Looks like were getting screwed

Guest tcpaulh

So sedj confirms that a binary compare of the official vodafone UK update on the huawei website shows it is exactly the same as the NZ release.

This is very disappointing

Bugs include :-

ICS slowdowns (memory management?)

Apps not responding

mountpoint issues (defaulting and switching back to internal storage)

no hardware accelerated ui despite dozens of promises

broken dictionary

...and basically an OS that performs much much worse than ICS on devices with half the power eg the san francisco.

If they roll this half assed effort out OTA then I think we should make ourselves heard

Contact Huawei:-

https://twitter.com/HuaweiDevice

http://www.facebook.com/huaweideviceuk

Edited by tcpaulh

We have well and truly been screwed with update but on the bright side we have managed to have great devs working on the device and people using the device aswell... we dont even need their crappy ics update anymore ... If you can call it that <br />

Edited by mack_

Guest Redflake

If were mentioning the san francisco. It's worth remembering that had it been up to ZTE/Orange it would still been on that horrible Orange infested froyo rom.

It was only the devs on Modaco that gave us all the wonderfull roms. Plus it got official CM7 support.

In comparison we've had 4 updates for the UK version of the G300.

We may not have the best rom yet but I'm sure the devs will come up with the goods. :)

If were mentioning the san francisco. It's worth remembering that had it been up to ZTE/Orange it would still been on that horrible Orange infested froyo rom.

Even worse than that, Orange never even gave a Froyo update, the blade was stuck on Eclair (2.1).

Guest popoyaya

I get less than half the Antutu scores on my Blade, 1700 vs 3800 on my (overclocked) G300, yet the Blade feels twice as fast and smooth. Testamant to the superb developers that have worked on it the past two years. It feels like Huawei have deliberately crippled the G300's firmware to encourage upgrading. Let's hope the developers here can get this phone running at it's true potential!

Guest Colin Whiteside

I doubt they deliberately crippled it, I'd bet it's more likely they designed the thing with Gingerbread in mind and threw an ICS update in to sweeten the sales pitch without actually putting the resources aside to deal with it.

How can we test for hardware acceleration? It's obvious we don't have it though.

install chrome for android and in adress bar type : chrome://gpu-internals .... You will see what accelerations you have working ...

install chrome for android and in adress bar type : chrome://gpu-internals .... You will see what accelerations you have working ...

Ignore last comment

Was :940

Edited by b4da55

Guest Colossae3.23

thanks djuroue, that's something I didn't know

For what its worth: I have the 940 repack (daz's) and when put that into chrome, I found that Hardware acceleration is enabled in HTML, 3D, and WebGL multisampling

But it is disabled in WebGL and unavailable for Canvas

I'm also using omegamoon's kernel, which interestingly shows up as the os. I thought the rom was the os? But, I'm lost on this stuff anyway :P

Guest unaszplodrmann

They actually shipped an update with knackered dictinary support? Am surprised Google let them get away with that.

Roll on Tizen.

... Oh wait, Huawei have a stake in that too!

Does it even pass CTS

No seriously I'm going to check when I'm back

Well I'd finished downloading CTS and the media pack before Huawei pulled the release so I'm giving it a go from Windows. Phone goes crazy. It's currently doing all sorts of graphics tests. Scratch that, it's now taking pictures. Shutter going like the clappers. Fun. Oh god, now it's playing all sorts of cheesy music.

Edit:

Anyone who wants a play:-

Follow http://source.androi.../cts-intro.html

Tips

Make sure adb and java are in your path environment variable

I installed to d:\cts and made a .bat file in the android-cts/tools directory to launch it containing

java -cp ddmlib-prebuilt.jar;tradefed-prebuilt.jar;hosttestlib.jar;cts-tradefed.jar -DCTS_ROOT=D:\cts com.android.cts.tradefed.command.CtsConsole

Then from the console that pops up you can list tests with "list plans"

Then "run cts --plan xxx" where x is the test to run eg Android

Edited by tcpaulh

Did it pass tcpaul?

Still running. Currently enjoying an animated owl singing like a sparrow :-O

There have been a couple of fails in the console. Hope I can find the log at the end.

Edited by tcpaulh