autoremote lets you send messages from the web to your device using cloud messaging (push).

These messages can contain keywords, variables and are infinitely flexible - as with Tasker on the whole, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. :)

Some uses i've considered adding already...

• I currently have some scripts that poll for changed data on a server before running a Tasker task - instead I can now get the server to push
  • Create a task where I can send a command via a browser and the phone returns it's location (if it's lost)
  • Create a task where I can send a command via a browser and the phone turns itself off silent (if it's in the house on silent and I can't find it!)
  • Create a task that allows me to send SMS from my phone via the browser
  • When a new video is on my NAS get my phone to download it next time it's on WiFi
  • Remote controlled fart machine (OK, not really, but it's possible...)

Much like Tasker the AutoRemote UI is a little unintuitive and won't be for everyone, but I love it already. The 2 character limit in the Lite version alone will allow for a lot of possibilities, but i've bought the full version to support the app. :)

To get started, grab Autoremote or Autoremote Lite from the Play Store, a simple walkthrough is available here.

If you're a Tasker fan too, let us know how you use Autoremote! :)

Click here to view the item

Guest 3shirts

I got the lite version and within 15 minutes bought the full on. It's awesome. Can I ask though, have you worked out if you can send an SMS using the contact name rather than the number?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.