power button

Guest brit07

Ok , so i woke up this morning to find my power button has sunk into the phone case and was no longer working it was as if it was stuck down :/ only had the phone 3 months so was not best pleased rang orange this morning got a replacement handset coming tonight i was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with buttons?

• 1 month later...
Guest benj10

Ok i have my power buttons broken too... I open it to check and it seems to be a real problem. I think we will not the last. Orange will change me tuesday.

Use this: https://play.google....3JlZW5vZmYiXQ..

I know it does not solve anything, but all devices have a problem here and there, like g300 I had, blobs on screen, misaligned display, noisy casing.

The app above works very well and has a nice ui, I use it, only time I need my power button is to switch the device on, I use rom toolbox pro to switch off with reboot widget.

The OSD power button is not best design, it is too tight and small, but at least it not lose and wobbly like some devices lol

post-796032-0-18206900-1349884384_thumb.

post-796032-0-60715700-1349884520_thumb.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

I have a brand new San diego and noticed that the power button is more inside the case that the camera button for example. I removed the back and used a pin to try and raise the button but I found that the button was actually fine. It looks like it's broken but actually isn't. So it's just a design flaw. A bad design flaw. No point swapping it unless the actual switch has gone tbh. Just press a bit harder.

We could do with enabling volume rocker wake on the phone. Anyone fancy hacking android-policy.jar to add this? (I would but I have no free time for the next week)

Guest shootomanUK

POWER BUTTON REMAPPING

----------------------

please note i have not had time to test this myslef just yet but i will soon, so TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK !

you should be able to remap the keys in the "gpio-keys.kl" file

pull the file

/system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl

now im not an expert with the adb commands maybe someone else could help but i think it could be :

adb remount

adb pull system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl

once you have pulled the file "gpio-keys.kl" make a backup of it incase you you edit it and forget what you changed.

now using notepad you should see this:

key 115 volume_up

key 114 volume_DOWN

KEY 528 FOCUS

KEY 212 CAMERA

so just edit the key you want to use for power button

example:

key 115 VOLUME_UP

key 114 VOLUME_DOWN

KEY 528 FOCUS

KEY 212 POWER WAKE

try "POWER WAKE" OR "POWER" not sure what the command is on the osd

after your done editing save it as "gpio-keys.kl" and select all files (NOT AS .txt file).

now push the file back to the phone:

adb remount

adb push gpio-keys.kl /system/usr/keylayout

then reboot your phone and check to see if its working using the changed button.

if you have trouble pushing files to the phone try using the insecure adb files that flibblesan posted.

good luck !

Edited by shootomanUK

Guest Simon O

It works! Respect to the man above! The camera button has now turned into a power button when you are inside Android.

If your power button is 100% broken then this won't allow you to turn the phone on. But you probably know that ;)

Guest Pooloox

Same problem, but my phone won't boot so I couldn't try shootomanUK method. If i get my phone back to orange with the xolo ROM (I've the Orange with Intel Inside) would they change it ? (Sorry for my bad english, I'm a 15 years old french)

Guest BlueMoonRising

Same problem, but my phone won't boot so I couldn't try shootomanUK method. If i get my phone back to orange with the xolo ROM (I've the Orange with Intel Inside) would they change it ? (Sorry for my bad english, I'm a 15 years old french)

If it wont boot they wont know about it until they get it booted themselves, by which time you should have your new one. If they don't refurbish it because of physical damage they may never know.

That said I've seen where they are insisting that they repair rather than replace (because of lack of stock possibly, just a stalling exercise in my opinion).

If you bought it from a shop take a large, loud adult with you and insist on a swap. If you haven't had it very long you should be able to use whatever French consumer laws apply.

Good find ShootomanUk,

I use volume down as it is in the right place for my thumb when holding device,

I know this removes volume down but if you press volume up, you can adjust volume with the slider on screen :)

edit: after the device goes into deep sleep the volume key does not wake device right, took several presses.

Edited by Guest

Guest shootomanUK

i think camera button is the best if you need to change your power button, you can use the camera with the on screen button, and the camera button feels a bit stiff to be taking quick pictures !

Edited by shootomanUK

Guest shootomanUK

help

once you have gpio-keys.kl on your computer, use notepad to open the file

then edit the file like the info above

then send it back to the phone

:)

Guest shootomanUK

Good afternoon. I can not find gpio-keys.kl on my pc

you could also edit the gpio-keys.kl on the phone itself if you have root, just find the file and edit it

Guest JRAtk027

I've had this problem twice. I got it replaced for free the first time, about 3 months ago after having it for about a month. But this time they had to send it off for repairs for "up to 2 weeks". AND they didn't even admit any wrong-doing on their half, when it's obviously a design flaw. Absolutely ridiculous. As well as that, the back of the phone kept popping off at random, this isn't a known issue, but should've warranted a replacement. I will probably have to result to consumer law to back me up on this one if they continue.

Edited by JRAtk027

Guest chinstroker

My power/wake amendment has stopped working now...cant seem to wake with the camera button. Pretty sure its a rogue app or superuser change thats caused it but can put my finger on what exactly - any thoughts anyone?