Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

following your steps fine from Step 4 as I already have drivers installed on Win 7 64 bit as was running CM9

installed the upgrade fine, and the root and bootloader worked.

now I cant get clockwork loaded as I am getting device not found.

tried running fastboot devices and its not seeing the phone

after the bootloader I think I saw Windows flash up something about loading device drivers for a Linux type device

any help appreciated - thank you

There's an important part in the Install the USB drivers section where you have to change the driver update settings in Windows. Unplug your phone, follow the instructions on the page (you do NOT need to reinstall the drivers again) and plug your phone in again. Windows will then automatically download and install any missing drivers.

Edited by Guest

Guest oldfella

thanks for the response - tried that, it doesnt seem to be happening, I had previously tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, including the device properties

what is odd is that when I connect the phone and before clicking USB connect, ie in what should be ADB mode

Windows is seeing drive F which is the section on the phone with the ADB drivers

thanks for the response - tried that, it doesnt seem to be happening, I had previously tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, including the device properties

what is odd is that when I connect the phone and before clicking USB connect, ie in what should be ADB mode

Windows is seeing drive F which is the section on the phone with the ADB drivers

What exact step can you not perform from the guide? Are you getting an error message?

Guest oldfella

I have installed ICS, rooted and done the bootloader

when I try clockworkmod I get waiting for device

fastboot is similarly not seeing the phone

but Windows 7 64 bit is seeing drive F called Mobile Partner which includes the Handset drivers

when I USB connect I see the other 2 drives

I have installed ICS, rooted and done the bootloader

when I try clockworkmod I get waiting for device

fastboot is similarly not seeing the phone

but Windows 7 64 bit is seeing drive F called Mobile Partner which includes the Handset drivers

when I USB connect I see the other 2 drives

Any chance you can post a picture of your phone when you try to install ClockworkMod? Also, have you tried unplugging your phone during waiting for device and plugging it into another USB port on the back of your computer? How long are you stuck on waiting for device?

Edited by Guest

Guest oldfella

Any chance you can post a picture of your phone when you try to install ClockworkMod? Also, have you tried unplugging your phone during waiting for device and plugging it into another USB port on the back of your computer? How long are you stuck on waiting for device?

all done - thank you. Last night the boot into recovery to install clockworkmod was producing a pink screen, this morning it was the logo and the install worked immediately.

thank you for your help and the time it must have taken to prepare all the instructions !

Guest Copperface

I have got as far as trying to install the upgrade from the sd card. All I get is Firmware updated failed.

I am currently on B888 and GB 2.3.6. using Windows 7 64.

Somewhere it does mention that I should apply all interim firmware updates before the ICS upgrade.

Can anyone give me a list and location of the firmware upgrades I should apply before I try the ICS one please?

Thanks.

Guest poliacido

Hi beggin

i want to say thank you for this post, and as a noob, it really helped me to understand how updating/root works, since i am new at android devices :) , but i still have some things to understand.

My phone actually runs on B884, baseband 109808 and it is from Vodafone IT

Now i have some questions for you guys before i start upgrading my G300, hope you can help me:

1: is there a way to full backup this configuration? In case i want to get it back in the same way, with same Gingerbread version, when i bought it. Maybe you can do it with any of thoose applications you use?

2:i read in other guides that i have to upgrade to B892 (from B884) before going for ICS, because i get some important fixes. Can instead go directly B884 ---> B936?

Because i tried updating by OTA but i dont get any update available... maybe here in italy we dont get updates.. i have no idea :( .

In other threads i read also that can occour problems about HSPA protocol if you dont upgrade to B892, is that correct or i just got it wrong??

3: the ICS release you posted (B936) is the Vodafone branded one? i hope it is the clear release. And does it support multiple languages or english only?

Thanks for anyone can help me, sorry for noob questions and for bad english :)

Guest anotherbob

Very grateful for the step-by-step explanation. I used to be a Primary School Teacher and I know how hard it is to explain something difficult you take for granted in simple terms.

I now have ICS installed, I'm rooted and ready to load a custom ROM.

However I want to be sure I load one which will cure the Ringer Volume problem. I'm a bit deaf (Primary School Teaching!!) and really struggle to hear my phone ringing. Can someone point me to a ROM which will deal with this problem.

The Build number of my phone is U8815V100R001C02B936

Baseband 2030

Android Versin 4.0.3

Guest br1cklayer

Hi,

As an under-5, may I ask whether it's necessary to have an activated sim card and airtime in order to root and install ICS? I have wifi for web access, if that would do. Thanks.

Hi beggin

i want to say thank you for this post, and as a noob, it really helped me to understand how updating/root works, since i am new at android devices :) , but i still have some things to understand.

My phone actually runs on B884, baseband 109808 and it is from Vodafone IT

Now i have some questions for you guys before i start upgrading my G300, hope you can help me:

1: is there a way to full backup this configuration? In case i want to get it back in the same way, with same Gingerbread version, when i bought it. Maybe you can do it with any of thoose applications you use?

2:i read in other guides that i have to upgrade to B892 (from B884) before going for ICS, because i get some important fixes. Can instead go directly B884 ---> B936?

Because i tried updating by OTA but i dont get any update available... maybe here in italy we dont get updates.. i have no idea :( .

In other threads i read also that can occour problems about HSPA protocol if you dont upgrade to B892, is that correct or i just got it wrong??

3: the ICS release you posted (B936) is the Vodafone branded one? i hope it is the clear release. And does it support multiple languages or english only?

Thanks for anyone can help me, sorry for noob questions and for bad english :)

1 It's possible, but it's risky. You will have to install ClockworkMod Recovery whilst you are running Gingerbread, do a full backup through ClockworkMod Recovery and save it somewhere on your computer. Once you install ICS, it's very risky to downgrade back to Gingerbread. In all honestly, I can't see why you would want to go back to Gingerbread as ICS it's so much better with the G300.

2. It should work it you go straight to B936. If it doesn't, the worst that will happen is you will get "update failed" during it. You will have to remove and reinsert the battery, but nothing will be lost.

3. It's the New Zeland Vodafone one. It's the same as the UK one. Multiple languages, including Italiano. There are no actual Vodafone apps or skinning. It's pure, Google ICS. There are a few Huawei apps preinstalled, but that's it.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

As an under-5, may I ask whether it's necessary to have an activated sim card and airtime in order to root and install ICS? I have wifi for web access, if that would do. Thanks.

You do not need a SIM card or airtime. Wi-Fi only will work fine.

Guest poliacido

1 It's possible, but it's risky. You will have to install ClockworkMod Recovery whilst you are running Gingerbread, do a full backup through ClockworkMod Recovery and save it somewhere on your computer. Once you install ICS, it's very risky to downgrade back to Gingerbread. In all honestly, I can't see why you would want to go back to Gingerbread as ICS it's so much better with the G300.

2. It should work it you go straight to B936. If it doesn't, the worst that will happen is you will get "update failed" during it. You will have to remove and reinsert the battery, but nothing will be lost.

3. It's the New Zeland Vodafone one. It's the same as the UK one. Multiple languages, including Italiano. There are no actual Vodafone apps or skinning. It's pure, Google ICS. There are a few Huawei apps preinstalled, but that's it.

thanks beggin, so i will go updating directly to your relese... maybe i will try also a custom rom ;)

From what i read in your guide i have to put original ICS before installing a custom ics rom? Cant flash custom rom directly?

bye

thanks beggin, so i will go updating directly to your relese... maybe i will try also a custom rom

From what i read in your guide i have to put original ICS before installing a custom ics rom? Cant flash custom rom directly?

bye

Yep, you read right. You need to install the official ICS first as this is the only way to get your baseband from 109808 to 2030.

Edited by Guest

Guest poliacido

Yep, you read right. You need to install the official ICS first as this is the only way to get your baseband from 109808 to 2030.

Just installed and works very fine! Thanks again :D

But i have another question:

where you explain how to put a custom rom you say also to download another file ( gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip), what is that for? i didnt see in other posts that file, they just put the zip and flash with CWM

bye

Guest Copperface

I have got as far as trying to install the B936 upgrade from the sd card. All I get is 'Firmware update failed'

I am currently on B888 and GB 2.3.6. using Windows 7 64 and the baseband is 109808.

Somewhere it does mention that I should apply all interim firmware updates before the ICS upgrade.

Can anyone give me a list and location of the firmware upgrades I should apply before I try the ICS one please?

Thanks.

Guest glossywhite

F6zTU.png

After a few requests, I decided to make a few simple to read, easy to follow guides on installing custom ROMs, official ICS updates, rooting & more. They go into great detail and are written with everyone in mind, regardless of your computer or Android knowledge / skill. Even a 5 year could follow them! If you have any questions, spot a mistake or have a suggestion, let me know. My email is [email protected]

How to install a custom Jelly Bean / ICS ROM from scratch

How to install the official ICS update

How to root

Thank you! Well done! :)

You have accomplished something most geeks seem totally incapable of doing; making a SIMPLE, easy to read and well formatted, non-fragmented tutorial, that assumes nothing of the reader, and one which is written in plain, simple and well articulated English. There should be assigned tutorial writers, to whom ALL tutorials are delegated. This is why Apple succeed - their geeks stick to what they're good at - code, and their UI and graphic designers/font experts each do what they're good at, and not much else.

It also helps not to assume anything of the person reading your tutorial. It's great that you, the writer, have had the experiences about which you are teaching us, but to assume that same knowledge and the dictionary of associated acronyms of a total beginner is foolhardy at best.

Bad design goes far beyond terrible UIs on a platform; a tutorial is as good as having never been written, if you do not convey instructions to the reader in simple (but not condescending) terms, coupled with an intelligent, simple, aesthetically pleasing and intuitively arranged formatting of the page.

Also, it always helps to have a natural sense of wit, as good humour - so long as not gratuitous or done to death, always makes one wish to come back for more... and to recommend you to others. Acute wit is memorable, and makes you stand out far from the rest of the dullard tutorials, even apart from the technical content alone!

Life is simple, honesty even simpler. Stick to those basics, and you'll always win!

I commend you! Here ends my puff of wind! :)

God bless you!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest accuador

Hi!

I have problem with step 5, as ratbag.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the guides on this site.

I have been following the guide by beggin (http://huaweig300.co...m-from-scratch/) and have hit a wall part way through.

What I have:

* Huawei Ascend G300 U8815.

* Vodafone Australia.

* Windows XP (don’t have ready access to anything else).

* Android version 2.3.6.

* Baseband version 109808.

* Kernal version 2.6.38.6-perf

* Build number U8815-51V100R001C346B893

What I’ve done (following guide):

* USB drivers installed OK.

* Rooted OK.

* Backup IMEI OK.

* Downloaded ics-b936-update.zip OK.

* Failed on ‘Page 5’ – SD card upgrade (unpacked ok – part 1; failed on install – part 2).

A log file sd_update.log written to my dload directory says this:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

new partition program is diffrent with current used .

new partition is ok, update begin...

new partition program failed.

update new partition failed.

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = PARTITION

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

OEMSBL_VER_LIST,is_rx_finish=0,is_operate_succ=1,current_operate=2

call dload_machine data process failed,module = QCSBLHD_CFGDATA

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

QCSBLHD_CFGDATA fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xf0000000, len_tmp=0x2524

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Phone still seems to be working (though when the update fails, I have to pull the battery, which unnerves me ever so slightly).

Now I gather from reading some posts that for some releases of ICS one must first upgrade to an intermediate ICS (at least that’s what it seems like). What confuses me a little is the guide appears to be telling me to go from GB to ICS B936, without any intermediate transition. Then later, I’m meant to flash it again with a ROM chosen from this site.

Until now my experience was limited to rooting phones.

Any help appreciated.

My build number is U8815V100R001C185B894.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks.

Guest marko.nadjevic

Updated the root script. Hopefully this will fix the problem where Superuser does not show.

Also, bat scripts and zips removed for rooting, unlocking bootloader and installing clockworkmod. Replaced with single exe files that you can download and run. (Windows only)

RootG300.exe

BootloaderG300.exe

ClockworkG300.exe

If the new root method is still not working for anyone, please let me know, with details.

Hello beggin,

I have tried a method on http://huaweig300.com but I'm stuck with the problem.

Installing USB drivers/Root/Backup IMEI went OK. Then by mistake I skipped the Step on page 5. Check Baseband and kept continued by Bootloader & ClockworkMod all went OK until the step 10. On page 6. After executing BootloaderG300.exe the phone rebooting cyclically, Huawei screen appear for a approximately one second and the phone restarts again. Is there any hope to return to official ROM?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

Hello beggin,

I have tried a method on http://huaweig300.com but I'm stuck with the problem.

Installing USB drivers/Root/Backup IMEI went OK. Then by mistake I skipped the Step on page 5. Check Baseband and kept continued by Bootloader & ClockworkMod all went OK until the step 10. On page 6. After executing BootloaderG300.exe the phone rebooting cyclically, Huawei screen appear for a approximately one second and the phone restarts again. Is there any hope to return to official ROM?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

I think you will be able to get your phone back. You need to get a USB microSD reader if you don't already have one (they can be purchased for less than £1 on eBay), or you can use another phone with a microSD slot. Then, download B936 ICS Update, extract it and copy the dload folder to your microSD card. Then put the microSD card in your phone. Remove the battery from your phone and reinsert it. Then, hold the Volume up, Volume down and Power on button simultaneously. This will perform the update. Make sure you delete the dload folder from the microSD card after the update.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by Guest