OSD Heat+screen

Guest dabiboy

Hi,

I have noticed that my OSD after 5 minutes of doing anything gets worm on the bottom and stay that way. This is fine, cause a lot new phones get warm when in usage.

BUT, when it gets warm, on the bottom of the screen (in the middle) colors seems to get brighter. It is specially visible when screen displays grey color. This brighter spot is about 1cm x 1cm. I recon that it is where CPU is located and gets most warm. Does anybody else has this problem?

If so, I'll understand that it is just small fault with build. If not, I'll return it.

Thanks!

dabs

Guest BlueMoonRising

Wish I'd not seen this thread now. I've got the same 1cm sq. patch when it gets warm. You're right it's more noticeable when it's a grey/dark uniform colour.

I don't think I'll let it bother me too much but now I know it's there I keep looking for it...

Guest runhidesurvive

I had a nasty patch where you describe on my first phone, started out grey, then turned into a bright orange blob when the phone was hot. I managed to get the handset replaced at an Orange shop, the second one is far better, but I still notice a distortion of the colours in the same area when the phone gets warm. I guess the Medfield chip just runs pretty hot and given that the phone is quite thin, there is some flexing and pressure on other components when things warm up.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Just received my replacement OSD(on a Sunday at that). I talked to the Orange shop yesterday who put me on to Customer Service(eventually anyway, it was amusing to see Orange staff put through the same hoops, i.e. keep getting the iPhone section, as ourselves).

Putting it on charge, hopefully it runs a bit cooler than the previous one. Pretty quick service I must say, I had serious doubts of it turning up.

Now I have to decide on ICS? Or should I wait for Orange since I've had to swap my first phone due to too much heat? I'll give them a couple of weeks while I check the phone out.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I don't have this overheating problem, hour of two of hard gaming, no hoter than 45c, no strange colors either around where the cpu I assume is.

Mine started out white and seemed to get brighter over time(or perhaps that was just my imagination). It ran hot even when browsing or using WhatsApp(an IM type program) as well as gaming. In fact it felt too hot around the same area even when charging.

Maybe whatever cooling solution they use wasn't seated right. I'll see how I get on over the next couple of weeks. That's the only reason I'm holding off from ICS right now.

Guest dabiboy

Just updated to ICS. Runs cooler and the patch on the screen is barely visible now and only under running something heavy. I think on 2.3 alot of apps were emulated, but on ICS runs native so CPU doesn't have to work as hard.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I posted this elsewhere but since the subject came up(sort of) is there any advantage to ICS only launchers?

I presently use Holo Launcher on GB but is there any performance advantage to using say Apex Launcher which is ICS only? Or do they have access to features that Holo doesn't?

This will probably sway me to update if there is advantage to be had. I have noted you can control the governor and CPU speed in ICS.