N7 slow down / laggy

Guest pritsey

Guest rferrett

I have tried lots of different ROMS and several different Kernels and I keep getting it. Back on JR7 with Trinity ATM at it is ok.

But it is a major fault and if I am honest I am thinking of returning it. Just not good enough. So frustrating.

Guest Colin Whiteside

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, to meet release yields, Asus used cheaper flash storage (with a poor memory controller) on first-run N7s, which explains why this isn't a device-wide issue and seems to largely be affecting early adopters. I'm going to hang off a few more weeks, and if things don't improve or the issue fails to get recognised, look to swap my unit for a newer one at HMV. I'll pop the back off my current one at some point and check the build date though. If other people fancy giving that a shot, I'd be much obliged, it's a bit brown-trousers the first time you try it but it's actually not that hard if you're careful.

Guest Dabogues

The wife has been out of town for about a week, so I haven't had the time to dig any deeper yet. Has anyone on here contacted Asus yet? I will probably be able to call them Thursday or Friday, and I"m curious as to how they will handle it. I expect the typical initially useless suggestions, and then it escalating into me trying to convince them that it is a real problem.

Guest Colin Whiteside

Well Google have asked a bunch of people experiencing the problem who bought them via the Play Store to volunteer their tablets so they can investigate, so things are moving along.

Guest cacklemygladys

I'm getting it as soon as I go below 8Gb free space.

Just downloading the free Transformer movie does it.

I really don't want to return it, but if it's not fixed soon I can't see any other option.

I got the 8GB version so its nigh impossible for mine to have much more than 4GB free at best, and that's assuming I don't have any files on it. It doesn't seem to be particularly laggy, although I did a massive cleanout and it did make it noticably snappier. I also disabled a number of things like Google Now (which strikes me as being totally useless), all the Play apps (other than the store, they aren't supported in New Zealand) and assorted other bits & pieces. It's now very quick, will see if I can run some sort of benchmark on it (I think AnTuTu does I/O tests?)

Well Guys,

Thanks to this thread I learnt that I was not alone in experiencing NAND Flash problems with the N7. I purchased mine at launch in July from Tesco and thanks to the info from this thread have managed to secure a full refund from Tesco Direct. I explained the problem and they offered me a full refund without question, they picked up the device free of charge. I guess it's worth asking your retailer to replace/refund the device and point them to the article on 'The Register'. Hope this helps someone...

Guest Colin Whiteside

Yeah, it might be time to try that. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund and buying something else. I don't particularly want to, as I quite like the device otherwise, but at present there seems to be no guarantee that it won't happen on newly-released devices.

Guest Dabogues

Yeah, it might be time to try that. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund and buying something else. I don't particularly want to, as I quite like the device otherwise, but at present there seems to be no guarantee that it won't happen on newly-released devices.

Agreed. I bought mine from Gamestop here in the US, so I'm not sure what to do. Do I contact Asus directly and just hope for the best, or do I just try to return it? Damnit, Google, if you'd just let us have an SD card, we wouldn't have this issue. I hate that my one biggest misgiving about the device (no expandable storage) is now turning out to be the thing that shoots it most in the foot.

And how nuts is it that the 8GB model isn't affected? ARGH. I want to keep this thing, but I need some sort of resolution (and I don't consider rooting so I can have a USB OTG dongle hanging off all the time a solution).

Aaaargh, its driving me mad. Just re-flashed stock and remove everything (OK 10 basic apps or so, nothing large)

The keyboard hangs and the screen if I'm scrolling around hangs for a second or two completely ignoring my input, its like the processor is servicing a mystery interrupt which doesn't yield.

So am I supposed to return it or what?

And is everyone suffering this or just a few people. If I reboot or lock screen and unlock it fixes itself for a while until it eventually gets its kernel in a twist. Also.. multi tasking isn't happening at all. Perhaps Google know SFA about software dev. But as other devices work fine?? then it looks like the tegra arcitecure is just flawed, certainly my lg 2x also struggles but all my other less powerful non tegra device work without problem.

Seems a known prolm -http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35663

Edited by dbbloke

Guest Dabogues

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Going to call Asus tonight (I procrastinated) to see if they will replace it or what---assuming they fixed the memory issue with newer runs of the N7. But worst case scenario, I need to return it...what the hell do I do to replace it? Anyone out there working on replacing their N7 with a comparable tablet? I like the idea of the Wikipad, but even beyond the steep $500 price, I really want a 7" tablet---not a 10" one. Sigh. So bummed out here. Why, Google/Asus, WHY did you have to leave out the SD slot?

Guest Dabogues

I have sent mine off to Asus. Totally unusable. Can't see how they fix it TBH.

I will be interested to hear about your progress. I STILL haven't gotten around to calling them. I think it officially counts as procrastinating now, because I don't feel like fighting with whomever answers the phone. What kind of experience did you have? Did they make you pay for shipping or anything?

Guest springah

Glad this has been picked up. Another fun benefit of slowdown due to slow memory speeds: try downloading a rented movie while surfing the web in Chrome. Expect it to be asslike.

i had this same experience with my TF: Prime and have since sold it - i honestly think its an Android issue :/

Guest Colin Whiteside

It's definitely not an Android issue, as my phones have been fine, it's an Asus-using-slow-storage issue. The Transformer series and Nexus 7 both score terribly in storage benchmarks.

Anyway, got mine swapped for a C90K unit in HMV, which is working fine for now but I'm in no rush to fill it up and find out.

Guest rferrett

Anyone know what the drill is if this keeps happening? Hopefully they will have fixed mine when it comes back but if not I'm gonna try for a refund and buy something else.

Guest Colin Whiteside

Anyone know what the drill is if this keeps happening? Hopefully they will have fixed mine when it comes back but if not I'm gonna try for a refund and buy something else.

Two priests, one old and one young...

Seriously though, factory resetting it might help in the short term but it's down to Google now to patch it.

Guest Dabogues

The latest OTA will apparently fix this issue when it arrives in the UK. Should hit in the next couple of days.

Colin, do you have a link confirming that? This would be an enormous relief (and you can bet the very first thing I'm going to do after the update is nearly max out the storage).

Guest dbbloke

So... Just got off the phone with google.Interesting read but...

Bottom line, It's either a software issue or it's a screen hardware issue.

So they said go to apps, all and uninstall pinyin updates.

Then diable pinyin keyboard

reboot device

I told them about the screen unlock fixing it and they gave me the additional info.

When you power off the screen/device it powers off the screen and resets it. Also it resets the pinyin bug. So it's hard to say if you have a screen unlock issue if it is dodgy screen (they told me its this) or a software thing.

Than we got into a discussion about my right to get a refund period over. i said in the uk we have the sale of goods act etc.... and if its faulty (probably is) then you have a year to get a refund from the person you bought it from. they didnt like this!!! Anyhow, I told them the law and they said... right, see how you go with the pinyin thing and if its still screwed you will get through to a level 2 person (who will follow up anyhow) and argue about the UK laws with him. Really bad a company like google is stating you can only get a refund in 28 days not 1 year as per normal uk law. It'll be 2 years if the UK ever join the EU directive that says everything nowadays needs to come with a 2 year guarantee.

Anyhow, I try and lock this thing again :) Should not be so hard, but perhaps pinyin will fix it.