Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Guest dalyer

well all going well untill i try to download "ClockworkG300.exe" as it gets blocked by anti-virus,

does anyone know where i can get this in a ".zip" file?

Try doing a Save As in case the browser is trying to immediately execute the EXE. However chances are you'll need to temporarily disable your AV to complete the download. This happens a lot with such tools as they do look dodgy to AV tools. Even when they are zipped. Remember to switch AV back on once you have the utility downloaded.

Also - if you are following this tutorial then use the official bootloader unlock process rather than the one mentioned in this tutorial as it installs the (inherently unlocked) GB bootloader and that can cause problems (e.g. 3G reboots) on ICS.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer

• 2 weeks later...
Guest noobordumb

It also had SuperSU not superuser or i accidently loaded bootloader.exe when i was suppose to launch RootG300.exe not the GingerbreadRoot.exe so please any way how to revive my new Huawei Ascend G300?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest savagelyric

Hi. I used this guide when I got my G300 about a year ago, I *think* I just followed the sections to debrand but I can't remember - how can I find out what ROM I have installed (if any) and what version of ICS? (Sorry for simple question and shakey terminology!)

Guest plewis1981

Hi. I used this guide when I got my G300 about a year ago, I *think* I just followed the sections to debrand but I can't remember - how can I find out what ROM I have installed (if any) and what version of ICS? (Sorry for simple question and shakey terminology!)

All of the information about the ROM you are currently running is in the about phone section of the settings menu.

To fined out if you have stock recovery or CWM power off you phone then power on whilst holding volume up.

• 3 months later...

My RootG300.exe which runs is 1.75MBytes so it looks like your download was truncated/corrupted. 

Might be a malware/virus checker interfering with the download because utilities like these can look suspicious (e.g. like rootkits) to security software.

Guest dentona

Please help! I have been considering rooting my phone for the first time, but have been putting off trying because it sounded very complicated. But I saw your oh so easy instructions and decided to take the bull by the horns.

However, I have downloaded ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk to my G300 but cannot install it. When I tap it, it just takes me to my browser and then does nothing more.

I thought everything was going too well!!!

Did you enable installation from "unknown" locations?

If not then Android will only let Play Store install apps.

In any case you only really need 5irom if you are going to change your IMEI and you really should avoid any guides that suggest that in my opinion. In which case you don't need 5irom. :)

Also - don't follow this tutorial in full - particular not the bootloader unlock part.

And definitely don't try to unlock the bootloader if you have GB installed. You need stock ICS.

For bootloader unlocking refer to this this tutorial:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/

And maybe these steps will help:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366749-help-to-root-bootloader-and-others/#entry2177051

Personally I found it easier to just revert to the GB bootloader and baseband and use a GB ROM (CM7 right now but superslim and AtomicMod before that)

http://www.modaco.com/topic/361310-downgrade-upgrade-from-recovery/

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer

Guest lnvbovo

Fantastic guide! Thanks. I have a g300+ which seems to be a g300 with extra frequencies.

Everything up to page 5 step 17 works fine. But here I get an "upgrade failed".  The 'middle update" troubleshooting step doesn't help either.

Does baseband refer to the modem firmware? If so it makes sense why the upgrade is failing.

Anyone get a g300+ working?

Also, https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/119537 says G300 bootloader unlocks may brick G300+'s. Could I just get an unlock code from the carrier and skip the bootlader step on page 6?

Can't seem to find much info specific to the G300+'s

Parts of this tutorial are not recommended any more - e.g. bootloader unlocking.

Try this instead:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366749-help-to-root-bootloader-and-others/#entry2177051

I suppose you could call the baseband the modem firmware although the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) might also be termed that?

When it comes to baseband there are only two possibilities - GB/109808 or ICS/2030.

I don't know much about G300+ versus G300. Is it the Oz/South America version or something with additional frequencies? If so then be careful which ROM/RIL you flash.

Guest lnvbovo

Thanks for the help. The g300+ is an OZ version - 850/900/2100Mhz. Would have got a g300 if I could find one :unsure:

I have root already. Just to check - you're saying to skip unlocking the boatloader and going straight to steps 17-21 on page 6 of the guide (installing CWM). Is it possible to do this when I'm still stuck on baseband 109808? The guide (page 5) says:

Do NOT skip this page or you may end up bricking your phone!

No - skip the "like you're 5" tutorial's way of doing bootloader unlocking as it does an unofficial unlock which can result in 3G reboots.

Back then that was the only way to unlock the bootloader but there is a much better way now.

Unfortunately some of the info/links/guides/tutorials posted here are out of date and not up to speed with more recent ways of doing things.

Instead refer to the link that I posted for details of how to do an official ICS bootloader unlock using a code from Huawei or using DC Unlocker (may not work for everybody).

Bootloader unlocking must be done on stock ICS.

The link that I posted should be a good pointer to where to find the info to root, unlock bootloader, install CWM/TWRP, install ROM etc.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer

Guest lnvbovo

OK. Think I've got it. Upgrade to stock ICS, get bootloader unlock code from Huawei, then install CWM/TWRP.

Thanks again.

MODS: maybe unpin this guide now that it's out of date?

Edited by lnvbovo

Guest lnvbovo

I'm running in circles now. The stock ICS update guide  has the same step that failed for me - page 5. The middle update doesn't work.

There are no OTA upgrades available either.

If no one else has any ideas on how to update, I may need to return the g300+ and keep looking for a g300.

• 2 months later...
Guest feival

Help. I am really confused. I have rooted my G300 and have installed CWM 6.0.1.2. I tried to update the firmware using this file cm-11-20140316-NIGHTLY-u8815 but when it is installing it gets to "Installing Update" and then I get a message "set_metadata_recursive: some chagnes failed". At that point the process is stuck. The phone eventually reboots into CWM but there is no way to actually to actually get the phone to boot normally. It does display the normal boot logo but that is it - it just goes straight into the boot menu :(

Guest dalyer

Help. I am really confused. I have rooted my G300 and have installed CWM 6.0.1.2. I tried to update the firmware using this file cm-11-20140316-NIGHTLY-u8815 but when it is installing it gets to "Installing Update" and then I get a message "set_metadata_recursive: some chagnes failed". At that point the process is stuck. The phone eventually reboots into CWM but there is no way to actually to actually get the phone to boot normally. It does display the normal boot logo but that is it - it just goes straight into the boot menu :(

You used the wrong CWM. See here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/367019-kk-442-cyanogenmod-110-rom-nightly-builds-available/page-2#entry2179964

(Not sure why you posted in this thread by the way?!?)

• 2 months later...
Guest mythb

Hi I have g301 my baseband 19808 and ı cant upgrade with for g300 UPTADE.APP how ı can upgrade 2030 ? And sorry dumb questions but whats different 2030 or 19808? gsm frequance ?

Guest dalyer

I was never clear about compatibility (or otherwise) between G300 ROMs and G301.

However I presume that stock update.app ROMs from Huawei are not transferrable between the two?

Which would mean that the stock G300 B952 in this tutorial will not work on the G301.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Are you sure that this tutorial is relevant to unlocking the G301 bootloader?

There are a few threads here that mention G301 in case they shed any light on this issue?

Google "modaco g300 g301" as the site's own search is not great in my experience.

For what it's worth the only stock update.app for the G301 available from Huawei seems to be this:

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/downloads/detail/index.htm?id=15541

And it's not a dumb question about the differences between the two basebands (unless I'm also dumb! :D). 

I've never seen it explained what they are.

But I don't think that it's frequencies as I suspect that's more down to the RIL (Radio Interface Layer).

Here's one thread but it doesn't really clarify that much:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/356918-basebands/

Hope this helps.

Guest mythb

I was never clear about compatibility (or otherwise) between G300 ROMs and G301.

However I presume that stock update.app ROMs from Huawei are not transferrable between the two?

Which would mean that the stock G300 B952 in this tutorial will not work on the G301.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Are you sure that this tutorial is relevant to unlocking the G301 bootloader?

There are a few threads here that mention G301 in case they shed any light on this issue?

Google "modaco g300 g301" as the site's own search is not great in my experience.

For what it's worth the only stock update.app for the G301 available from Huawei seems to be this:

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/downloads/detail/index.htm?id=15541

And it's not a dumb question about the differences between the two basebands (unless I'm also dumb! :D). 

I've never seen it explained what they are.

But I don't think that it's frequencies as I suspect that's more down to the RIL (Radio Interface Layer).

Here's one thread but it doesn't really clarify that much:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/356918-basebands/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for information

g301  same g300 without appearance.Unfortunately only gingerbread firmware aveilable for g301

I use slimv13 with cwm, works good.But I need 2030 for other roms oc kernels eg.. and I dont know how I can :/