Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Hi, my first post here, if I follow "How to install a custom Jelly Bean / ICS ROM from scratch" as far as "Re-root, unlock bootloader & install ClockworkMod Recovery" will I then be able to go onto install the MIUI ROM? Thanks.

Yes.

Guest jase_d31

A great tutorial.... I am a complete newbie to Android....However....

When I get to the bit about downloading the B936 file....I get to about 360mb of the 385mb and every time, the download gets interupted and I have to start again!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jase

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bnaxirl

Hi guys, new to this forum and while I find it very informative I also find it very intimidating. I'm on the official OTA ICS update and I find it buggy, I've followed the excellent tutorial on this page and have arrived at "how to install a custom ICS ROM", which contains a link back to the forum. This is where I come unstuck, how and where do I choose a rom, how do I know which is the best rom to choose? I really could do with the step by step details as given in the rest of the tutorial.

Hi,

New to the forum so hello.

I recently bought a g300 got it unlocked and love it, for the most part. But I want to make it faster and smoother... But I'm unsure on how to root. I use a mac, I think my main problem is not understanding terminal... Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jazzuk777

Can anyone point me to a good simple guide on how to zero my IMEI number so I can complete the free unlocking guide successfully elsewhere? I managed to unlock my G300 from Vodafone using (perhaps I should say ending up with) a new IMEI number from the guide, but lost various things like the 4-way lock, connectivity controls in the notifications folder, various bundled apps, and so forth and seemed to be stuck with the new IMEI number.

I am now back to my stock GB B895, and sadly relocked with my original IMEI number though I still have a SUser app so assume I am still rooted.

If anyone can point me to how to tackle the IMEI zeroing and restoration, or better still a one-place guide to how to complete the IMEI wizardry (I can't see how I can choose my IMEI number at any point)as part of the the free unlocking process (with good english and without missing ambiguous steps!) I'd be most grateful!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jonesian

Just got one of these as for £80 from Voda and waiting for the unlock code...simple question, can I remove all the voda bloat and update to ICS before it's unlocked, please?

I'm on giffgaff.

Thanks!

Guest pnunesc

Hi, in first place thanks for the great work making this tutorials.

I've upgraded OTA to the ICS of Vodafone (including the update) and tried to flash CM10 (and CM9), with the help of this tutorial but neither version of CM boot, the G300 justs keeps rebooting...

I have the correct baseband (2030) and tried all versions on this forum of CWM but always with the same outcome :\

Do anyone ever encounter this problem?

I've upgraded OTA to the ICS of Vodafone (including the update) and tried to flash CM10 (and CM9), with the help of this tutorial but neither version of CM boot, the G300 justs keeps rebooting...

I have the correct baseband (2030) and tried all versions on this forum of CWM but always with the same outcome :\

Do anyone ever encounter this problem?

Are you sure that you have successfully rooted/unlocked the bootloader?

I know you said that you tried different CWMs but make sure, where appropriate, to use the one recommended for the specific ROM that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps..

Guest pnunesc

I'm rooting from Linux, and used the script present in the tutorial (bootloader-g300.sh) and it didn't gave me any errors as you can see from the this log:

3024 KB/s (4194304 bytes in 1.354s)

2981 KB/s (4194304 bytes in 1.373s)

8192+0 records in

8192+0 records out

4194304 bytes transferred in 2.647 secs (1584550 bytes/sec)

8192+0 records in

8192+0 records out

4194304 bytes transferred in 1.270 secs (3302601 bytes/sec)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blairst91

Hi,

just signed up to MoDaCo to ask this question:

how do i get the imei backup file if my phone keeps telling me that the download failed?

im guessing there is a way to download the apk, (if that is what it is?) from the computer to the device.. but im not sure how.

If anybody could shed some light, i feel like im the only person with this issue, and i dont really know what to try..

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Marco Polansky

Hello!

First of all this tutorial is great, step by step how it should be.

Now, i've read the whole thread searching for an answer but culd'nt find any, so here it is:

I'm stuck on Clockworkmod. Just freezes at "waiting for device" and that's it.

I've tried rebooting my pc and my phone, tried on WinXP SP3 and Win7 32bit.

Everything goes well until the clockworkmod part.. has someone had this problem and solved it?

Thanks!

Guest DoctorBob

I'm finding I can't complete the Rooting procedure. I'm using LinuxMint 13, and baseband is 109808. I've downloaded and extracted gingerbread-g300-root-linux.zip to the desktop. Made Root Gingerbread Linux my current directory in Terminal

chmod +x root-g300.sh gives no errors

sudo ./root-g300.sh returns

./files/fastboot-linux: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Go back to the guide and follow the instructions.

Is libstdc++.so.6 contained within the files I just downloaded, or does it need to be available on my computer? It is not available in Synaptic. Do I need to add a repository to get it?

Does the fact that I get the 'Go back to the guide' mean it should be working without the lib file?

Bob

Edit :-- I've done some digging elsewhere, and I'm thinking that I'm making things hard by trying to do this with a computer running 64bit OS. libstdc++.so.6 appears to be 32bit only. I'll put a 32bit OS on the other computer tomorrow and see if that works OK. Will report back afterwards

Edit 2 :-- Yes I was right. With 32 bit LinuxMint 13 Maya it worked seamlessly after installlng libstdc++6 package.

Thanks for a great tutorial.

Can I delete the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip and custom ICS rom.zip from my SD card now?

Bob

Edited by DoctorBob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding I can't complete the Rooting procedure. I'm using LinuxMint 13, and baseband is 109808. I've downloaded and extracted gingerbread-g300-root-linux.zip to the desktop. Made Root Gingerbread Linux my current directory in Terminal

chmod +x root-g300.sh gives no errors

sudo ./root-g300.sh returns

./files/fastboot-linux: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Go back to the guide and follow the instructions.

Is libstdc++.so.6 contained within the files I just downloaded, or does it need to be available on my computer? It is not available in Synaptic. Do I need to add a repository to get it?

Does the fact that I get the 'Go back to the guide' mean it should be working without the lib file?

Bob

Edit :-- I've done some digging elsewhere, and I'm thinking that I'm making things hard by trying to do this with a computer running 64bit OS. libstdc++.so.6 appears to be 32bit only. I'll put a 32bit OS on the other computer tomorrow and see if that works OK. Will report back afterwards

Edit 2 :-- Yes I was right. With 32 bit LinuxMint 13 Maya it worked seamlessly after installlng libstdc++6 package.

Thanks for a great tutorial.

Can I delete the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip and custom ICS rom.zip from my SD card now?

Bob

Yes, you can delete all the files downloaded on your computer and phone.

Will be doing a big update on the site this week or early next.

Edited by Guest

Guest polyanderson

Hi, i'm new and not very expert in this kind of things. I'm trying to root my Huawei G300 and following the guide, but i'm stuck at the terminal part of the process. I'm running on Mac and this is what i get:

Last login: Tue Feb 26 13:16:32 on ttys000

MacBook-Pro-di-paolo-2:~ paolo$ /Users/paolo/Desktop/Root\ for\ G300\ Mac chmod +x root-g300.sh

-bash: /Users/paolo/Desktop/Root for G300 Mac: is a directory

MacBook-Pro-di-paolo-2:~ paolo$ ./root-g300.sh

I really can't understand what i'm doing wrong. If someone coulb be so kind to explain i'll be very happy.

Thanks

Guest gaijyn1981

Hello.I have use root.exe on my Huawei G300 and worked good.After that I used bootloader.exe ...all worked good until the phone had to reboot...since then it keep rebooting (at the huawei logo)...The phone doesn`t go to recovery or downloadmode...What should I do?

Sorry my bad english.

SOLVED!!!

Edited by gaijyn1981

Guest henrythedog

Just wanted to say thanks for the guide, worked a charm for me with no problems whatsoever... have rooted and flashed roms before on my htc wildfire so knew a little about what to expect. The only comment I could make is that the step for upgrading your baseband could be a little clearer, just something like "if your phone is already on baseband 2030 you CAN skip this step"... I had to read through that part just to check I hadn't missed something because of the "do not skip this step"... but nevertheless a brilliant guide. Thank you :)

Just FYI, I was running the OFW b952 with 2030... this guide helped me a great deal in installing USB drivers, unlocking the bootloader, rooting and installing CWM... I then just followed the install instructions for the ROM that I wanted to flash onto my G300... I flashed the ICS b960 R5 from Cyda and it's running great.

Guest niknah

try...

cd /Users/paolo/Desktop/Root\ for\ G300\ Mac

chmod +x root-g300.sh

./root-g300.sh

The instructions are good, I'm really glad I did it. The old 2.3 rom was so slow.

Thanks for the instructions

Hi, i'm new and not very expert in this kind of things. I'm trying to root my Huawei G300 and following the guide, but i'm stuck at the terminal part of the process. I'm running on Mac and this is what i get:

Last login: Tue Feb 26 13:16:32 on ttys000

MacBook-Pro-di-paolo-2:~ paolo$ /Users/paolo/Desktop/Root\ for\ G300\ Mac chmod +x root-g300.sh

-bash: /Users/paolo/Desktop/Root for G300 Mac: is a directory

MacBook-Pro-di-paolo-2:~ paolo$ ./root-g300.sh

I really can't understand what i'm doing wrong. If someone coulb be so kind to explain i'll be very happy.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Guest AussieExpat

I followed the guide -- brillantly clearly written, and used without citation, on the Huaweig300.com UK site set up by the phone company -- excellent guide for getting people into the ROM installation process in the first place, but what then?

I installed the CM10.1, upgrading from 2.3.6 on a Huawei g300, but now I've asked it to do an OTA upgrade to CM10.1 R3, but the file didn't download correctly, had to "re-boot" but now I'm stuck about what to do next -- I've got a working CWM Recovery interface (I presume, but ...)

Historical detail -- the phone tried to re-boot, but after leaving it for 40 minutes to do so, it remained (remains when "re-booted") on the Huawei Ascend "splashscreen" ( only those words showing, in the usual fancy font)

someone suggested entering "Mounts and Storage > mount usb storage" and then attaching the USB cable connecting the phone to the computer, to copy across the new, computer-downloaded version, ROM and starting the install from there but the computer's not recognising the phone when it gets attached

what should I do from there?

am I in the right area of the forums?

if not, where should I go?

Guest denzele

This is if you still have CMW..to check turn phone off or take battery out put it back hold volume up and power when vibrates with logo release power button hold still a bit volume buton you should enter CMW...

Download again new version of CM10.1 R3 to your pc take out micro sd card from your phone (use adapter for micro sd card or any reader if you have one ) put CM10.1 R3 zip file on your micro sd card return sd card back to phone then boot in CMW ( if u still have it you should ) do factory reset wipe cache or whatever says the install from zip choose zip from external sdcard then navigate to cm zip file and install..after that flas gapps and you good to go...

try taht let me know..