[GUIDE] Upgrade and Downgrade the G300 between GB, ICS and JB with downloads.

Guest timethrow

Guest ayureah

Hello! I have a question since I'm not so good on this things. If I update my Ascend G300, after I unlocked the network with a code (buyed from ebay), from GB to ICS it will remain network unlocked or I will need a new code for it?

Guest saurabhkolhekar

Hi,

thanks for this well written guide .

I just have few queries

1. Section 1 - To do OTA update from GB to ICS, do we need to have handset rooted (using section 0)?

2. Can I upgrade OTA method (section 1) and then root it with the method mentioned in Section 3

3. If i want to follow Section 2, to upgarde from GB to ICS firmware B936, then B936 instructions says '[b936] Download and extract the B895 firmware to somewhere memorable and copy the folder named "dload" But I dont see B895 firmware file avaiable on the link provided (http://g300.thebronasium.com/huawei/)

I will really appreciate if you could reply to my queries

Cheers !

Guest timethrow

Hello all,

Sorry I have not be able to reply for ages, as have been busy with work and other commitments. I will be answering all the questions and stuff very soon ( I intened to have it done by Friday evening) and will update the guide slightly more to include some new stuff.

One quick point no you will not loose your unlock if you upgrade. ;)

Will answer the rest soon.

Thanks

Hi,

I just have few queries

1. Section 1 - To do OTA update from GB to ICS, do we need to have handset rooted (using section 0)?

2. Can I upgrade OTA method (section 1) and then root it with the method mentioned in Section 3

3. If i want to follow Section 2, to upgarde from GB to ICS firmware B936, then B936 instructions says '[b936] Download and extract the B895 firmware to somewhere memorable and copy the folder named "dload" But I dont see B895 firmware file avaiable on the link provided (http://g300.thebronasium.com/huawei/)

Cheers !

I think this is what you want? U8815_V100R001C02B895 (Android_2.3.6_England_Vodafone_05011EMW).rar (211.22 MB). I downloaded this and the B936 zip files from the Huawei website before they pulled everything. The zip file contains a dload folder (with update.app) and Huawei Update Guide.

Edited by Guest

Guest alexslane

one small question,if i am on infusion rom and i want to downgrade to gingerbread what toolkit should i download? gb or ics downgrade toolkit?10x

+1 on that:)

Guest kepke90

Thanks for a guide, everything worked ok, but the problem began with the updating with vendor app.

This is what I've done.

1 .Upgraded from b886 to b926 Chinese

2. Overwritten the file update.app in dload on sdcard, with Update.app from vendor folder of b926 rom

- got Chinese letters, and managed to somehow change language...

3. rooted phone, unlocked bootloader and installer CWM using instructions from 1st post...

4. flashed to ICS b944 Repack, wiped cache, wiped factory reset, and didn't install any other file on the special list, wanted to see what the repack comes with originally

5. THE PROBLEM - when i boot the phone, chinese vendor applications still persists, don't wanna do anything without consulting with people here, also bootscreen of the Chinese operator remains...

How to get rid of those vendor files? did i installed the rom right?

Guest saurabhkolhekar

Hello all,

Sorry I have not be able to reply for ages, as have been busy with work and other commitments. I will be answering all the questions and stuff very soon ( I intened to have it done by Friday evening) and will update the guide slightly more to include some new stuff.

One quick point no you will not loose your unlock if you upgrade.

Will answer the rest soon.

Thanks

Thanks would be awaiting for your reply

Guest timethrow

Thank you timethrow for a great post. I managed to install version b934 on my G300. Still I got into some problems at first.

In Section 4, after installing a ROM you say that we should "Wipe Cache Partition" and then "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" before and after installing the Gapps and the other files. If I did it like that, after reboot the device didn't recognize the SIM card so I had no network, I got a pop-up saying that the messaging service has crashed and if I checked the IMEI I had no number at all. I tried it once again this time without "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset". This time everything is OK. Which method is the correct one?

The first method is correct, what you did should have NO affect like that so prephaps soemthing else may be wrong. What were you upgrading from??

Also in section 6: after the IMEI is changed to "0" and the stock GB is installed you say that the IMEI has to be restored, but you forgot to mention that the folder 5irom, with the original IMEI, has to replace the 5irom that has the "0" IMEI (at this step the folder 5irom is the one with the "0" IMEI) on the SD card and internal card. Maybe it would be good to add this for the less experienced persons, like me.

I thought that was there, If not I will add it but it should get wiped off anyway, but Ok.

Another question is also for section 6: after installing the stock GB and restoring the IMEI, you say to reboot in CWM and once again "Wipe Cache Partition", "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" and some Advanced stuff also. As I said before after "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" in B934 I could not use the phone. So this last "Wipe Cache Partition", "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", etc is correct?

What it says in the guide is correct and can confirm it causes NO problems like mentioned.

You said that is important to have all the Vodafone - Add Ons still installed as without them the OTA Upgrade WILL fail. Form where can I get all the Vodafone add-ons?

It should come bundled in with the firmware, check you have stuff like Documents to Go, Vodafone Music etc... Works on B885, B892 and B895 from a zeroed IEMI.

Last question: If I want to return to the original Vodafone B892, I had on the phone, how can I unroot the device and uninstall CWM?

Zero your IEMI and then flash the B892 firmware, Update.APP file over that, CWM and Root will be removed and you will revert to stock B892.

Thank you in advance.

one small question,if i am on infusion rom and i want to downgrade to gingerbread what toolkit should i download? gb or ics downgrade toolkit?10x

Urmmmm. Either one will do, They both have the files needed in, If you want a GB root though, download the GB one.

Hi, thanks for these instructions. Slight problem...

From Section 6 (downgrading from ICS to vodafone GB), near the top:

• When prompted reboot your phone, By holding the Power Button down and selecting "Reboot" (I presume you mean "restart")
  • Varies on Fimrware to Firmware. Must pepole can understand the differences !!!
  • The device will then begin a reboot loop this will go through many different stages and can take up to 5 minutes.
  • At this stage, the phone just shows the Huawei logo, then goes into the CWM-based recovery screen. It then says "E:Invalid command argument" - Any advice?
  • The was some information on this in the original post and in the topic. This is because of CWM and you just skip the thing and flash the firmware from there. No need to worry. See quote from OP below

From the recovery menu (Volume Buttons go up and down and Home is Select and Back is Back.) Select the following and in this order.

This will then reboot your phone (On some ROM's it many not boot now but do not worry)

Download and extract the contents of an official stock GB update. [For the official Vodafone Online Upgrade to ICS choose the B885 or B892 firmware.]

Thank you. You are just wonderful!

Thanks, Even though you were crediting someone else for me work ;)

Hmm, I'm having trouble resetting the IEMI to 0.

I've followed the guide several times to (downgrading from ICS to GB) and its still showing the original IEMI. Any suggestions?

What problems are you having, Are you rooted and ar eyou positive that the IEMI that is '0' is in both the Internal Memory and the SDCard ??

and that no other 5irom folders are present.

This downgrade should be updated, without all this middle update app and restoring imei, alot off people are

having problems with it.

There is none of this needed, it is very confusing.

The force downgrade is much easier no middle package and no imei hack,

and only takes two minutes

The link you posted uses the middle package, and as mentioned in that topic and others it does nto always work which is why the zero IEMI method is the most effective and is guarenteed to work. Unlike the middle package guide that you linked too.

How do you do this pls?

It is already on modaco look here

http://www.modaco.co...8/#entry2011243

Credits go to tcpaulh

Worth a try as it's less hassle but in some circumstances it will hang a third of the way through even with the middle file. If this happens then the zero imei method might be necessary.

Yep this is because not all firmware works with this and it does not and will not always work.

Already new about middle package which doesn't work. thought it was something i never heard about.

You and me both.

My huawei g300 is with build no B880. I was tried to upgrade its firmware by OTA method.When I finished download its update file, I was installed it. But it was not upgraded .Why? What I need to do it again? Can I upgrade my phone with as your guide. Can I upgrade its current firmware to B 926 firmware? Help me.

ICS is not available via OTA in all countries keep checking the OTA updates as it comes in stages e.g UK is B885 > B892 > B995 the to ICS.

Otherwise, Yes upgrade via my guide by all means

I didn't use the middle package, just put b885 update app in the dfolder switched on holding vol +/-

two minutes after i had gingerbread back on my phone

CAREFUL!! I would nto reccomend doing that as you are going from one baseband to another and you can end up permanently bricking your phone. Be very careful.

Hello! I have a question since I'm not so good on this things. If I update my Ascend G300, after I unlocked the network with a code (buyed from ebay), from GB to ICS it will remain network unlocked or I will need a new code for it?

Your unlock will remain after you have upgarde and or downgraded.

Hi,

I just have few queries

Cheers !

1. Nope, As this is the official way, Section 0 is a precautionary measure I would highly recommend anyone to do. Further to that not all countries have got ICS relased via the OTA update system yet. So you may end up just on the latest version of GB.

2. Yes you can.

3. Arghhh, Thanks for that I did not know about that. Will post alternative link later. Thanks

Thanks for a guide, everything worked ok, but the problem began with the updating with vendor app.

This is what I've done.

1 .Upgraded from b886 to b926 Chinese

2. Overwritten the file update.app in dload on sdcard, with Update.app from vendor folder of b926 rom

- got Chinese letters, and managed to somehow change language...

3. rooted phone, unlocked bootloader and installer CWM using instructions from 1st post...

4. flashed to ICS b944 Repack, wiped cache, wiped factory reset, and didn't install any other file on the special list, wanted to see what the repack comes with originally

5. THE PROBLEM - when i boot the phone, chinese vendor applications still persists, don't wanna do anything without consulting with people here, also bootscreen of the Chinese operator remains...

How to get rid of those vendor files? did i installed the rom right?

They will all stay there permanently know until you flash a whole new firmware. Boot screen can be changed (See Original post). Apps can be removed by using Root App Uninstaller (Something like that) search on Google or the Play Store.

There we go, I hope i answered everyones questions. Anything else then please ask. Wil be updating guide, toolkits etc over the next week including stuff like B944 and B895 etc.

Sorry about the quotes it kept coming up saying I had used to many so I ended up removing half of them so that I could post it.

Thanks alot.

Edited by timethrow

I didn't use the middle package, just put b885 update app in the dfolder switched on holding vol +/-

two minutes after i had gingerbread back on my phone

CAREFUL!! I would nto reccomend doing that as you are going from one baseband to another and you can end up permanently bricking your phone. Be very careful.

Thanks for your reply,

I just seen alot of people having problems with their iemi number,

didn't know this method could brick the phone :o

Maybe i was just lucky :D

Guest James Blond

Hi timethrow ,

1. In Section 4, after installing a ROM you say that we should "Wipe Cache Partition" and then "Wipe Data / Factory Reset" before and after installing the Gapps and the other files. If I did it like that, after reboot the device didn't recognize the SIM card so I had no network, I got a pop-up saying that the messaging service has crashed and if I checked the IMEI I had no number at all. I tried it once again this time without "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset". This time everything is OK. Which method is the correct one?

The first method is correct, what you did should have NO affect like that so prephaps soemthing else may be wrong. What were you upgrading from??

I had B892 Vodafone "branded" version than I upgraded via "dload" folder to B926 (Chinese), then I followed sections 0, 3 and 4 were I flashed B934 Stock repack as the official stock .zip didn't want to flash. Before reboot I did "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", installed all the other zips from section 4 and "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", once again. Reboot and than I got the error.

I did a new flash without cleaning everything and it was ok. I forgot to install the weather widget so I tried to install it after the reboot. Before rebooting, after the widget install from CWM, I cleaned everything once again. After reboot, of course that the widget was not installed, but I had the initial problem once again.

I decided to flash it once again (the stock repack B934). Before flashing, I "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", than I flashed the software without cleaning anything, installed all the extra .zip files that I found (I could not find go-launcher and googlenow_g300 in the ICS toolkit) without cleaning it and rebooted. Now is ok.

What did I do wrong when I got the error? Do you have any idea why I got the problem? I understand that if nobody complained about this, the procedure is correct, but were was my mistake so that I don't do it again :) ?

If I didn't "Wipe Cache Partition" and "Wipe Data / Factory Reset", how it affects the device as it seems to work (no lags, restarts or crashes) ?

2. You said that is important to have all the Vodafone - Add Ons still installed as without them the OTA Upgrade WILL fail. Form where can I get all the Vodafone add-ons?

It should come bundled in with the firmware, check you have stuff like Documents to Go, Vodafone Music etc... Works on B885, B892 and B895 from a zeroed IEMI.

Are the add-ons the same for B892 from England, Italy, Romania?

3. If I want to return to the original Vodafone B892, I had on the phone, how can I unroot the device and uninstall CWM?

Zero your IEMI and then flash the B892 firmware, Update.APP file over that, CWM and Root will be removed and you will revert to stock B892.

So I zero the IMEI, the firmware is the B892 stock .zip file which I install via CWM, right?, then what Update.APP file I use ? After that I still have the zero IMEI. To restore the IMEI I have to root the device and restore IMEI. Then the device remains rooted. What do I do?

Sorry if the question seems dumb but this part I didn't understood it yet.

Thank you for all your help (and patience :) )

Guest kepke90

I would like to try CM10 Jelly Bean, so the question is, how to revert to stock ICS? Does it differs from reverting to stock from the ICS roms? The is no downgrading, because the baseband is the same?

Thank you.

Guest Gabriel94

I cant zero my imei WHY?

1.installed 5iromtoolbox

2.backed up my imei

3.saved 5irom to pc and replaced 5irom from sdcard with 5irom_0 after renaming

4.usb mass storage off, usb cable off

5.restore imei

IMEI NOT 0, not even after phone reboot

I'm a newbie with no experience of modifying any android OS.

Got my G300 a couple of weeks ago from vodaphone shop in the UK.

Unlocked phone via ebay, no problem.

Plucked up the courage to root phone and backed up IEMI no problems.

I finally managed (after many 'update failed' messages with several

firmware versions) to upgrade to B936/baseband 2030 (from B892/

baseband 109808) by deleting everything on the internal SD except

the dload folder with the update.app file from huawei in it *before*

powering off my phone and restarting it. When I turned it on again

my phone immediately started unpacking and installing the firmware!

Sorry for the longwinded introduction (just hoping the background info

will help).

My question is :-

You recommended in section 7 that I root my phone and install CWM.

I followed the link to '19092012_ICS.zip' and downloaded it. My problem

is that when I unzipped the file, my antivirus software (AVG free edition 2013)

declared that the 'unlockbootloader.exe' file (1.85Mb) is a trojan horse called:

Agent3.BYXR

Is it safe to ignore AVG's advice and use this file? I'll have to turn off AVG

to use it of course!

Any advice would be very welcome, Tooly1.

Guest bogdantoma

I cant zero my imei WHY?

1.installed 5iromtoolbox

2.backed up my imei

3.saved 5irom to pc and replaced 5irom from sdcard with 5irom_0 after renaming

4.usb mass storage off, usb cable off

5.restore imei

IMEI NOT 0, not even after phone reboot

It doesn't need to be 0. It can also be a different imei. Check to see. If the app modified your original imei than you're good to go.

I zeroed my emei number to get off 926. When i flashed gb my calls text ect were all working fine even though imei was 0. I restored it anyways and flashed 936. Is this right. Should i have been to make/ recieve calls? or is my phone weird?

I just saw this link in some topic

http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDY4ODE=

And I'm wondering if someone's tried it, it looks easier to just do the dload thing without zeroing the IMEI

EDIT: Downloaded it just to see what it is and there's a "Middle package for Vodafone" with an UPDATE.APP file (~1mb) inside and the B895 firmware and a manual for downgrading

Edited by SterLu

Guest clauscdi

What's the main reason of zeroing the IMEI?; this process can help changing the band or it has different benefits? I think using a "Middle package for Vodafone" we can downgrade without zeroing the IMEI.

doh, I've broken it (upgrading from GB to ICS)

rooting worked ok, installed CWM file also. Tried to upgrade via dload route and also the CWM route and I think I've bricked it!!!!

I've tried installing the official ICS via the official install route (Vol Up/Down + power) with the 600mb file in dload directory and it fails on the second part (1/2 seems to work, 2/2 fails immediately). Restarting just has the device sitting there!!!!

Please help!

Matt

BTW. I did backup the IMEI

doh, I've broken it (upgrading from GB to ICS)

rooting worked ok, installed CWM file also. Tried to upgrade via dload route and also the CWM route and I think I've bricked it!!!!

I've tried installing the official ICS via the official install route (Vol Up/Down + power) with the 600mb file in dload directory and it fails on the second part (1/2 seems to work, 2/2 fails immediately). Restarting just has the device sitting there!!!!

Please help!

Matt

BTW. I did backup the IMEI

Try reflashing the rom you was on before this. Flash official update