Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

can someone help and upload it somewhere reasonable, I just get:

error_zps4f068c09.jpg

can someone PM me and so i could ask to email files to me?

back to the stone age..

Edited by siqass

Guest john_wayne

Hello everyone

Spent a couple of hours now trying to update my G300 from gingerbread to the ICS update using the guide - unfortuantly I must be only four years old as it does not work for me.

Rooted ok and superuser shows in the app list.

Followed the guide and got the 'update failed' error message.

Followed the troubleshooting guide regarding the mid upgrade - that says 'update successful and then the phone reboots as expected.

Copy the ICS rom to my Sd card again and follow the installation steps but I get the 'update failed' message again.

Tried to update my last phone which was an LG without luck as well - thanks for taking the time to read my first post!!

And for the expert advice that I see you all have.

Hello.

My phone is a mess. I tried every method of rooting the phone, but i cant seem to make it right.

Using the Unlock root 2.4.2 and trying to root the program says "Your deviec is already rooted. Do you want root again?" so i rooted again, but still no superuser app, I unrooted using the same program, rooted again and it still says the devive is already rooted.

In previous atempts with unlockbootloader.exe in the comand prompt i could see the script running and almost at the end, it says "write: No space left on device". I dont know if this is normal.

I tried everything.

Can anybody help?

Guest wishiwasfishin

First off, thanks for an amazingly clear and understandable guide. I'm not in my first flush of youth, and this was soooo easy to follow!

All went well, until it came to the bit about finding a ROM to install.

Not really knowing what to look for, all I could find that looked ok was the infusion ROM. It installed no problems, but with the greatest respect to the ROM author, I am now wishing for the good old days of Vodabloat.

The original Android setup, as out of the box from Vodaphone, worked fine, albeit with stuff I was never going to use on the new giffgaff sim. Please bear in mind this is my first excursion into smart phones, so I realise I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone please tell me -

What are the advantages of the upgrade to ICS? I have just done it because it seemed sensible to do it at the same time as cleaning up the Vodaphone stuff.

Is there a better ROM? One that is just generic ICS, for example (is there such a thing?), ideally without the logo in the middle of the screen.

How do I populate the new ICS with basic apps, such as calendar, settings, etc? Sorry, I really know nothing about all this.

Grateful thanks in advance from someone who is clearly less smart than my phone!

Guest Feahnor

I tried to root my ICS G300 (B944) and when i ran rootg300.exe it said

HuaweiG300.com

Beginning root process...

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

error: more than one device and emulator

and then it closes. My phone has the 2030 baseband and the drivers are installed.

Guest Smoking_Gun

Well..

HUAWEI ascend g300

Build no B892

Baseband 109808

Windows XP - updated drivers

Trying to upgrade to ICS B936

I have followed all the ( Great ) instructions on how to upgrade to ICS but when I come to extract the file in section 5 from the b936 update link I get a message "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

I have followed all the instructions fine up to this point.

I the tried another link Which worked & produced a zip file.

When this was extracted it produced two folders , META-INF & SYSTEM.

I copied the SYSTEM folder & did the software upgrade but got a message saying the upgrade package is not detected.

I copied the update app in but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong ?

Maybe I should ask a five year old to help me (lol).

Hello everyone

Spent a couple of hours now trying to update my G300 from gingerbread to the ICS update using the guide - unfortuantly I must be only four years old as it does not work for me.

Rooted ok and superuser shows in the app list.

Followed the guide and got the 'update failed' error message.

Followed the troubleshooting guide regarding the mid upgrade - that says 'update successful and then the phone reboots as expected.

Copy the ICS rom to my Sd card again and follow the installation steps but I get the 'update failed' message again.

Tried to update my last phone which was an LG without luck as well - thanks for taking the time to read my first post!!

And for the expert advice that I see you all have.

That's weird. Try doing a factory reset on your phone through the Settings, and then try again.

First off, thanks for an amazingly clear and understandable guide. I'm not in my first flush of youth, and this was soooo easy to follow!

All went well, until it came to the bit about finding a ROM to install.

Not really knowing what to look for, all I could find that looked ok was the infusion ROM. It installed no problems, but with the greatest respect to the ROM author, I am now wishing for the good old days of Vodabloat.

The original Android setup, as out of the box from Vodaphone, worked fine, albeit with stuff I was never going to use on the new giffgaff sim. Please bear in mind this is my first excursion into smart phones, so I realise I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone please tell me -

What are the advantages of the upgrade to ICS? I have just done it because it seemed sensible to do it at the same time as cleaning up the Vodaphone stuff.

Is there a better ROM? One that is just generic ICS, for example (is there such a thing?), ideally without the logo in the middle of the screen.

How do I populate the new ICS with basic apps, such as calendar, settings, etc? Sorry, I really know nothing about all this.

Grateful thanks in advance from someone who is clearly less smart than my phone!

ICS is meant to be faster and better than Gingerbread. If you want a generic ROM, just install the official Huawei ROM here. (click "

I want to install the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update").

As for Settings, you can access it by sliding the notifications down and clicking the Settings icon (the icon next to the date in this screenshot.)

The official ROM will come with all the basic apps. If you want to use a custom ROM with official apps, flash gaaps as shown in the guide.

Edited by Guest

Well..

HUAWEI ascend g300

Build no B892

Baseband 109808

Windows XP - updated drivers

Trying to upgrade to ICS B936

I have followed all the ( Great ) instructions on how to upgrade to ICS but when I come to extract the file in section 5 from the b936 update link I get a message "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

I have followed all the instructions fine up to this point.

I the tried another link Which worked & produced a zip file.

When this was extracted it produced two folders , META-INF & SYSTEM.

I copied the SYSTEM folder & did the software upgrade but got a message saying the upgrade package is not detected.

I copied the update app in but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong ?

Maybe I should ask a five year old to help me (lol).

Create a folder called dload on your sdcard and put update.app in it.

I tried to root my ICS G300 (B944) and when i ran rootg300.exe it said

HuaweiG300.com

Beginning root process...

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

and then it closes. My phone has the 2030 baseband and the drivers are installed.

Search error: more than one device and emulator on Google. It appears there may be software on your computer that is causing this error. If it still doesn't work try another computer.

Guest lighters

Thanks for the very helpful guide!

Worked a treat which helped me install the latest version of infusion.

Only place I was a little confused was when downloadion the infusion rom as I wasnt sure whether to leave it .rarred and I accidently tried to install from the "phones" sd card not my sd card as the ome on images was 2gb I got confused.

Guest discosteve

I know you have been thanks many times and deservedly so but here's another one - thank you beggin! With your great guide i managed to successfully upgrade from GB to ICS. And with the help of some other people on this site I managed to get the Huawei weather app back as well!!

It's a shame that not everyone is as clear and helpful with their instructions when people are asking for help. You treated me like a five year old and that's what I needed. Not to be spoken down to or made to feel stupid but for the instructions to be written in 'plain everyday' English.

Thanks,

Stephen

Guest myoldboots

Got fed up waiting for Vodafone to get their act together so followed this guide and installed ICS 5 days ago, and

it worked perefectly well first time of asking. Battery life has improved and does work very well for me - might get braver

and install a custom ROM one day, but this is good enough for me for the time being.

Many Thanks for the guide and keep up the good work.

Guest Buffalo Soldier

Can someone please tell me is it safe to install CWM after page 4 in this guide, cause I want to backup my stock Gingerbread?

I'm afraid that if I do this I won't be able to change my baseband from 109808 to 2030, like the guide says.

Or should I just flash the original recovery over CWM when I'm done with backing up my Ginger and continue with page 5?

Thanks....

Guest naefunk

I have followed the instructions to the letter. Everything has worked fine but I cannot find this SuperU app anywhere? Someone else asked about this and was just told to use rootunlocker but that is not a solution. It's just another rooting mechanism and that d/l wont work for me anyway. Everything appears to have worked fine. I just can't find the app anywhere? I have tried restarting pc and phone and redoing the procedure, using different USB etc etc and nothing. Is there a solution to this?

I have followed the instructions to the letter. Everything has worked fine but I cannot find this SuperU app anywhere? Someone else asked about this and was just told to use rootunlocker but that is not a solution. It's just another rooting mechanism and that d/l wont work for me anyway. Everything appears to have worked fine. I just can't find the app anywhere? I have tried restarting pc and phone and redoing the procedure, using different USB etc etc and nothing. Is there a solution to this?

If you mean SuperSU, the app which lets you deny or grant root access, then you can download it from the Google Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en

Guest naefunk

Thanks for the fast reply. It turns out it didn't work fine. I hadn't rooted at all. I didn't realise that the bootloader stops the the device from starting up, keeping it on the Huawei logo before the splash animation. I cannot make that happen. Holding down power on and volume down. Tried many times with different combinations of having power held down slightly longer, volume down held slightly longer, holding both forever, shutting down phone with cable attached, removing cable then battery, keeping battery out for 15 seconds - then trying, taking out battery 1st then cable, just yanking out the battery, having fast boot on, having fast boot off, DEBUGGING ALWAYS ON adimttedly but that is required from what I understand. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Everything else is fine. I have the drivers, Win 7 64 recognises the device, I can put it into recovery mode and restart it, I can d/l SuperSu and Super User. I just can't get it to go into bootloader. I have been very patiently using all my problem and puzzle solving skills to figure this out all day but I'm coming to the conclusion that my volume down key could be faulty, a suspicion generated by the known bug with this key anyway.

Please help.

Guest naefunk

To anyone having t

Thanks for the fast reply. It turns out it didn't work fine. I hadn't rooted at all. I didn't realise that the bootloader stops the the device from starting up, keeping it on the Huawei logo before the splash animation. I cannot make that happen. Holding down power on and volume down. Tried many times with different combinations of having power held down slightly longer, volume down held slightly longer, holding both forever, shutting down phone with cable attached, removing cable then battery, keeping battery out for 15 seconds - then trying, taking out battery 1st then cable, just yanking out the battery, having fast boot on, having fast boot off, DEBUGGING ALWAYS ON adimttedly but that is required from what I understand. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Everything else is fine. I have the drivers, Win 7 64 recognises the device, I can put it into recovery mode and restart it, I can d/l SuperSu and Super User. I just can't get it to go into bootloader. I have been very patiently using all my problem and puzzle solving skills to figure this out all day but I'm coming to the conclusion that my volume down key could be faulty, a suspicion generated by the known bug with this key anyway.

Please help.

Anyone having this problem, it's just a matter of patience. After two days of trying it worked. Faulty volume key maybe? Patience is the trick. I think some handsets just have this issue. It will work eventually.