Advice on storage solutions...

Guest gitf@ce

Hi... I'm thinking of buying the N7 to replace my Transformer. The only issue is the dreaded storage space and I just wondered if you guys could tell me what your best solution was? I will use the tablet for watching films mainly when I'm on the move or away and would really like to be able to store around 10 films in a decent quality encode (4-8gb). Thanks!

Not sure if I saw it on this site or another, but I use a method devised by 'thwack69', I.e. set your phone up as an ftp server and tablet as ftp client, filexpert does a beautiful job for both, and then just copy or stream files at will. You can also do the same with windows PC files, only you need to use the samba (smb) protocol instead, for some reason android does not recognise ad hoc networks

Thanks for the replies guys...

Not sure if I saw it on this site or another, but I use a method devised by 'thwack69', I.e. set your phone up as an ftp server and tablet as ftp client, filexpert does a beautiful job for both, and then just copy or stream files at will. You can also do the same with windows PC files, only you need to use the samba (smb) protocol instead, for some reason android does not recognise ad hoc networks

I have tried a similar setup but didn't like streaming from my phone + no wifi allowed during a flight. You can watch films that are on your pc via normal network shares using bsplayer for Android.

What about one of those portable battery powered WiFi hard drives? Or if your phone has a ton of storage, run twonky on it.

I did look into the wi-drive but really want to avoid streaming.

Just use a USB micro male - USB Female cable (also known as USB OTG) and then plug in whatever USB memory stick you fancy.

I guess this has to be the way to go, shame nobody makes a micro usb micro sized flash drive. Do you find the cable/dongle flapping around a problem?

Guest Alan Ferrier

Yeah, I got one. Plus point: works fine. Minus points: 1. The cap doesn't fit and just falls off. 2. It's a little flimsy. I'm concerned that if I knock it accidentally while it's plugged in it'll just snap off the microUSB connector. I got a USB OTG cable and it feels a little more secure and less likely to be damaged by rough-ish handling.

Yeah, I got one. Plus point: works fine. Minus points: 1. The cap doesn't fit and just falls off. 2. It's a little flimsy. I'm concerned that if I knock it accidentally while it's plugged in it'll just snap off the microUSB connector. I got a USB OTG cable and it feels a little more secure and less likely to be damaged by rough-ish handling.

Thanks for that... think I'll avoid that one then!

I guess this has to be the way to go, shame nobody makes a micro usb micro sized flash drive. Do you find the cable/dongle flapping around a problem?

It should not be a problem, and you can always tuck it in whatever case you are using.

Guest gitf@ce

It should not be a problem, and you can always tuck it in whatever case you are using.

I've caved in and got an OTG cable/flash drive + Wi-Drive (for in house use). Thanks for the info....