[OFFICIAL] Indian owners thread for Note 2 Reviews, Prices & more

Guest sumeshd

Guest Aditya_e

I dont live in goa and i dont slide my phone on the table. So I guess scratches will come if you use it like a gorilla. But it wont if you use it like a human. <br />You can always apply a Scratchcard and be happy.<br />

Edited by Aditya_e

I dont live in goa and i dont slide my phone on the table. So I guess scratches will come if you use it like a gorilla. But it wont if you use it like a human. <br />You can always apply a Scratchcard and be happy.<br />

NA

Edited by j89

Guest JulyDerek

Bought my second Galaxy Note... this time a white! Yes, gray is definitely better; any day. The back though slips little less.

I have a grey but I preferred the back of the Note 1.

I have a grey but I preferred the back of the Note 1.

+1. I agree. That's why I got a capdase back cover for the grey; slips far less with it; a bargain for 170 odd bucks.

Guest sumeshd

Nope. But make sure the connectors are all fine etc . The charging speed is based on the phone charger not the cable.

You should be able to find even original nokia micro usb cables for not too much. Original cables would be better quality tested.

It also depends on charging cable..some touchscreen phones will also have touch problems when using different cable..

Here's a quote from some1 frm xda :

You might have noticed that smaller the phone, the larger the charging cable comes with it.

and the larger phone, and tablets have decreasing charger cable lengths. Also, the charging cable become thicker as the device becomes more power hungry.

This all comes down to a simple explaination that longer and thinner cables have more impedance, and thicker and shorted cables have less resistance...

This is to cover up for the amount of power the device will consume in order to get charged, and hence, result in a different "quality" of charge.

Also, some cable, like that of Nokia, do not run on touchscreen samsung phones. This may also be because of the difference in power output, as they may not fulfill the requirements which the latter needs.

It also depends on charging cable..some touchscreen phones will also have touch problems when using different cable..

Here's a quote from some1 frm xda :

You might have noticed that smaller the phone, the larger the charging cable comes with it.

and the larger phone, and tablets have decreasing charger cable lengths. Also, the charging cable become thicker as the device becomes more power hungry.

This all comes down to a simple explaination that longer and thinner cables have more impedance, and thicker and shorted cables have less resistance...

This is to cover up for the amount of power the device will consume in order to get charged, and hence, result in a different "quality" of charge.

Also, some cable, like that of Nokia, do not run on touchscreen samsung phones. This may also be because of the difference in power output, as they may not fulfill the requirements which the latter needs.

Sumesh sorry to break the bubble bro. But, it's the same mumbo jumbo between a 5K HDMI cable and 100 buck cable. There would be a quality difference in terms of cable, the connectors but if there is any difference in performance you are not going to notice it. Now, I might buy one over the other, because of the brand or simply because the components used for that product might be better.

I hear the same stuff when people use car chargers. Oh god, you are going to kill your phone. In my last 14 years of owning these things, I haven't killed any.

The length of the cable does change resistance but we are not talking about many meters. At the end of the day what matters is what is the output of your charger; if you use a higher AMP charger, you will charge the battery faster and if you use a lower AMP charger, it becomes slower. Note 2 uses a 2A charger.

Of course all USB chargers are supposed to provide 5V but if they provide higher or lesser then you might have a problem.

Edited by j89

I have been using my wife's Blackberry charger for my Note 2 at home. I hope I'm not screwing up something....

Nope. You won't. If you are in doubt look up the voltage and amperes rating on the charger; it should be 5V. Anything below 2A would be just fine, it just would charge slower.

Remember, you can use your PC also to charge, which outputs far lower AMP current. I use my Airport Express often to charge phones. :)

Edited by j89

Could some one please let me know the following :

1) How to install big files like Games from Google Playstore directly into the External MicroSD card instead of the phone ?

2) Which is the best Anti Virus for N7100 ?

Thanks

Nope. You won't. If you are in doubt look up the voltage and amperes rating on the charger; it should be 5V. Anything below 2A would be just fine, it just would charge slower.

Remember, you can use your PC also to charge, which outputs far lower AMP current. I use my Airport Express often to charge phones. :)

From the above discussion,does it mean people have to buy a new car charger specifically for N7100 as the car voltage is supposed to be 12 V I think.

Or do the existing car chargers themselves reduce the voltage from 12v to 5v ?

N7100 should have come in DUAL SIM version.

I have never used a Micro Sim card and am a bit skeptical in cutting regular SIM Cards.I have been using WiFi and 3G connection via WiFi hotspot on tablet my since yesterday after I received my N7100.

I have 2 SIM Cards : Airtel and BSNL.I think Airtel .being a private company,might replace the SIM Card if it is cut wrongly but what about BSNL ?

Has anyone faced problem regarding SIM replacement with the above companies ?

From the above discussion,does it mean people have to buy a new car charger specifically for N7100 as the car voltage is supposed to be 12 V I think.

Or do the existing car chargers themselves reduce the voltage from 12v to 5v ?

No, you won't have to buy a charger for converting voltage because all car chargers convert 12V to 5V.

The issue is with the AMPS it would provide. Most car chargers do between 400ma to 600ma. For powering all the functions of the Note 2 you would need at least a 1A charger. If you use charger which provides less current, it won't charge or take a long time to charge or simply start using the battery the moment you start something that consumes more current.

Samsung makes one model ECA-U16CBE, which provides 1A current.

Edited by j89

N7100 should have come in DUAL SIM version.

I have never used a Micro Sim card and am a bit skeptical in cutting regular SIM Cards.I have been using WiFi and 3G connection via WiFi hotspot on tablet my since yesterday after I received my N7100.

I have 2 SIM Cards : Airtel and BSNL.I think Airtel .being a private company,might replace the SIM Card if it is cut wrongly but what about BSNL ?

Has anyone faced problem regarding SIM replacement with the above companies ?

There are reports of a dual sim version of N7100 but that's only for China. There is no need to cut your micro-sim ask your operator to just give you one. For airtel walk into any airtel outlet and ask for a micro-sim, it gets activated in less than 4 hours. BSNL you would have to check.

Could some one please let me know the following :

1) How to install big files like Games from Google Playstore directly into the External MicroSD card instead of the phone ?

2) Which is the best Anti Virus for N7100 ?

Thanks

1.There is no direct way of installing apps to micro sd other hacking some stuff together. You should be able to do this also if you root your phone. However, that said it's fairly simple to move apps to SD after they are installed.

2. Avast is the better of the lot. But, then again I don't use any. I have found anti-virus scanners to more of a pain, as long as you are careful with what you download and install, you should be okay without one.

1.There is no direct way of installing apps to micro sd other hacking some stuff together. You should be able to do this also if you root your phone. However, that said it's fairly simple to move apps to SD after they are installed.

2. Avast is the better of the lot. But, then again I don't use any. I have found anti-virus scanners to more of a pain, as long as you are careful with what you download and install, you should be okay without one.

OK,Thanks for the info.

Now how to move Apps including apk files to the External SD Card after downloading or installing ?

Edited by hs65

Guest sumeshd

I think I will have to root this phone after all..

Reasons: using more apps in multi window..I dnt use it now at all bcoz the apps I use d most arent in there..

2nd reason: for all here to keep in mind..

Any operator in india do not use fast dormancy and if it is also enabled then it will cause wakelocks and battery drain..

Here's d details of what u should know if u already dont know about fd : http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-disable-fast.html?m=1

Here is me having wakelocks...

post-913023-13505732555571_thumb.jpgpost-913023-13505732797953_thumb.jpg

The only app that disables fast dormancy is by gokhanmoral and it needs root..

So sadly I will need to root it after all..

But remember u can get updates and ota as normal and install even after rooting..

Guest ithehappy

Well an Android without 'root' is like a half cooked OS. And there are plethora of problems in very Android.

But remember u can get updates and ota as normal and install even after rooting..

Negative.

Edited by ithehappy

Guest sumeshd

Negative.

U can..steps are

Root with cf root

everything should be stock..kernel and recovery

Then run triangle away

Factory reset data

Clear cache and dalvick again

U will receive ota as normal and u can download and install it as normal..

Guest ithehappy

Yea, that way you can, but who will Factory Reset data each time there is an OTA update? I certainly won't. Or you can take a Nandroid beforehand. Still, it's time consuming.

Edited by ithehappy

Guest sumeshd

U dnt need to do it everytime..just once..

The 12 mb ota we got last only had a root wipe..nt before that..

Well either root or battery drain..u will have to live with it I guess!!

Guest ithehappy

Okay so you saying if I wipe data once then I will be receiving the next OTA update without wiping? I didn't know that. But I won't be receiving it anyway as I'm rooted with advanced CWM. I guess I will download the full damn ROM in case an OTA update pops up in future, lol. And yes, I can't live without root :P

Is there any way to back up everything ie photos,videos,recordings etc to the external Microsd card in one go instead of going to each individual app for back up ?