Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Guest theshao

Beggin you're a star, cheers dude, most useful. Initially thought I'd bricked the phone after missing step 5, but recovered by putting the dload folder onto SD card and rebooting with both volume buttons held down Don't know if a mirror's still required, but have loads of bw available and all the rooting files stored here:

http://g300.marcusltd.co.uk/ - All the root/unlock files are there, and the larger firmwares are downloading now, will be there shortly.

Beggin if you want more hosting, or conversely want me to take this mirror down, give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Edit: I should clarify, by "missing step 5" what actually happened was I got to step 5, had to reboot the computer and when I came back to the tutorial, I looked at the contents, saw "5 - Check your baseband" and thought "I've done that, it was 109808, let's proceed to step 6", without realising step 5 involved upgrading if at 109808. And the result was a phone that shows the Huawei logo for about 3 seconds when turned on then reboots and repeats - same result with either volume button pressed down, and a pink screen with both pressed. To fix it, I donwloaded the file ics-b936-update.zip, extracted the folder "dload" that it contained and placed it on the root of my SD card. Then I inserted the card in the phone, and powered on with volume up + volume down pressed, at which point it found the dload folder and installed the b936 FW from the card, and all was well :)

Edited by theshao

Guest tomcat_

This is fantastic guide well done. I followed to the letter and had no probs installing ICS and rooting the device.

At the end of the guide the suggestion is to install a custom ROM and not the official update 944.

Since this phone is for a present for a person who doesn't have any experience with an android or touch screen phone before, i would like to install something really simple with basic applications.

Any suggestions pls?

Thanks

Guest glogi01

best regards

I'm trying to "stuck" on step 4 (back up IMEI) Page 4 of 8 - Huawei G300 - Install a custom Jelly Bean / ICS ROM from scratch

I want to make a back up, I do everything according to the instructions, but when I watch folder (5irom)

he is 0 kb??? (see picture bears)

I dalli properly done?

if I could go to the next step?

g300c.jpg

forgive my bad english: ;(

Guest top_score

This is fantastic guide well done. I followed to the letter and had no probs installing ICS and rooting the device.

At the end of the guide the suggestion is to install a custom ROM and not the official update 944.

Since this phone is for a present for a person who doesn't have any experience with an android or touch screen phone before, i would like to install something really simple with basic applications.

Any suggestions pls?

Thanks

to be honest the custom firmware is similar to official. you don't need to be tech savy to use them. they have a few options not on official, overall I think they just offer a better user experience (damn I sound like a sales rep)

the only "problem" is cfw tend to be updated more often, but this is not a bad thing.

if you use infusion by tillaz, or stock+ rom by Cyda then you won't go far wrong.

Cyda rom is probably closest to stock, before you install either check through both threads to see problems and issues, also good feedback. but you will see problems with stock to but I think most people run cfw so stock problems are probably under reported.

Guest andy009

@Beggin,

I have recently installed the OTA ICS update via vodaphone and followed your guide on how to root my phone, I have done it with no problems what so ever. As other people have pointed out this guide was written clearly in a minimal and a reductionist fashion, which was easy to understand. I cant wait to start using my phone more effectivley. Anyways thank you very much, u deserve a pint and a medal...lol

Cheers,

Andy.

Guest glogi01

ok, I solved the problem ... :)

I installed (I want to install the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update

now the B944.

now everything is ok :) (I hope)

Thanks and greetings from Croatian

PS:whether it happens to anyone else, etc;

to google store ... crashes every 15sec????

Edited by glogi01

Guest Khanage

I have a problem, after trying to install the custom rom on the last step, I was left with my phone stuck on the huawei logo and could not get out of it. Now I can still boot into clockworkmod recovery mode, however my phone does not start up and any stock rom updates i have tried, including the middle update, all fail with a pink bar at about half way on my phone.

Please help!

the report from my last update attempt:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER_LIST,is_rx_finish=0,is_operate_succ=1,current_operate=2

call dload_machine data process failed,module = OEMSBL_VER

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xe9000000, len_tmp=0x19

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

I have a problem, after trying to install the custom rom on the last step, I was left with my phone stuck on the huawei logo and could not get out of it. Now I can still boot into clockworkmod recovery mode, however my phone does not start up and any stock rom updates i have tried, including the middle update, all fail with a pink bar at about half way on my phone.

Please help!

the report from my last update attempt:

filename = /mmc1/dload/update.app

call RCV_MODULE_END_EVENT failed,module = OEMSBL_VER_LIST

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

OEMSBL_VER fail.

CMD=0xf,moduleaddr = 0xe9000000, len_tmp=0x19

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Did you following pages 1 - 8 from the guide? Is yes, try the following:

1. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
  2. Select advanced
  3. Select Wipe Dalvik Cache
  4. Select Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache
  5. Once complete, press the Back / Return button.
  6. Select wipe data/factory reset
  7. Select Yes -- delete all user data
  8. Once complete, select wipe cache partition
  9. Select Yes- Wipe Cache
  10. Select reboot system now

If that still doesn't fix the problem, put the official ICS update on your SD card and follow I want to install the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update. You might need a microSD card reader to copy the zip to the SD card (£1 from eBay) or if you have another phone with a microSD card, you can use that.

Guest Khanage

Im sure I have tried wiping everything but that hasn't helped either. I haven't however tried the recovery flash so I will report back once I have, Thanks

Guest Sa1nt_s0ld1er

There is no official ICS update available for my region, so I wanted to install the official ICS ROM by using this method. I had a few doubts regarding this.

1. When I click on storage under setting it shows and Internal storgae of 653Mb and also shows internal Micro SD card, in which available space is 1.93Gb. SO i wanted to ask do I need to buy a Micro SD card, or the internal Micro SD card would be enough, and are there any precautions that need to be taken while doing this procedure on the internal SD card.

2. Also if suppose official update is released at a later date for my region as well, if after having done this procedure and being on the official ICS version, upgrading via the update software option cause any problems, or this should not be done in any case ..

Edited by Sa1nt_s0ld1er

Guest celahudini

Well I tried using this method and I think I got my phone bricked. I got to step 3,the phone froze on the splash screen as it should when presing vol- and the power button.I connect the phone to the pc (all drivers installed ofc) and run GingerbreadRoot.exe. In cmd I get the message Sending Recovery Okay, Writing Recovery Okay and then cmd closes. Then I remove the battery for a while and hold volume+ and the power button to get to recovery. I do get to the recovery but as soon it starts I get

E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)

E:Can't mount /data/fota/ipth-muc.prop

E:Can't mount /data/last_log

E:Can't open /data/last_log

After that I select Reboot system now from recovery, the phone tries to restart, I get the splash screen for a couple of seconds and then a white shiny word Android and the phone just never boots.

What should I do now?

There is no official ICS update available for my region, so I wanted to install the official ICS ROM by using this method. I had a few doubts regarding this.

1. When I click on storage under setting it shows and Internal storgae of 653Mb and also shows internal Micro SD card, in which available space is 1.93Gb. SO i wanted to ask do I need to buy a Micro SD card, or the internal Micro SD card would be enough, and are there any precautions that need to be taken while doing this procedure on the internal SD card.

2. Also if suppose official update is released at a later date for my region as well, if after having done this procedure and being on the official ICS version, upgrading via the update software option cause any problems, or this should not be done in any case ..

1. You need a microSD card. Get a cheap second hand one from eBay for around £1. No Precautions.

2 If your region/network releases an official ICS update, you will have to manually install it when someone uploads the UPDATE.APP, or someone may make a flashable zip.

Well I tried using this method and I think I got my phone bricked. I got to step 3,the phone froze on the splash screen as it should when presing vol- and the power button.I connect the phone to the pc (all drivers installed ofc) and run GingerbreadRoot.exe. In cmd I get the message Sending Recovery Okay, Writing Recovery Okay and then cmd closes. Then I remove the battery for a while and hold volume+ and the power button to get to recovery. I do get to the recovery but as soon it starts I get

After that I select Reboot system now from recovery, the phone tries to restart, I get the splash screen for a couple of seconds and then a white shiny word Android and the phone just never boots.

What should I do now?

Take out your microSD card if it's inserted. Boot into the recovery again. Select wipe data / factory reset. Then wipe cache partition. Then reboot system now. Hopefully it will boot, but it may take a few minutes. You will probably have to start the guide from scratch again, as you will lose root. Try the root procedure without the microSD card.

Edited by Guest

Guest celahudini

Take out your microSD card if it's inserted. Boot into the recovery again. Select wipe data / factory reset. Then wipe cache partition. Then reboot system now. Hopefully it will boot, but it may take a few minutes. You will probably have to start the guide from scratch again, as you will lose root. Try the root procedure without the microSD card.

Thx man U're a lifesaver.I thought the phone had got to s#!@ already.It booted up normally.Will try the procedure again without the sd card now.Thx again man

Edit:I managed to root the lil fqer,and get to the official ICS.Thx alot man for a great tutorial and thx for your fast reply

Edited by celahudini

Guest Sa1nt_s0ld1er

1. You need a microSD card. Get a cheap second hand one from eBay for around £1. No Precautions.

2 If your region/network releases an official ICS update, you will have to manually install it when someone uploads the UPDATE.APP, or someone may make a flashable zip.

Okay cool, so i just checked my region website and the ICS update is available now, but I will have to do it using a SD Card, as it is not available via Online upgrade, I have downloaded the UPDATE.APP file from the Huawei Website for my region, and also the online instruction manual which explains how to do this update.

What I wanted to ask is, that the .rar file I downloaded from My regions Huawei Site is named as HUAWEI U8815 V100R001C151B940, can anyone tell me which version of ICS this is, is it B940 ? also are people on ICS experiencing any kind of problems with the stock official ICS, or in other words, is it running smoothly on G300 ?

Also which is the most latest version of ICS available ? and why do people opt for custom Rom's over stock ICS ?

Sorry if the above questions sound like Newbie type's but this is my first Android phone, and so I really am a Newbie

Guest Phaster_89

hi everyone, i have read the guide twice but i have some questions before i actually start messing around with the phone, these are my questions:

1 - my phone is currently running the official ics update from vodafone(4.0.3), my baseband is 2030 and i have the b936 version

2 - my phone has been already rooted trough another method (i have the app Superuser), do i need to re-root trough the method on this tutorial?

3 - given the above, do i need to update to an official b944 first and then install a custom rom or can i go right ahead and install a custom rom?

Edited by Phaster_89

just one thing

i want to install cmw 6 touch version, i downloaded cwm easy installer

but i don't understand a thing, root phone after that i ahve to unlock bootloader or with cwm easy installer unlock bootloader and install recovery too?

Edited by Loki86

Guest flixblixclix

hi everyone, i have read the guide twice but i have some questions before i actually start messing around with the phone, these are my questions:

1 - my phone is currently running the official ics update from vodafone(4.0.3), my baseband is 2030 and i have the b936 version

2 - my phone has been already rooted trough another method (i have the app Superuser), do i need to re-root trough the method on this tutorial?

3 - given the above, do i need to update to an official b944 first and then install a custom rom or can i go right ahead and install a custom rom?

first root , second unlock bootloader , third cwm installar and fourth install custom rom via cwm...... tats it...... http://huaweig300.com/ link will help u if u dont get me

Guest ALiiSTAiR

Hi, my first post here, if I follow "How to install a custom Jelly Bean / ICS ROM from scratch" as far as "Re-root, unlock bootloader & install ClockworkMod Recovery" will I then be able to go onto install the MIUI ROM? Thanks.