Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

Guest denzele

It's been like that for some quite time already..needs updating because even rooting and opening bootloder is old way..plus you can't access to B952 update like you said...

So i presume you want to upgrade go ICS or...?

Guest denzele

Seems like there's no one with B952 back up available since others been looking for it as well with no luck..I posted links for B944 and B933 previous ones in thread down there...

Guest alanrichey

Thanks, watcing it for your re-upoad. Just tried the original link and all sorts of warnings came up and it tried to download an exe file :D

Guest Tippon

An excellent guide, thanks :)

It may just have been my laptop, but using Vista Home Basic, I had to launch a command prompt and run the three .exe files through it, or they wouldn't do anything.

Thanks again for the guide. Just put a new ROM on my phone, and rooted the wife's phone :D

Guest telonius

Hello! I am new here and i got a couple of questions!

My previous phone was a Huawei u8800 and now i got this.

The questions i got are as follow:

1) If i install CWM and afterwards a custom rom can i safely go to a stock rom just by flashing B952 update.app ? On u8800 you just had to throw the dload folder on your sdcard hold both volume keys + power up and the bootloader would install the update and you would be back to stock. I am asking this in case i want to send it to warranty i want it to be in stock condition.

2) My phone came preinstalled with b935 though i can't find any download link for it. If i install CWM do a backup of the stock rom and again in case i need to take it to warranty restore this backup will i be able to put stock recovery back?

3) I read a lot about 3g reboots and unlocked bootloader etc. Can someone please explain me what's the situation causing this and in which roms? What do i need to take care before flashing anything?

4) For u8800 there was a guide to do a full phone backup in case you f* up really bad. The tutorial is this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1374511 does the same apply to G300?

5) Also reading about IMEI backup/restore methods. It's typical losing your IMEI to G300?

Thanks for your answers :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dalyer

3) I read a lot about 3g reboots and unlocked bootloader etc. Can someone please explain me what's the situation causing this and in which roms? What do i need to take care before flashing anything?

This is covered in more detail many times elsewhere.

Almost (or actually :)) certainly the 3G reboots are caused by the use of the GB bootloader with the 2030 baseband.

The GB bootloader is inherently unlocked while the ICS bootloader is locked.

So the GB bootloader has often been used as an unlocked bootloader in place of the ICS bootloader to allow installation of custom ROMs etc.

But it has the side effect of (for some but not all users!) causing 3G reboots.

Best bet might be to try to get an official ICS bootloader unlock code from Huawei - see here and also several other existing threads:

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Guest jbhq

Any chance your security software is blocking it?

You're right ... Ffx, Chrome, with (I thought) adblocking removed, Avant half downloaded. JDownloader reported Offline but subsequently delivered.

Tried Avant again just now which through up a big full window ad (didn't before) ... then downloaded.

Tried Ffx again and worked ok ... don't think I refreshed after switching off ads.

Cheers. I should know better than to panic.

Guest dalyer

Panic is all part of the fun in this context. :D Glad you got past that hiccup... :)

BTW - bear in mind that the original tutorial here unlocks the bootloader by installing the (inherently unlocked) GB bootloader which can cause problems when running ICS/JB. You may know this already but it's better to get a bootloader unlock code from Huawei and officially unlock the bootloader. Otherwise you can end up with problems such as 3G reboots, signal loss etc.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/

Edited by dalyer

Guest jbhq

Thnx d, will review. Managed root (I think ... the process did not run smoothly) as I was out of space and wanted Link2SD. Loadsa space now but not succeeding in uninstalling crapware.

Guest kiwijunglist

That is the most precise, complete and simple to follow set of rooting/flashing/backing up instructions I have ever seen. It should be a gold standard for other forum guides on xda/modacco. I really appreciate it.

Can you recommend a stable rom for daily use. I am currently running stock android 4.0.3 B936 and my main problem is that it is somtimes the phone is laggy when texting with swype which means a swype will get truncated halfway through swyping and I end up with two words. I wasn't sure which of the following would be best for me:

1. ICS Stock + B960 - http://www.modaco.com/topic/360947-romics-stock-rom-b960-r6-updated-06-03/

2. CM10 weekly -

3. CM10 favarooo -

4. CM9.1 weekly -

Thanks in advance

Guest kiwijunglist

Also after unlocking the bootloader i'm wondering if it is worthwhile to reverse the change and then get an unofficial unlock using adb. How common are the 3g restarts?

Guest dalyer

It seems like not everybody who does the unofficial bootloader unlock gets 3G reboots but it's hard to tell as the info is so anecdotal.

Maybe see if you get them and if you do then go back and unlock the bootloader the official way. If not then you presumably don't need to.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Doofguy

Hi there. I've followed this guide, and right now, I'm on the official b952 rom. I've been using it for a while just to get used to it, but now I want to try out a custom rom. I just want to know if it's possible to go back to b952 if I change my mind? According to the guide, you need a "recovery-flash-b952.zip" to do that, but apparently that link doesn't work any more. Googling the filename to try and find a mirror led me to this, so I'm just wondering if I could use that, instead?

Guest dalyer

Yes - you can always force update a stock update.app - e.g. B952:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/#entry2128104

You can also download stock B952 here if you have trouble with the split zip in that thread:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcwMjk=

There are also other ways to get to this or other stock ROMs (e.g. CWP repack zips instead of original update.app files) but these threads cover one way.

Hope this helps.

Guest Doofguy

That helps a lot, actually. I'll probably stick with a custom rom once I find one that I like, but it's still nice to know that if I want to go back to stock b952, it's not a one-way-street thing. With the way the guide worded it, it seemed like I needed the recovery-flash version if I wanted to go back.

Thanks for the help!