Advice on updating from B926

Guest kurix

New to the forum and I'm just a bit confused and was hoping that some of you lovely people could help me...

A friend of mine just gave me his G300 after he got a new phone. I've just got the phone and don't know much about it, just that he was trying to root the phone and install ICS. It seems he's managed to upgrade to the B926 CN ROM as there's a chinese logo on boot and chinese aplications. He also left a good IMEI recovery file on the SD card so that's fine.

I'm interested in upgrading to B934. My questions are these:

1) Which B934 ROM is most popular? Should I use the official or a custom one?

2) Is clockworkmod necessary?

3) What is the easiest method of upgrading? And will it require downgrading the phone so that rooting tools can work?

I apologize for the sheer ignorance of my post. I've read a lot around on the forums, but there are so many conflicting posts and so many different versions that it's hard to really understand the best method. I started earlier thinking that an UK version of B927 was the best choice, after researching this I found out about B934 and had to start over again...

Thanks for any and all help :)

Guest romtastic

ok, Infusion is probably the most popular, but as everyone on here knows each rom has its own merits. We all know stock roms are rubbish so i'd recommend always using custom roms that add way more features etc,

Clockwork is neccesary if you want the good stuff, but its sooo easy to do that shouldn't concern you, it takes 30 seconds and its done. (At the right point in time tho lol)

Easiest upgrade path imho B892-B926(CN Update)-B934 (Infusion), but first you'll nedd to need to make sure you have the IMEI saved onto your computer too, much safer. (Folder should be called 5irom thats on your sdcard?, copy that to your pc before you go any further)

Also you will want to make sure you remove the CN B926 dload folder off the sdcard to stop you accidently flashing it again.

Then you could follow a guide, hope that helps a little, and welcome to the site

Edited by romtastic

Thanks for the help romtastic. I managed to install clockwork and the infusion ROM. But then I found out that you need a stock ROM to unlock the phone otherwise you get a message saying that system ui has stopped working (as "maritimesbob" says in this thread: http://www.modaco.co.../page__st__1600). So I used clockwork to install this ROM (http://www.modaco.co...rkmod-recovery/).

But now the phone just stick on startup. It goes to the chinese logo (equivalent of the huawei logo I think) and just stays there. I've tried booting into clockwork with volume up but it doesn't work. Have I bricked it? Any advice?

Edited by kurix

Guest timfimjim

It's not bricke, it's not booting because you installed a ROM intended for gingerbread baseband on top of the ICS baseband.

Are you sure it won't boot into Cwm? Have you tried taking the battery out for a few seconds, replacing it and powering on with vol+ held?

Ahhh I see and thanks for the reply. It definitely won't boot into cwm. I've tried multiple times. So what's the best route forward?

I need a stock ROM apparently to unlock the phone.

Guest Rico_89

Wouldn't his only option be to flash an update.app from one of the ICS builds?

I'm just asking kurix so don't try it yet. :)

Edited by Rico_89

Which one should I use? I have the b927 update.app. Does it even matter?

Thanks again guys.

Edit: Also what is the exact process that I should use? Stick the update.app file in "dload" on the SD card, should I wipe the rest of the SD card? Are there any guides for this?

Edited by kurix

Guest timfimjim

I think if one works then they would all work. Try b934. There are guides - have a look for the sticky thread on upgrading to ICS. Don't need to wipe the rest of sd card. Yep place the update.app in dload folder. Make sure it's the right update.app though (and not a vendor file etc)

I've tried the B934 and B927 update.app files and both showed a pink loading bar but got stuck on about 30%. After trying to boot I still seem to be stuck at the boot screen. I've read about this problem in other threads. I'll try different ROMs tomorrow and update you guys.

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated.

if you still have cwm installed then flash tillaz's B934.zip repacked rom. Thats assuming you are still on B926 ??

It will install over B926 via cwm

Your recovery screen when you say your on cwm is orange ??

Guest Rico_89

I've tried the B934 and B927 update.app files and both showed a pink loading bar but got stuck on about 30%. After trying to boot I still seem to be stuck at the boot screen. I've read about this problem in other threads. I'll try different ROMs tomorrow and update you guys.

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated.

Ok try this downgrade "update.app" here: http://www.modaco.co...ade-tool-found/

The .zip provided in that thread contains an update.app; so you want to replace the update.app in the dload folder on your sd card, with the one provided from that thread. Install the same way: both volume buttons and power up.

Once it's done, don't power up, just put your ICS update.app back into the dload folder, on your sd card, and install with both volume buttons held etc.

Edited by Rico_89

if you still have cwm installed then flash tillaz's B934.zip repacked rom. Thats assuming you are still on B926 ??

http://www.modaco.co...��repacked��zip

It will install over B926 via cwm

Your recovery screen when you say your on cwm is orange ??

I can't access Cwm 5 through volume +. But thanks anyway.

Ok try this downgrade "update.app" here: http://www.modaco.co...ade-tool-found/

The .zip provided in that thread contains an update.app; so you want to replace the update.app in the dload folder on your sd card, with the one provided from that thread. Install the same way: both volume buttons and power up.

Once it's done, don't power up, just put your ICS update.app back into the dload folder, on your sd card, and install with both volume buttons held etc.

I've tried using the downgrade tool but like the author of that thread it just gets stuck at about 70%, but for me it doesn't even reboot, it just stays there. "sd_update" then reads as:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER_LIST,is_rx_finish=0,is_operate_succ=1,current_operate=2

call dload_machine data process failed,module = OEMSBL_VER

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xe9000000, len_tmp=0x19

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Again the ICS ROM just stuck at 30%.

The SD card does have folders other than dload: ".android_secure", "clockworkmod" and "LOST.dir". All but the clockworkmod folders are empty. It just has a backup in it created from within Cwm when it was working. Could any of these be causing a problem?

The card is a 32GB one, could this be causing a problem? I've seen people recommending different mini sd cards in other threads but don't know if there's any truth to it. Should I try reformatting the card to Fat32 and using the downgrade tool and then an ICS ROM again?

After the ICS ROM the "sd_update" file reads as following:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

new partition error.

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = PARTITION

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

call dload_machine data process failed,module = QCSBLHD_CFGDATA

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xf0000000, len_tmp=0x2524

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

I've read in another thread that the B926 ROM seems to have worked for some people with the same problem. But the only download link I can find is for a Chinese derivative that gives an extraction error. Does anyone know of any live links to a B926 ROM with update.app?

And thanks again to all of you. It's good to see a community that's alive and helpful.

Guest timfimjim

I dont think sd card is the problem. I am confused as to how flashing a rom in Cwm managed to delete recovery, after all it is recovery! Edit: think jikobutsu managed it though. He just sent it back to Vodafone saying it wouldn't boot.

If you could somehow wipe the imei youwould be able to run an update.app but that doesn't seem possible without booting. If you can't get into Cwm or boot up then I'm afraid it might be dead.

The reason the update.app fails is because it's trying to upgrade your baseband, but it's already been upgraded. Same as it won't go to an older baseband (gb). If the middle package (the small update app to hopefully allow downgrading) doesn't work then there's not much else you can do, unless something comes out with a newer baseband. But that's unlikely...

Are there any factory images flashable via fast boot?

You could ring Huawei or vodafone and be honest, see if they'll repair it, I can't recommend you be dishonest (and it probably wouldn't work if it has the Chinese splash image).

I'msorry I can't be more helpful :(

Edited by timfimjim

Yeah I'm not going to lie, it was my fault not the company. I guess it's just a lesson to be more careful. Thanks for all the help anyway :)

Edit: I'm just going to order another. If some fix does come along I'll just sell this one on ebay. Failing that I can still get some money for it from a phone recycling company. So no worries.

Edited by kurix

so have you tried all ics updates and none work .does the screen not even boot.

All except B926 because I can't find a working download link. When I switch it on it just goes to the Chinese splash screen (equivalent to Huawei splash). I can't access Cwm or any recovery mode. Every ROM gets stuck at 30%. The downgrade ROM gets stuck at 70% and doesn't reboot.

I just badword it up by flashing ROM from the wrong baseband. Stupid beginner mistake. C'est la vie.