TomTom for Android finally arrives in the Play Store

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Long rumoured to have been on the way, TomTom for Android has finally arrived in the Play Store! The app, priced at £30.99 for UK maps, £39.99 for Western Europe and £49.99 for the whole of Europe brings with it all of the best bits of TomTom's PND devices for your phone. Well, maybe not YOUR phone... because there's a catch.

The catch is that, for now, TomTom only supports devices with a screen resolution of up to 800x480 / 854x480, which excludes a raft of the latest devices!

This is a real shame as the feature set is very solid. As well as the obvious advantage of onboard maps (no data connection needed), TomTom for Android includes free lifetime updates to the map data, live 'TomTom HD Traffic' data based 'IQ Routes', Speed Camera alerts, advanced lane guidance, spoken street names, eco-routes (drive the most economical journeys), multi stop routes and much more.

Pricing is slightly higher than my existing favourite, Co-Pilot Live but, well, with the very limited device compatability it'll be an irrelevance for many MoDaCo readers. :(

Here's hoping the restriction is removed soon. Head on over to the Play Store to download or learn more!

tomtomsss.png

Click here to view the item

Guest Calamity James

Why do people insist on naming features after a resolution? "HD Traffic"?!

Pretty underwhelmed to be honest, the decision to use such low resolutions is very shortsighted. Will definitely be sticking to Co-Pilot!

Guest T39andcounting

I've invested in CoPilot, so I doubt I'll be spending more to buy TomTom, even if I could, which I can't as my Galaxy Nexus is not compatible with the resolution!

I used to use TomTom on Windows Mobile back when I had a Palm Treo! I remember thinking it was a superior product when I moved to Android and started using CoPilot, but I just think TomTom have missed the boat. Majority of people will already have invested in CoPilot, or be happy using the free Google Nav. The only thing that may change this is if CoPilot decide to roll out an updated version and charge existing users for it. If they do that, I'd be tempted to switch.

Guest Hans Gruber

I'll give it a go but it's disappointing that you need to pay extra for the speed cameras. I think they're included on the iOS version.

Guest andybarker

Where does one find iGo for Android?

P

Didn't you mean to say "Where do iGo to find iGo for Android?"

Did make me laugh reading the resolution limitation. I also bought CoPilot a while ago, and can't think of a good reason to go back to TomTom.

Guest unrandomsam

Where does one find iGo for Android?

P

Seen as they only sell to OEM's the only place would be other device rom's.

(No different legally or idologically to making a sense rom for a non sense device or using the HTC IME on a none HTC device).

Navigon is the best. (Only one out of Copilot / Sygic / Navigon that knew that a certain road was a bridlepath and made a sensible decision).

I tested them all for a month. Navigon is the only one that is significantly better than you can get just by looking at a paper map and working out where you need to go.

Memory Map is good when you are walking about.

I don't think tomtom's (Teleatlas Maps) are that good for the UK.

Ordinance Survey/Navteq/Telatlas. (Best to Worst).

Problem is the best OS data costs a fortune. (I have only ever seen it for a small town).

Meh! Happily using Google with MapQuest as a backup. In fact with the ability to save areas Google allows me to keep the data down. Must try some of those others... which are free?

Who the hell buys map/nav apps, try navfree if you want something simple that does the job, or osmand if your prepared to put a bit more effort in, both free, offline, voice turn by turn nav, but osmand supports gpx tracks for waypoint navigation, especially useful for cyclists

Guest mrg9999

As a beta tester, I have had it running for a transformer 101, ZTE blade, Huweli star and a Galaxy S2. It can be made to run on a number of devices with some tweaking. I'm sure Tomtom will release more compatabiltiy soon.

Guest SOUEUPA

TomTom working fine on my LG P990 without problem with west europe maps on MOD cm7.

The only issue i have is with the shity sound on the LG can't hear the comments whilst driving.

Nice to see TomTom finally giving you free map updates. When I was using them on Windows Mobile, a map update would mean you'd have to buy a brand new version of TomTom at full price (no discount for existing customers). That alone indicated that TomTom generally didn't give a fig about it's customers and I have never looked back since buying Co-Pilot, the latest updates show me that Co-Pilot are on the right track in terms of improvements. Serves TomTom right for ignoring the mobile market and foolishly thinking PND's were the only way forward.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.