What antivirus do you use?

Guest kyan31

Guest kyan31

So as the title says, what antivirus do you use?

I used to use TrustGo (which was great and entirely free) but then fell in love with avast (also free).

Edited by kyan31

Guest princeotter

Second vote for Avast! Especially with the theft/loss extras as well. Going to put it on my stepdaughters new GS2 so that when she puts it down somewhere daft (like actually in her Gecko's tank) and can't find it and we cant call it as its in silent mode (and this is normally 2 mins after she should have left for work....) at least we can text it and make siren go off :-)

Guest kyan31
Second vote for Avast! Especially with the theft/loss extras as well. Going to put it on my stepdaughters new GS2 so that when she puts it down somewhere daft (like actually in her Gecko's tank) and can't find it and we cant call it as its in silent mode (and this is normally 2 mins after she should have left for work....) at least we can text it and make siren go off :-)

I know, I actually downloaded avast more for the theft features rather than anti virus. And the fact its completely free makes it a tonne better. I don't even know why people use antivirus apps like lookout. They're good, but expensive. Avast does more than lookout for free.

Guest Sonny Atwal

i honestly do not know why you would need an antivirus on a phone, i dont even have one on my pc because i only download things from trusted sources. never open zip files from spam emails, etc.

have not had a virus in about 10 years either.

Guest Wanyal

As far as I'm concerned, you're doing something wrong if you feel the need to install an anti-malware app. If you review permissions, and dont sideload anything/everything you'll be fine.

If you expressed a need to use LBE Privacy Guard, I would understand, because I use it myself, but anti-malware is just silly, IMO.

Edited by Wanyal

Guest Davidoff59

I use lbe privacy and Android Lost.

Android lost is a cracking free app which does more than most paid for location apps and I can happily say I have recovered my Partners phone after she left it on a wall and someone took it.

Guest LMariachi

That's not mandatory, you can use it fine without one but i use Avast, just because it's very light to the operating system and has lots of options...

Guest Rico_89

i honestly do not know why you would need an antivirus on a phone, i dont even have one on my pc because i only download things from trusted sources. never open zip files from spam emails, etc.

have not had a virus in about 10 years either.

How would you know? ;)

On my PC, Avast and Comodo firewall, on my phone I used to use Avast but haven't installed it in awhile and I'm in no rush, although because of the anti theft I'll probably reinstall it once I feel the need.

Guest Sonny Atwal

How would you know? ;)

On my PC, Avast and Comodo firewall, on my phone I used to use Avast but haven't installed it in awhile and I'm in no rush, although because of the anti theft I'll probably reinstall it once I feel the need.

i regularly go into task manager to kill a certain process (hp update scheduler) and usually there are no dodgy looking ones when im in there. also the pc works as it should. im quite an advanced windows user so i would know pretty much straight away if i had a virus. i also re-format once a year to keep the system running as clean as possible. plus as said before i know how most people get viruses and i don't make those mistakes.

dodgy zip files in random emails is the biggest one. if you get an email from UPS about a parcel you never ordered and they have sent you the tracking info in a zip file. you can pretty much guarantee it's a virus. i also do not go onto dodgy sites or look for dodgy software, etc.

Guest pelago

I used to be like you, until I got a virus. These days you can get them due to unpatched exploits in your OS, Flash player, Adobe Reader, Java, etc. You don't even necessarily need to go to "dodgy" sites to get infected.

Guest Hogweed

Just checking in task manager is nowhere near good enough to check for a virus.

I have removed viruses from 2 different friends PCs recently. Both appear to have been infected by poisoned flash adverts served on mainstream sites. Both were running virus scanners though but they still got infected.

Reminder: If you use Flash or Java, you must get the latest versions of both as very serious security flaws are fixed.