Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Guest tonycoates2003

Speaking as a retired college lecturer, I really am impressed with the guide on this thread. It is well written and accurate and informative, you cant ask more than that.

When I first found this web site I was well up for "playing" with my phone, particularly with the volume concerns. Since trying various ROMs and ending up with pages of Chinese icons, I was on the verge of throwing my phone.

Then I discovered this thread, followed it, learned that you use the home button to accept CWM options and not the power button. I am now running with B934, no Chinese icons, and all of the Google apps now working again.

One very happy Android device, and me.

Thanks to all who have worked to make this thread/project a success.

Guest tonycoates2003

Speaking as a retired college lecturer, I really am impressed with the guide on this thread. It is well written and accurate and informative, you cant ask more than that.

When I first found this web site I was well up for "playing" with my phone, particularly with the volume concerns. Since trying various ROMs and ending up with pages of Chinese icons, I was on the verge of throwing my phone.

Then I discovered this thread, followed it, learned that you use the home button to accept CWM options and not the power button. I am now running with B934, no Chinese icons, and all of the Google apps now working again.

Guest tonycoates2003

Hi,

Thanks for this post.

I'm trying to update to Infusion ICS custom Rom, but I'm experiencing some issues with your tutorial.

1 - My G300 is a French one, from Bouygues Telecom, U8815, GB 2.3.6, 109808 Baseband, B893 Build.

2 - I already Rooted it, installed a CWMrecovery and backed up my IMEI (not with your method, but done and well done)

3 - I thought I could start your tutorial at step "My baseband is 109808" (page 5 of 8), but maybe I was too optimistic

4 - I did every step right, but when I tried to update from my SD Card, it started and unpacked (step 1), but then failled to install the B936 (step2).

5 - My "quick boot" in "app setting" is unthicked. Could my issues come from here ?

Thanks for answering, and sorry for my english...

you use the downgrade package also known as the middle dload ,then use the b926 ics dload and that should be okay ,cant say as i dont no what operating system you have,best results are from win 7

you use the downgrade package also known as the middle dload ,then use the b926 ics dload and that should be okay ,cant say as i dont no what operating system you have,best results are from win 7

I'm running Win 7 - Will try you solution.

Thanks

Guest Gabriel94

I succesfully rooted my phone, for the first time, and having root is an awesome thing.

I'm at step 5/8 right now and its installing the ICS update :) hope it works so far no errors.

Guest MeatGrowBrain

Hmm I got to the re-root section problem free, however I can't get the RootG300.exe to work. When cmd opens the root process begins but then I just get a series of "error: device not found" and it exits.

Any advice?

Edited by MeatGrowBrain

Hmm I got to the re-root section problem free, however I can't get the RootG300.exe to work. When cmd opens the root process begins but then I just get a series of "error: device not found" and it exits.

Any advice?

That's weird you didn't get an error on the first root, but you are on the re-root. Make sure USB debugging is enabled and try plugging your phone into another USB port. Try restarting your phone and computer.

You can try rooting using the first root method again, but you will still probably get the error.

Let me know if and how you solve it.

Edited by Guest

Guest Gabriel94

or install hisuite from huawei, it contains all drivers

Edit:

Oh sorry for not seeing the download link, i didnt open the spoiler.

Installed infusion and its great, thanks guys!

Edited by Gabriel94

Guest JacksEcho

I literally have no idea what I'm doing so being explained to like a five year old is perfect.

It seemed to be rooted doing it on mac, I get through stage 3 all the way to step 13 perfectly, open supersu and it says "su binary not found"

so obviously I've gone wrong somewhere I just dont know where.

Guest MeatGrowBrain

That's weird you didn't get an error on the first root, but you are on the re-root. Make sure USB debugging is enabled and try plugging your phone into another USB port. Try restarting your phone and computer.

You can try rooting using the first root method again, but you will still probably get the error.

Let me know if and how you solve it.

Restarted and still no joy, switched to a different USB port and it worked; many thanks for the suggestions.

I literally have no idea what I'm doing so being explained to like a five year old is perfect.

It seemed to be rooted doing it on mac, I get through stage 3 all the way to step 13 perfectly, open supersu and it says "su binary not found"

so obviously I've gone wrong somewhere I just dont know where.

Hi, is there an update button when you get the message "su binary not found"?

Guest JacksEcho

Hi, is there an update button when you get the message "su binary not found"?

Nope, I installed supersu it comes up "there is no SU Binary installed, and super su cannot install it. this is a problem!" and it doesn't load from there, and I also installed superuser and it says "su binary not found" with no option to update either program.

Nope, I installed supersu it comes up "there is no SU Binary installed, and super su cannot install it. this is a problem!" and it doesn't load from there, and I also installed superuser and it says "su binary not found" with no option to update either program.

Try the alternative root method n the same page. Click "My baseband is 2030 and I am using Mac"

Pages 3 and 4 aren't entirely necessary, they are more of a precaution in case something goes wrong. So if you still can't get it to work, you may want to skip straight to page 5.

Guest JacksEcho

Try the alternative root method n the same page. Click "My baseband is 2030 and I am using Mac"

Pages 3 and 4 aren't entirely necessary, they are more of a precaution in case something goes wrong. So if you still can't get it to work, you may want to skip straight to page 5.

In the 2030 method it comes up "no such file or directory" when I put in the chmod commands, on a scale of one to ten how likely am I to kill my phone if I just skip to 5 and if i do go to 5 should i revert to the original 109808 directions or the 2030. ideally I'd like to be as safe as possible as there is quite a high likelyhood of me doing something wrong.

In the 2030 method it comes up "no such file or directory" when I put in the chmod commands, on a scale of one to ten how likely am I to kill my phone if I just skip to 5 and if i do go to 5 should i revert to the original 109808 directions or the 2030. ideally I'd like to be as safe as possible as there is quite a high likelyhood of me doing something wrong.

Did you download the new zip, extract it and point the terminal to the folder? If you could paste the terminal log that would be great. I can't see why you are getting "no such file or directory" as I just checked the script and it points to the right directory and has the right files.

Well, the chances of killing your phone are low. But figure out why you are getting "no such file or directory" first. After you have finished page 5 you can backup your IMEI, so you can do this page order:

5, 4, 6, 7

Edited by Guest

Thanks to all who have contributed to the guides on this site.

I have been following the guide by beggin (http://huaweig300.co...m-from-scratch/) and have hit a wall part way through.

What I have:

* Huawei Ascend G300 U8815.

* Vodafone Australia.

* Windows XP (don’t have ready access to anything else).

* Android version 2.3.6.

* Baseband version 109808.

* Kernal version 2.6.38.6-perf

* Build number U8815-51V100R001C346B893

What I’ve done (following guide):

* USB drivers installed OK.

* Rooted OK.

* Backup IMEI OK.

* Downloaded ics-b936-update.zip OK.

* Failed on ‘Page 5’ – SD card upgrade (unpacked ok – part 1; failed on install – part 2).

A log file sd_update.log written to my dload directory says this:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

new partition program is diffrent with current used .

new partition is ok, update begin...

new partition program failed.

update new partition failed.

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = PARTITION

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

OEMSBL_VER_LIST,is_rx_finish=0,is_operate_succ=1,current_operate=2

call dload_machine data process failed,module = QCSBLHD_CFGDATA

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xf0000000, len_tmp=0x2524

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Phone still seems to be working (though when the update fails, I have to pull the battery, which unnerves me ever so slightly).

Now I gather from reading some posts that for some releases of ICS one must first upgrade to an intermediate ICS (at least that’s what it seems like). What confuses me a little is the guide appears to be telling me to go from GB to ICS B936, without any intermediate transition. Then later, I’m meant to flash it again with a ROM chosen from this site.

Until now my experience was limited to rooting phones.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by ratbag

Guest pinemarten

I am really new to this so excuse my very basic question. I dont know how to this part, i know it seems like its explained but I have never even seen this part on my Mac before.

From your computer, open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and point it to the folder Root Gingerbread Mac.

I get as far as the cmd page(if thats whats its called on mac) but dont know what to type to point it in the direction of the folder.

Thanks in advance.

I am really new to this so excuse my very basic question. I dont know how to this part, i know it seems like its explained but I have never even seen this part on my Mac before.

From your computer, open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and point it to the folder Root Gingerbread Mac.

I get as far as the cmd page(if thats whats its called on mac) but dont know what to type to point it in the direction of the folder.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a Mac, but here's an article that should help you. See the Navigating the Terminal section:

http://smokingapples.com/software/tutorials/mac-terminal-tips/

If you still need help just Google "How to Mac terminal"

Thank you very much for your guide.

I'm slightly familiar with linux and generally good with computers but this is my first Android and well, starting off was very VERY confusing!

Your guide made things very clear.

Bravo!

Guest oldfella

following your steps fine from Step 4 as I already have drivers installed on Win 7 64 bit as was running CM9

installed the upgrade fine, and the root and bootloader worked.

now I cant get clockwork loaded as I am getting device not found.

tried running fastboot devices and its not seeing the phone

after the bootloader I think I saw Windows flash up something about loading device drivers for a Linux type device

any help appreciated - thank you